Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250242-ateco-engine-shop-good-bad.html)

CigDaze 03-31-2011 02:10 PM

Another warranty that does nothing for the customer, but it unconditionally covers the builder's ass.

FogduckerIII 03-31-2011 02:25 PM

Basically, when the buyer does an oil change, under the conditions of the warranty, it is void.....:lolhit:

ElimiNordic 03-31-2011 03:01 PM

This is simply the most outrageous warranty I have ever seen. I know you are trying to cover your exposure to misuse, but come on.

If a customer installs his own engine himself, it's out of warranty. No wonder you have only a 50% customer satisfaction history.

If a customer ever has any problem at all, you have a legal out. I can't believe anyone reading this document would ever do business with your shop.

You may be cheap, as one post mentioned, but cheap is never a good thing to be in the world of high performance engines.

Good thing you keep your builds to "low horsepower" as I would hate to see what would happen to your customers if they ever wanted over 800 or 900 hp.

waterbum 03-31-2011 03:34 PM

So now the object of the attacks is the warranty?

I checked out a few engine warranties (those that put them online). They are very similiar to each other in principle. The intent appears to be to protect the vendor against the multitude of dumb things a new motor owner may do. If it can be proven the motor had issues that arose from the assembly of the motor and not something out of their control, most vendors appear willing to work with the buyer.

How about this for a warranty?
"Here is your engine. It ran fine at our shop with the proper cooling, fuel, and accessories. If anything goes wrong, we'll just give you another one because we're certain you did nothing that might have caused the failure. If you think anything is wrong with the motor, just take it anywhere you want, and tell them we'll be happy to pay for whatever they want to do the motor. To make this easier, we'll just give you our bank account number and pin. Feel free to make withdrawals whenever you want. If you want us to re-use your old parts or parts you got as a killer deal as we rebuild your engine we'll give you the same warranty. If you're not sure how to install the motor, that's fine. We'll pay for anything that goes wrong while you practice putting in the new motors as many times as you want. Our hope is that you never have to pay another dime for anything that may go wrong with this motor, no matter what may happen. Happy Boating!!!"

First place that has one of these warranties will do a booming business (at least for a little while).

ElimiNordic 03-31-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by waterbum (Post 3364968)

I checked out a few engine warranties (those that put them online). They are very similiar to each other in principle. The intent appears to be to protect the vendor against the multitude of dumb things a new motor owner may do. If it can be proven the motor had issues that arose from the assembly of the motor and not something out of their control, most vendors appear willing to work with the buyer.

"Here is your engine. It ran fine at our shop with the proper cooling, fuel, and accessories. If anything goes wrong, we'll just give you another one because we're certain you did nothing that might have caused the failure. If you think anything is wrong with the motor, just take it anywhere you want, and tell them we'll be happy to pay for whatever they want to do the motor. To make this easier, we'll just give you our bank account number and pin. Feel free to make withdrawals whenever you want. If you want us to re-use your old parts or parts you got as a killer deal as we rebuild your engine we'll give you the same warranty. If you're not sure how to install the motor, that's fine. We'll pay for anything that goes wrong while you practice putting in the new motors as many times as you want. Our hope is that you never have to pay another dime for anything that may go wrong with this motor, no matter what may happen. Happy Boating!!!"

First place that has one of these warranties will do a booming business (at least for a little while).

You miss the point. This is about not running the engine on the dyno before shipped and not refunding the money paid for a dyno pull not preformed.

This is about shipping a engine with a hole in the block that Ateco did not cause, but did not catch. If they had bothered to at least check this block or run the engine before shipped, this would have never happened.

And this is about taking 9 months and 6000 views on line to at least return a phone call to an unhappy customer.

Anyone who defends this type of customer service is marching to a different drummer than I and they should most assuredly should use this shop.

