Notices

Cat Killer !

Old 06-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Cat Killer !

WOW Did anyone else read this Article?

June 13, 2006 – WASHINGTON, NC – As the next step in its mission to build the fastest boat on the water in any kind of competition, Fountain Powerboats entered its new offshore Super Boat Rio Roses Fountain Mercury in the Jacksonville Fire & Police River Rally Poker Run, held in Jacksonville, Florida, on June 10. Fountain sport boats were well represented in the fleet of 120 hot boats, which also included a group of big high-powered catamarans boasting speeds of 140 to 180 mph. “We wanted to make a good showing for our customers,” said Reggie Fountain, CEO of Fountain Powerboats. “There were a lot of real fast boats out there. We don’t want to dispute the speeds they were running. But clearly and without question we were faster than they were. We have it on video.” David Knight was on the throttles and Ben Robertson was at the wheel of Rio Roses Fountain Mercury, a Super Vee Unlimited-class offshore racer based on a Fountain 47 Lightning Positive Lift stepped hull, with twin 1,500-hp Sterling motors. “The way we built that boat is the way we build the boats for all our customers, with the same lamination schedule,” Fountain said. He calls the big V-bottom boat “The Cat-Killer” because of its ability to outrun, out-handle and outlast the Super Cats, especially in rough water.

The rally took place along a 150-mile course on the St. John’s River. Event organizers divided the fleet into two groups, with the 100+ mph boats starting first. The Fountain team was waiting for the pace boat to signal the start when, according to Knight, about 16 boats jumped the gun, gaining a half-mile on the rest of the boats. “We were the seventeenth to start,” Knight said. “Within the first several miles, we had taken over the lead. When we came to the first card stop, there was nobody within half a mile of us.” After Rio Roses Fountain Mercury returned from the checkpoint, Knight reported, “All the big cats were waiting for us at the end of the canal like a street gang.” Due to no-wake zones, the lead changed hands several times, and the big MTI cat Speed Racer gave Rio Roses Fountain Mercury a serious run for its money. But the Fountain pulled ahead every time. “That was the story of the day,” Knight said. “We totally dominated the entire fleet of one hundred and twenty boats.”

“I think our boat is set up very well for acceleration and top speed,” he said. “We’re experienced drivers and we know how to get the most out of the boat.” Part of Fountain’s strategy in entering Rio Roses Fountain Mercury in events like the Jacksonville River Rally Poker Run is to gather information to take back to the Fountain engineering department for further R&D work. “We’re an engineering-driven company, always trying to push the technology bar to its highest limit,” says Knight, who also is executive vice president at Fountain. “We will then integrate all this into the boats we build for our customers.”

About Fountain Powerboat Industries Fountain Powerboat Industries has its executive offices and manufacturing facilities along the Pamlico River in Beaufort County, North Carolina. The company designs, manufactures and sells offshore sport boats, sport fishing boats and sport cruisers that target the segment of the recreational power boat market where speed, performance, safety and quality are the main criteria for purchase. These recreational boats are based upon an innovative, award-winning design enabling world class performance while using standard reliable power. There are currently 12 buildings located on 65 acres totaling over 238,000 square feet accommodating 40 to 45 boats in various stages of construction at any one time. The present plant site can also accommodate up to 300,000 square feet of additional manufacturing space. The land and buildings are wholly owned by Fountain Powerboat Industries, Inc. and its subsidiary, Fountain Powerboats, Inc. For more information, visit www.fountainpowerboats.com

Last Updated ( Friday, 16 June 2006 )
Attached Thumbnails Cat Killer !-fountain2.jpg  
Old 06-16-2006, 06:34 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cat Killer !

Yeah, unbelievable, ain't it? Heard this last sunday from Scott Shogren while he was on the phone with Reggie. I believe that this is the boat that Reggie is bringing to the Chicago Poker Run next month. He's got something up his sleeve, and it's hard to get a straight answer out of him, other than we'll be impressed with what he's bringing.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 06-16-2006, 07:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I'll put a street Monte Carlo up against Dale Jrs any day.....I never bashed beaks or reggie, but this idotic statement is too much even for him... Oh, and poker runs arent a race Mr Fountain...It's these types of statements that will be the downfall of the sport. Wonder what he will say when no one can afford insurance and his boats don't sell...
Old 06-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it a Race or a Poker Run ??????????????????

Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David Knight ( We totally dominated the entire fleet )

Was David at a Race ???????

What is he think ????????

Not very good for Fountain to put this out.

Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Re: Cat Killer !

Big ego's need to "dominate" poker runners out for fun and a good time with other performance enthusiasts by using professionals. I'm sure our insurance in the near future will exclude poker runs from coverage. After all, they are now bragging about the fact their boats compete at higher speeds during a poker run than in a santioned offshore race (no displacement rules). IMHO, must be inbreeding!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who's run in a big poker run, knows damn well they want to see who's the fastest, race or no race. I've never been a fan of Fountain boats, but you have to give credit where credit is due. He has backed up everything he's said that I know of, and usually with him in the boat. I was at the Marathon races, Debbie was listening to the broadcast on the radio, and she told me they clocked it at 161 going down the back stretch. I thought she must have heard it wrong, so I listened. The next lap he was clocked at 162. It was only a couple years ago, these would have been record speeds for a v hull on a kilo run, with engines designed to last just long enough to get the run in. Now his race boats are running those speeds. I've never understood all the Reggie hating on Oso, yeah, the hair dye and the gold chains are a bit much, but damn, he is probably the most recognized name in offshore powerboating, basically a living legend. In short, you can believe if anyone had a cat at the run that could beat him, they would have damn sure been giving it their best shot.

Don't hate the player.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

<------------------
Old 06-16-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Oh, and poker runs arent a race Mr Fountain...It's these types of statements that will be the downfall of the sport.
Why is it that the NY Poker Run has a "King of the Hudson" award for the boat that gets from the GWB to the TPZ bridge first, if its not a race?
Old 06-16-2006, 08:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Well no shiit dumbasses, but the last thing we need is the owner of fountain telling about it and bragging, why dont you self rightous a holes hang a sign out your car next time you have a beer and drive, or better yet go turn yourself in for speeding...Hell half you dimwits jump on the safety wagon about how safe you are and never get off the pier without a lifejacket, condom and water wings on, then you post pics of yourselves running with nothing on...get over yourselves.

and Duke, this isnt directed at you, your statement is true. I dont mind the race aspect of it, but the same people will be complaining when their ins company bans them from poker runs.
Originally Posted by cuda
I was at the Marathon races, Debbie was listening to the broadcast on the radio, and she told me they clocked it at 161 going down the back stretch. I thought she must have heard it wrong, so I listened. The next lap he was clocked at 162.

Don't hate the player.
EXACTLY my point, marathon was a race, Jax was a poker run, with some less skilled drivers in the water. So if a race driver does a burnout in a parking lot and hits a parked car is he still not liable?

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 06-16-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Cat Killer !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.