Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Vinyl Cleaning (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250364-vinyl-cleaning.html)

cigrocket 03-30-2011 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jmeng (Post 3363612)
I buy 303 by the gallon and use it after every time out. Usually only use swipes wipes on the seats. Any recomendations for something I can use on a toothbrush to clean the stitching in the seams on my bolsters? Seems to be the only place I get mildew.

On the stitching, I just use some good antibacterial soap and warm water, I also use a small nail brush from the local pharmacy store.

jmeng 03-30-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by cigrocket (Post 3363639)
On the stitching, I just use some good antibacterial soap and warm water, I also use a small nail brush from the local pharmacy store.

Thanks! Will give it a try. The stitching and the speaker covers drive me nuts. :lolhit:

Sheer Insanity 03-30-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 3363558)
Before I try the WD40 :eek:, does anyone have any recommendations for removing rust stains off of vinyl?

Try rust aid. (at home depot or Lowes) I get a rag wet with water and ring it out then pour a little rust aid on. Lay it on the spot for a minute or two and it should be gone. Wipe with fresh rag and the recondition the area with 303.

It will also take the rust/browning of the bottom of the hull. I put it in a pump sprayer and coat the whole bottom, let it sit for 5 mins and rinse off. It will leave a coating like dryed wax that you will have to scrub off by washing. ( Note: Cover trailer with plastic first. It wont hurt aluminum but will leave drip spots that look bad) I also hit any rusted bolts or metal areas on trailer.

SmurfOnABoat 03-30-2011 10:46 AM

Guys over at XT Innovations who did my interior said they use straight rubbing alcohol to clean vinyl.

I use diluted simple green and a magic eraser bar for heavily soiled vinyl, otherwise I use 3M Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer #09029. I also use 303 Aerospace to "sunblock" the vinyl and keep it looking good for many years to come!

sunsation96 03-30-2011 12:49 PM

Okay here is a crazy one a slight stain of red pop antifreeze? Or it could be a slight stain of tanning lotion I don't know? What would take that out? Where can this 303 be purchased? Thanks guy's!

SmurfOnABoat 03-30-2011 12:58 PM

Not sure where you live, but any good marine or rv place should have the 303.

Red is very tricky, I had watermelon stains all over my white vinyl a couple years back, and I tried EVERYTHING, nothing would take it out, finally I just left it out in the sun hoping that the UV rays would breakdown the red pigment, and there it was... The sun cleaned the red right up for me. Could give it a shot....

sunsation96 03-30-2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat (Post 3363867)
Not sure where you live, but any good marine or rv place should have the 303.

Red is very tricky, I had watermelon stains all over my white vinyl a couple years back, and I tried EVERYTHING, nothing would take it out, finally I just left it out in the sun hoping that the UV rays would breakdown the red pigment, and there it was... The sun cleaned the red right up for me. Could give it a shot....

Thanks I live in St. Clair Shores, MI I don't know what the stain is I just bought the boat in the fall but the little stain bothers me, I have tried Soft Scrub and Bio Kleen and a brush.

jmeng 03-30-2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by sunsation96 (Post 3363853)
Where can this 303 be purchased? Thanks guy's!

I would go ahead and buy a gallon. Much cheaper that way. Then go to home depot and pick up a spray bottle.

303 by the gallon

SmurfOnABoat 03-30-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by sunsation96 (Post 3363876)
Thanks I live in St. Clair Shores, MI I don't know what the stain is I just bought the boat in the fall but the little stain bothers me, I have tried Soft Scrub and Bio Kleen and a brush.

If you live in MI, then any west marine will have the 303 and a good selection of all detailing products.

bob_t 03-30-2011 04:17 PM

Best (cheapest) place I have found to buy 303 is at boatfix dot com. I usually buy it in the quart bottles. They have great prices on most waxes, too.