ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ?? >

ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ??

Notices

ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ??

Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatman22
I agree there are always 2 sides to a story...but this hole should have been caught when the block was being bored, line honed, and cam bearings installed.
No I agree 100%. I can't imagine a builder missing that! My engine builder is a Ga Tech engineer and he is so careful double and triple checking everything to the point redundancy, it is amazing. But you put so much money in the machine work of a block, you can't take any chances like that. If there is a problem like this, all the time honing, decking, boring etc is down the drain. The parts you buy are really just a part of the build. Making them all fit properly is a huge part of the whole process. I am anxious to hear from them how in the word they could have missed this. We do not even let a hairline crack get through, much less a hole. After a engine has had major failure, you make sure the block is good before you start to sink money in it.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Haley'sComet
Mr. LubeJobs, something just doesn't make sense with your post. If you have known Brad Z for 10 + years and you heard of the kick ass engines being built at his shop & such a great reputation he has that you spoke highly of, and you guys are MTI bros ...

With all the problems you speak of having with your high performance engines, done from the best of the best of engine builders, coming in with broken valves & cracked pistons, why would you not have investor Brad Z & ATECO build your motors? You did state that he's got a great reputation,and also those kick ass engines that are being done over there?????

I hear crickets ....
If you are heaing crickets you should probably get your hearing checked. How am i supposed to resond before you even post?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
First off I am an engine customer, not a builder. I am on the consumer side. I am basically stating facts that people that do not have performance motors and have not been through lots of rebuilds before may not understand or take into consideration.

The point is there are different factors with every engine failure. I would bet at least 50% of engine failures on newly rebuilt engines are caused by factors outside the engine. Rigging, water issues, fuel issues, abuse, improper break in, etc.
Some are not admitted or understanded by the pissed off engine owner. Some factors are not even realized. We are constantly trying to improve the rigging on the boats for the engine to perform the best is can.

Another factor that happens all the time is the customer insists on saving money and not replacing parts that probably should have been replaced.

The instance when I dropped a valve, the engine builder called and said the heads are tired and should be replaced. The heads on those particular motors were about $10k a set with the machine work. That is an extra $20k on a 2 engine rebuild.
I told him to fix the old heads and use them.
When the valve dropped, even though i was pissed off that i just had the engines rebuilt, whose fault was it?
Agreed...

Then it seems like a pretty easy situation to remedy...

All one would have to do is post the fact that they were warned that the build was "AS-IS" and there is no problem...

No one has done that because that was not the case with the guys who spent big $$$ and had big problems.

I know it is easy to attach pictures and/or documents here on OSO, and a simple invoice from Ateco stating any issue with using "used" parts wasn't warranteed, or guaranteed, etc., etc., would help to clarify.

Or, that the parts were "At the end of their useful life" wouldf be helpful too...

Really... there is SOMETHING wrong somewhere if this just keeps going on and on...
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Registered

If you are heaing crickets you should probably get your hearing checked. How am i supposed to resond before you even post?
I'm working on it...

I was surprised you are still here because you said you were going to do something with your motor...

It is coming...
Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered

Ateco dosen't specialize in engines over 1,000 hp. If i was doing a 700 or 900 I wouldn't hesitate sending it up there.
Also, it's pretty far away. Many of my issues were with companies closer.

As for hearing crickets, i don't sit on OSO waiting to respond to questions. I'm busy making money for my next rebuilds!
Ummm...

Just checked the Ateco Website and this is in the "About Us"
section:

"Our location in Waukegan, IL, places us half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee, WI which is prime territory for high-performance boating and auto racing. Included in our list of custom engines are Honda B-16 Vtec engines, 810HP dirt and asphalt late models as well as marine engines up to 1300HP Poker Run engines. We love the thrill of high performance work, however we are also your “one stop shop” for any machining project or engine rebuild. No job’s too small.

