ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ?? >

ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ??

Notices

ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ??

Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I haven't been on the site much lately and didn't know about his whole issue until I read this. To me, Brad has taken a beating here. That is why I posted.
I know it is hard to see a friend get a beating in a forum like this, but it is not about Brad at all. I have followed his posts here and while I do not know him personally like you do, I like him as a fellow OSOer. But instead this thread is about a business that needs to respond to issues. It doesn't have to be here, it could be in private, but it should be addressed. Please don't take this thread as a personal assault on your friend, as it is not intended to be. But instead of coming on here and saying he has nothing to do Ateco, he should try and outline their side of these disputes and nip it in the bud.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Registered

I have been trying to resolve my situation with ATECO directly and not air dirty laundry on line. Yes there are two sides to every story and it has been drug out for 9 months without any answers. My very few posts have been about not getting replies to email and phone messages. I feel I have been very patient but I am extremely frustrated at this point. That is what causes bad customer relations.
Now brad z has posted about my engine over heating but does not say
why it overheated. It feels like he would like to air this on OSO for everyone to make there own decision on the situation. I'm OK with that too but as I have stated from the beginning in emails and messages - let me know if you require any further information please let me know. So if brad z or ATECO would like to for once to start the dialog they have my phone number and email address. If not then maybe they will reply to me here on OSO - at least reply to me
somewhere!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

#1 - " The truth is EVERY performance builder has some customers with stories. Like they say a happy customer may tell 2 or 3 people, an unhappy customer tells everyone..."

# 2 - "...You can’t imagine the stories I have from SEVERAL major performance builders over the years. I'm talking dropping valves at 2 hrs after a $25k rebuild. Pistons cracking at 3 hours after a complete rebuild. Leaning out the motor and melting pistons under 5 hours..."

# 3 - "...The boats water supply and the plumbing not being set up the same way the engine is set up for it can take out a motor in no time. Almost every time I get my motors back from where ever they were getting rebuilt, i have to change the plumbing around. All it takes is something to be bypassed or run with a splitter rather than direct and your rebuilt engine is junk!..."

# 4 - "...If I come on here and say "i just got my motor back 2 weeks ago and broke a rod and destroyed the motor and the engine builder told me he’s not warranting it" everyone would say the engine builder is a crook...."

# 5 - "...There are so many thieves and scumbags in this business to talk about and burn at the stake...";

#1 - This goes without saying... (Read this thread)

#2 - If I had a 25K motor rebuild that dropped a valve, or cracked a piston etc., etc., I'm gonna be calling the builder and saying WTH??? (What is the alternative? Sitting at home & thinking "Darn it... that was a bummer...")

#3 - Admittedly, I haven't yet had a $25K rebuild done on any of my motors but, if they were done at that price, and someone jacked around my plumbing routes or whatever... I'd be wondering why it was even touched in the first place without asking me in advance. The guys on here getting the $25K rebuilds have surgically clean boats and nothing is left to chance. More than likely they KNOW exactly how to run a motor during the first hours of that motor's life. (even if they did "cook" a motor, I'd think it would be good business to try and give the guy the absolute benefit of doubt, and bend over backwards to help him. Just my opinion there... I know there are engine builder's out there who anticipate that the motors they build might get run hard.

#4 - People usually say negative things if there is an unresolved issue at stake. Not returning phone calls or responding to certified mail, keeping someone in the dark as to the status of a build, and a general lack of good businessmanship would more than likely be considered as an unresolved issue.

#5 - How True...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM

After reading this I am really happy with my Merc 6.2's 25k for a rebuild
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Haley'sComet

#1 - This goes without saying... (Read this thread)

#2 - If I had a 25K motor rebuild that dropped a valve, or cracked a piston etc., etc., I'm gonna be calling the builder and saying WTH??? (What is the alternative? Sitting at home & thinking "Darn it... that was a bummer...")

#3 - Admittedly, I haven't yet had a $25K rebuild done on any of my motors but, if they were done at that price, and someone jacked around my plumbing routes or whatever... I'd be wondering why it was even touched in the first place without asking me in advance. The guys on here getting the $25K rebuilds have surgically clean boats and nothing is left to chance. More than likely they KNOW exactly how to run a motor during the first hours of that motor's life. (even if they did "cook" a motor, I'd think it would be good business to try and give the guy the absolute benefit of doubt, and bend over backwards to help him. Just my opinion there... I know there are engine builder's out there who anticipate that the motors they build might get run hard.