Mastercraft240 03-31-2011 04:26 PM

Your clearly so out of touch with the realities of the situation. Just to allow you to dig yourself an even bigger hole than you've already done, please feel free to pm me these warranty's you speak of. I've had a mechanic take outy engine replace a rear main seal and put it back in for the cost of the part..... And it wasn't even his fault. You clearly haven't had much or any dealings with high performance mechanics.

waterbum 03-31-2011 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3364979)
You miss the point. This is about not running the engine on the dyno before shipped and not refunding the money paid for a dyno pull not preformed.

This is about shipping a engine with a hole in the block that Ateco did not cause, but did not catch. If they had bothered to at least check this block or run the engine before shipped, this would have never happened.

And this is about taking 9 months and 6000 views on line to at least return a phone call to an unhappy customer.

Anyone who defends this type of customer service is marching to a different drummer than I and they should most assuredly should use this shop.

I respectfully submit that you are missing the point. I'm not defending anyone. I'm pointing out the foolishness of critiquing a warranty. A warranty is a framework to establish some expectations about the business relationship and resolving issue.

It's my opinion that this warranty is no different that 99% of the warranties I read with products purshased everyday. It's a result of the pervasive litigation that seems to occur in our culture and an attempt by entities to protect themselves against the absurd claims people dream up.

If you're a business owner and want to write a "better" warranty", have at it. Could be an opportunity to set the standard for the warranty industry.

As for the specifics of the incidents raised here I have no opinion as I believe the only people who can resolve them are those directly involved and really know what's happening.

If your convinced that you would rather not do business with this vendor, then don't. It appears there are some people who have had a good exerience with them and a few that have not.

I happen to have a local engine builder that I trust and will continue to use whenever necessary. I have no written warranty. Just an understanding that he is a qualified engine builder and does great work. If something breaks we'll talk about how to get it resolved.

LubeJobs42 03-31-2011 05:03 PM

+1

waterbum 03-31-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 (Post 3365010)
Your clearly so out of touch with the realities of the situation. Just to allow you to dig yourself an even bigger hole than you've already done, please feel free to pm me these warranty's you speak of. I've had a mechanic take outy engine replace a rear main seal and put it back in for the cost of the part..... And it wasn't even his fault. You clearly haven't had much or any dealings with high performance mechanics.

I did not realize that lacking a thorough understanding of the "realities" of this situation meant I could not offer an observation. I clearly haven't much dealings with high performance mechanics. Just a builder that built me a pair of 540 CID 700HP engines and has built many basic to 1500 HP motors.

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 (Post 3363877)
Not sure what the real story is..... honestly don't care. But, anyone that relies on OSO for the "truth" or as their main source of information is so out of the loop it's not even funny. ElimiNordic, I know you haven't been around awhile, and seem like a good guy.... but you're wasting your time with these long written posts trying to prove why an enginebuilder coming online to bring out the truth would be a positive thing to do. I believe someone mentioned it before, but most of the big time guys don't go on online forums..... and for good reason.

I was merely pointing out the futility of getting upset with a pretty standard warranty.

Want some warranty reading - go ahead.
http://www.propowermarine.com/2yr-warranty.htm
http://www.eagleenginesales.com/warranty/marine
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp.shtml
http://usaboatmotor.com/advanced-marine-engine-warranty
http://www.ilmor.com/user_area/conte...rranty-v-5.pdf
http://wheelersengines.com/warranty.html

Most big name builders (ie. Sterling, Chief, Teague, Young) do not post their warranties online (nothing implied just an observation). Want to read some really consumer friendly warranties. Take a look at those extended car warranties.

GRH 03-31-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by DonZ (Post 3361616)
Hey guys im looking for some feedback on ATECO.....i want to know if they're trustworthy people or not....if they decieve customers with false dyno sheets or advertise engines at a particular HP and than provide a different story ??

i need some help....

thanks

There is no such thing as a "trustworthy" engine buuilder.... just ask "one" of the dissatified cutomers that EVERY engine builder has had to deal with at one time or another.... for engine builders the old saying is "F a r t once & they call you stinky for the rest of your life".....