Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   State Farm Insurance Sucks (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25041-state-farm-insurance-sucks.html)

HavasuCat 05-23-2002 02:04 PM

State Farm Insurance Sucks

Well after insuring my 26' cat for the past 3 months I was just informed a few days ago that they were cancelling my policy. It took these idiots 3 months to figure out what the hell they had written me a policy on even though I sent them pictures, disclosed horepower ect... Now they say they don't insure cats.

Well the agent I have been dealing with is a good guy and tryed to straighten things out with the underwriters but he was not able to help. He then went to the underwriters boss to try to straighten things out and it must have pissed them off.

I just bought a new Top Gun that they quoted me a price on two weeks ago, and now they said they won't insure that either. Now I have until this weekend to find insurance someplace else. I would not recommend anyone getting insurance through these jackasses. Stick with a company that exclusively deals with boats, it may be a little more expensive but at least they don't have their head's up their asses.:mad:

CigDaze 05-23-2002 02:17 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles!:(

Thanks for the tip, though!
See my other post. Maybe you can jump in on the info!
:cool: ;)

CheckmateF1 05-23-2002 02:30 PM

I had the exact same problem with StateFarm. They dropped me after 3 months even after getting pics and all.

Call Buzz Fyhrie at Performance Marine Associates in Ft Lauderdale. Im very happy with them.

www.pmfastins.com (954)583-8556

Good luck, Eric

BAJA342 05-23-2002 02:35 PM

That sucks! Just be glad they said it now. Not when you were trying to make a claim. I just hope that all these other people that have State Farm, Nationwide etc etc with HP boats don't have a problem if they ever need to make a claim. Sure the low rates seem good but what are they really worth?

Sydwayz 05-23-2002 02:37 PM

Damn, now I am really perplexed. I was just about to switch from IMIS to State Farm because they have all my other insurance, and gave me a better deal than IMIS. Now what do I do?

enticer 05-23-2002 02:42 PM

CHILL OUT....DUDE. TAKE A PILL or 2
It isn't like you were not warned....all of you who have HP boats and we now who we are....especially the people who have not told all to their insurance companies. I myself was one for years...getting by on a few hundred a year for insurance and bragging about it. All it took was one incident (to a friend who boats) to see what can happen and leave you out to dry....and I mean dry...like in the middle of the desert. And all we keep hearing about the increases are because of the all famous 9-11. For the last 6 months a lot of members have posted about their insurance problems.......they are not lying..it's all true. So there are insurance compamies that will write your boats. No doubt more money.......but also you should have coverage for the next 30 days after they tell you.....that you are no longer covered...there has to be a stop date.

CigDaze 05-23-2002 02:47 PM

Just a warning about the fine print...

Many non-marine-dedicated insurance companies have much lower rates because they are property damage policies only(Your boat and possible liability to another boat/dock/etc. and are depreciated cash policies(not agreed value). In a total loss, do you want a check for the cash value of your aged boat in current market conditions or do you want to be able to pay off the loan and replace the boat.

They also may not be aware of salvage, CG, and maritime laws affecting boating. The scariest part is the environmental impact laws.

Many do not know that a simple running aground in some seagrass could cause a bill in hundreds of thousands of dollars to survey the area replace the seagrass. And a fuel spill...forget it, even more money for containment, clean-up, environmental rehabilitation....Beware.

Risk Taker 05-23-2002 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Baja Daze
Just a warning about the fine print...

Many non-marine-dedicated insurance companies have much lower rates because they are property damage policies only(Your boat and possible liability to another boat/dock/etc. and are depreciated cash policies(not agreed value). In a total loss, do you want a check for the cash value of your aged boat in current market conditions or do you want to be able to pay off the loan and replace the boat.

They also may not be aware of salvage, CG, and maritime laws affecting boating. The scariest part is the environmental impact laws.

Many do not know that a simple running aground in some seagrass could cause a bill in hundreds of thousands of dollars to survey the area replace the seagrass. And a fuel spill...forget it, even more money for containment, clean-up, environmental rehabilitation....Beware.

Lookin' for some part-time work.......................?????:D ;)

CigDaze 05-23-2002 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Risk Taker
Lookin' for some part-time work.......................?????:D ;)
;) :D

supercrash 05-23-2002 03:45 PM

Well can tell you guys about home insurance...sometimes I do insurance work and the big companys like state farm and allstate..... suck...If your house burns theywill barely fix it right...then they will make the contractor pay the bill and say they will repay you as the job goes along...ya right...you have to beg them...meanwhile the homeowner gets the house fixed and may be happy about it but they don't know that the contractor that fixed the place is still begging for their money back that they put up...The best company for home insurance is SAFECO...they go above and beyond with the repairs and will OK repairs that need to be done over the phone....and best of all is that their is no problem with getting paid..