#4 - People usually say negative things if there is an unresolved issue at stake. Not returning phone calls or responding to certified mail, keeping someone in the dark as to the status of a build, and a general lack of good businessmanship would more than likely be considered as an unresolved issue.

#5 - How True...

When you start to play in the big money, high horse engines, you can have things like a valve problem, score or damage a piston, etc. and it is nobody’s fault, it comes with the territory. You can't go back to the builder and assign fault sometimes. But there can be an answer somewhere between full retail repair and a full warranty claim. I have always joked with my builder about "warranty", but really with a engine making 700, 800 or a 1000hp it is tough to believe you should get a warranty at all. As far rigging is concerned, I use to install all my own engines and rig them, but I found a shop who provides turnkey service. They remove my engines, build them, dyno and then rig and install them. This cost a little more but takes all the problems and arguments out of water lines, fuel lines etc. . That way when we do have issues, the blame can’t be shifted to my rigging. The key to this whole deal is use somebody you know and trust, visit their shop in person and see how they keep their shop. Is it neat and clean or a sloppy mess? I would never ever use a builder who is out of town, but that is just me. I have never built an engine where I didn't visit during the build and personally attend all dyno pulls. I am just curious.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
There is always two different sides to a story when there is a problem. After being in the middle of many disputes over the years, the one thing I have learned is there are always two sides and your have to openly listen to both to be informed.
I agree there are always 2 sides to a story...but this hole should have been caught when the block was being bored, line honed, and cam bearings installed.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered

I'm reading through this and I think its unfair Brad is getting beat up. As he admitted, he's an investor in Ateco.

I have never dealt with Ateco but I have heard many times Bill builds some kick ass engines and does have a great reputation.

I do know Brad over 10 years and he was a happy customer of Ateco long before an investor. I will also say he is a very honest guy with high morals...

:
Mr. LubeJobs, something just doesn't make sense with your post. If you have known Brad Z for 10 + years and you heard of the kick ass engines being built at his shop & such a great reputation he has that you spoke highly of, and you guys are MTI bros ...

With all the problems you speak of having with your high performance engines, done from the best of the best of engine builders, coming in with broken valves & cracked pistons, why would you not have investor Brad Z & ATECO build your motors? You did state that he's got a great reputation,and also those kick ass engines that are being done over there?????

I hear crickets ....
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

#5 - How True...

First off I am an engine customer, not a builder. I am on the consumer side. I am basically stating facts that people that do not have performance motors and have not been through lots of rebuilds before may not understand or take into consideration.

The point is there are different factors with every engine failure. I would bet at least 50% of engine failures on newly rebuilt engines are caused by factors outside the engine. Rigging, water issues, fuel issues, abuse, improper break in, etc.
Some are not admitted or understanded by the pissed off engine owner. Some factors are not even realized. We are constantly trying to improve the rigging on the boats for the engine to perform the best is can.

Another factor that happens all the time is the customer insists on saving money and not replacing parts that probably should have been replaced.

The instance when I dropped a valve, the engine builder called and said the heads are tired and should be replaced. The heads on those particular motors were about $10k a set with the machine work. That is an extra $20k on a 2 engine rebuild.
I told him to fix the old heads and use them.
When the valve dropped, even though i was pissed off that i just had the engines rebuilt, whose fault was it?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered

Mr. LubeJobs, something just doesn't make sense with your post. If you have known Brad Z for 10 + years and you heard of the kick ass engines being built at his shop & such a great reputation he has that you spoke highly of, and you guys are MTI bros ...

With all the problems you speak of having with your high performance engines, done from the best of the best of engine builders, coming in with broken valves & cracked pistons, why would you not have investor Brad Z & ATECO build your motors? You did state that he's got a great reputation,and also those kick ass engines that are being done over there?????

I hear crickets ....

Ateco dosen't specialize in engines over 1,000 hp. If i was doing a 700 or 900 I wouldn't hesitate sending it up there.
Also, it's pretty far away. Many of my issues were with companies closer.

As for hearing crickets, i don't sit on OSO waiting to respond to questions. I'm busy making money for my next rebuilds!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

I hear crickets ....
Secondly, it's not Brads shop. He was a customer and invested some money in equipment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.