Notices

Do all cats lean

Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all cats lean

do all cats lean when you are turning I am just rigging a 15.5 express nitro with a 90hp johnson v4 and I feel like I am gonna tip over when I am turning I just started wet testing the boat but I am wondering for some input from you cat guys I hate feeling like I am gonna tip over do I have too much motor in the water or something or is that just the nature of the beast please help guys
Old 07-23-2011, 11:20 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget everything you knew about how a "V" bottom handles, especially in a turn. Take it easy at first, theres a big learning curve to a cat. Water can pile up on the outside in a turn and flip you like in sand or snow if you've ever had the pleasure. More like driving a car in a turn. Head in and power out. Do not abruptly let off the power while turning if you can help it. Build yp your speed as you gain confidence and experiance. I'm not familiar with a single engine cat, especially a single outboard but I'm thinking a cat hul is a cat hull. It takes time, seat time. I'm new to cats myself for about 3 seasons now and learning all the time. I'm sure some others with a lot more exp. than me will chime in soon. Maybe they'll tel me I'm wrong?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered

Not all cats lean out ,but most do..feels scarier than it is.. Thankfully Skater's lean in or turn flat...
Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

As speed increases and the tunnel starts to pack air the hull will turn flat or with a slight lean into it.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered

they are alot of fun when you learn to drive them..just dont in over your head..
Old 07-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
Forget everything you knew about how a "V" bottom handles, especially in a turn. Take it easy at first, theres a big learning curve to a cat. Water can pile up on the outside in a turn and flip you like in sand or snow if you've ever had the pleasure. More like driving a car in a turn. Head in and power out. Do not abruptly let off the power while turning if you can help it. Build yp your speed as you gain confidence and experiance. I'm not familiar with a single engine cat, especially a single outboard but I'm thinking a cat hul is a cat hull. It takes time, seat time. I'm new to cats myself for about 3 seasons now and learning all the time. I'm sure some others with a lot more exp. than me will chime in soon. Maybe they'll tel me I'm wrong?
You are not wrong.

Take small careful steps while learning and enjoy !!!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 26MartiniMan
do all cats lean when you are turning I am just rigging a 15.5 express nitro with a 90hp johnson v4 and I feel like I am gonna tip over when I am turning I just started wet testing the boat but I am wondering for some input from you cat guys I hate feeling like I am gonna tip over do I have too much motor in the water or something or is that just the nature of the beast please help guys
Don't forget about your center of gravity. The higher your powerhead the higher your center of gravity is which is not good. I always dropped engine height and trimmed out on my 21 Skaters. My first one in the 80's had a big V8 300 GT Johnson on a jack plate. It was scary as he'll in a turn but I was too young too appreciate how bad. My last one had a Merc 300XS which was not much better. I sold That boat after a couple of month of cleaning out my shorts.

Pay attention to battery and fuel tank size and placement. Keep them low and centered.

See if there is the possibility of a shorter mid section and take it easy!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

My little 13'er does and it takes some getting used to especially in a little boat.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

try one of these..and this is for all cats...

www.twintrimusa.com

I just put one on a 27 Ameracat.. works awesome..controls load or when people move around when under way.....

watch the video's..
Attached Thumbnails Do all cats lean-ameracat-001.jpg   Do all cats lean-ameracat-005.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My old 39' express cat. would lean out too. coming from a V that was scarry! Not as bad as finding out you should never pull back on the thottles in a turn. that thing would spin out like you were driving on snow! Like they said, slow down a little before the turn and hold that speed or even give it a little more in the turn. Power it through, never let out till your straight. Good luck, it's a fun learnign curve!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.