Here's the link:

http://www.atecoengines.com/About.aspx
Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Registered

Secondly, it's not Brads shop. He was a customer and invested some money in equipment.
I think investing in the stock market is a good idea
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

My hearing is still okay and I appreciate your concern...

The "Crickets" refers to the total lack of response, negative or otherwise, on the part of Ateco, and/or the responsible parties invloved.

One guy waited months, then FLEW to the town Ateco was in, rented a TRUCK to go get his motors, and even after all that, he gave it another go, just to have the problems he is having now, or rather then.

I do want to state publicly that you and I do not know each other personally. It seemed by the comment of "If you are hearing crickets you should probably get your hearing checked..."

Might be perceived as a personal attack. I am thinking it is not.

Please clarify

Last edited by Haley'sComet; 03-30-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: to correct the spelling
Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 280 Likes on 169 Posts

I can really feel the love on this thread.

Your going to find a dissatisfied customer from every builder. Lots of these problems could of been solved if the customer would of done their due diligence. Get a signed contract/agreement, with stated cost, time to complete, and payment terms. Specify how long it will take and how unexpected cost are going to be resolved. Be professional, treat your engine build like a construction contract. Its extremely important for a customer to state their expectations and goals, or it will be almost impossible for the builder to meet them. And if you don't state your expectations and terms you can expect the builder to complete the project according to their own terms.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 03-30-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Haley'sComet
My hearing is still okay and I appreciate your concern...

The "Crickets" refers to the total lack of response, negative or otherwise, on the part of Ateco, and/or the responsible parties invloved.

One guy waited months, then FLEW to the town Ateco was in, rented a TRUCK to go get his motors, and even after all that, he gave it another go, just to have the problems he is having now, or rather then.

I do want to state publicly that you and I do not know each other personally. It seemed by the comment of "If you are hearing crickets you should probably get your hearing checked..."

Might be perceived as a personal attack. I am thinking it is not.

Please clarify
To tell you the truth, i didn't even know brad was an investor in Ateco until this issue on OSO. I knew he was a customer and swore by their engines.

Just becuase Brad is a small investors dosen't mean he knows every detail on every deal. I have interest in several businesses but don't get into the day to day dealings.
If you have to be held accountable for a company you inverst in there are a lot of Enron investors that have some explaining to do.

Brad had some very fast boats and he was dealing with Ateco as long as i know him.

I actually met Brad back in 2002 when i bought a used set of 900's for my Motion.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by LubeJobs42; 03-30-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

This thread is spreading like a wild fire with 3667 views and it is time to hear the other side. It takes time to watch your public image and make sure your customers are happy. I advertise 100% customer satisfaction and it is a hard standard to achieve. Do I get taken advantage of with a policy like this? Sure I do, but the overall experience for the majority of my customers is worth the cost associated with dealing with the few dishonest ones out there. The owner or owners of this business should be concerned what the public thinks about their business and you can tell from the number of disclaimers on their web site, they have been through the ringer with more than a few customers. But stand up and call people back, make concessions, do the right thing and admit mistakes if made. I respect someone who would just stand up to mistakes and admit them as opposed to behaving like a small child and attempting to shift blame. Just say "I missed that hole in the block and I was in such a hurry to get it shipped out, I did not do a dyno pull even though I was clearly paid for it". Don't side step it or not return calls or neglect posting here except for fake posts with yourself. State the truth and let the chit fall where it may and you will gain everyone's respect and some people’s business. I find it absolutely ridiculous to read that Aetco does not want to build high hp engines. What pitcher does not want to pitch in the World Series, what quarterback does not want to play in the Super Bowl? To say that, is just plain not selecting your words carefully, thus making you look not truthful. If you have your engines built close to home by someone you know and trust, bully for you. That is the way it should be. I would never sign a contract with my engine builder!! I better trust him more than that or I am using the wrong guy. Do my builds run over on time? Yes sir every damn one of them. Are they done right? You can bet on it. It is not a speed race to build, there is plenty of time left to race later. Would I ever sue my builder? Never needed to and would never consider it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.