Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When is fast too fast? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250479-when-fast-too-fast.html)

On Time 04-04-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 3367832)
Im just tired of people that no longer want to take responsibility for their own actions. No matter what happens, they have somebody or something to blame but themselves. At the rate its going, the OB/GYN is going to have a waiver for you to sign before he lets you out of the womb.

**WARNING**
Being alive has been known to cause death. The environment outside the womb contains substances known to cause cancer, alcoholism, and other unknown ailments.

DO NOT ENTER LIFE
If you may be pregnant, have back or neck conditions, heart problems, respiratory issues or any other medical condition that may put you at risk for injury, illness or death from experiencing life, being born increases these risks

HA HA! Good one!

I tell people, "Did you know that every week you live takes another week off the end of your life?". NO JOKE Comrades, I have had many people reply "No way, that doesn't, just because I lived a week? I wasn't even sick or nuthin'... "

Smarty 04-04-2011 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fountain4402 (Post 3367876)
I totally understand your feelings and agree somewhat. But unless you are 5miles out or on the big lakes you are not the the only one out on the water. Whether others are acting correctly or not, driving 140 or even 10+ is a danger for everybody. Ocean, races, big lakes, go for it, rivers smaller lakes have a speed limit is a good idea

I WISH I HAD A BOAT THAT WENT 135+mph! Now if I owned such a boat I would not make and abrupt turn at WOT unless I want to meet Jesus. And until a safer technology is developed, I will assume the risk of injury due to negliengent operation of my 135+ mph boat when making such a turn at full speed, does that sound better for some of ya? Thought it would. That is the defense. You pick which would stand up in court (design defect or negligence), based on the facts of the accident, and this suit is the victim versus the manufacturer, then there is another suit of the passenger versus the driver and manufacturer. Good luck in reaching your decision, there is not a right or wrong answer, just an answer based upon a specific set of circumstances and facts. I have to get back to work.

phragle 04-04-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fountain4402 (Post 3367876)
I totally understand your feelings and agree somewhat. But unless you are 5miles out or on the big lakes you are not the the only one out on the water. Whether others are acting correctly or not, driving 140 or even 10+ is a danger for everybody. Ocean, races, big lakes, go for it, rivers smaller lakes have a speed limit is a good idea

Roads have speed limits but there are idiots on the road. I know that and realize I may die driving 3 blocks to get coffee in the morning. Thus I drive defensively and keep an eye on my surroundings to avoid the idiots. As soon as you legislate idiocy out of existance, the idiots will evolve into bigger better idiots.

On Time 04-04-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3367886)
I WISH I HAD A BOAT THAT WENT 135+mph! Now if I owned such a boat I would not make and abrupt turn at WOT unless I want to meet Jesus. And until a safer technology is developed, I will assume the risk of injury due to negliengent operation of my 135+ mph boat when making such a turn at full speed, does that sound better for some of ya? Thought it would. That is the defense. You pick which would stand up in court (design defect or negligence), based on the facts of the accident, and this suit is the victim versus the manufacturer, then there is another suit of the passenger versus the driver and manufacturer. Good luck in reaching your decision, there is not a right or wrong answer, just an answer based upon a specific set of circumstances and facts. I have to get back to work.

I have a close friend who used to be a PI atty until he "grew a conscience". Now he is one of the busiest mediators in Houston.

He made millions in PI. He told me, "When I read a case, I didn't give a rat sass what was right or wrong. My only thought was Can I get the jury to go my way on this?"

So your kind words are nice, but I think it just boils down to that, if you are going to make any real money as an atty. Where is public opinion at the time of your case?

MikeyFIN 04-04-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood (Post 3367160)
I guess you're right that motorsport technically refers to racing but I used it for lack of a better word to mean any form of motorized recreational vehicle. You are right there is a difference I didn't realize until I googled the definition.

Understandable, I would´ve called this a Performance Hobby as in fact many people otherwise would call Poker Runs a form of Motorsport and this way giving the sanctioned organisations and sports a bad rep IMO.
Yes I´m sensitive as the reason is I´ve witnessed in my 43yrs of age 2 closed down Racetracks within 100 miles of me, unmeasurable numbers of Karting tracks and projects of tracks getting killed Mx tracks etc etc... Lets not kill Offshore Racing which is almost destructing itselfeverywhere without any outside help...

MikeyFIN 04-04-2011 09:55 AM

So according to some 50ft Mystics are not designed to be safe even at 80 miles as thats the speed @ Aquamania flipped while cranking full to avoid a jet skier at Key West Worlds 2009...

HTRDLNCN 04-04-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 3367897)
As soon as you legislate idiocy out of existance, the idiots will evolve into bigger better idiots.

Words to live by right there..

OzarkKing 04-04-2011 11:33 AM

I am a personal injury attorney and damn proud of what I do. I help people from the snowplow driver whose rig flipped and has six herniated discs making a work comp claim to the boater at Lake Ozark who is injured due to the negligence of others. Its not a perfect system and I understand some of you as well as the masses have quite the negative view of my profession but when a guy is run over by a boat and it is due to the drivers negligence we need a system wherein the injured can recover for their losses. While we'd love to give them a time-machine to undo it or give them their leg back, we can't and therefore damages are measured in dollars. We are a community here so if you feel the need to flame this response, please respond privately or start a new thread dedicated to your views on attorneys.
I am also a boater and know that there are inherent risks to the recreation. I don't want to cover the losses out of pocket should something happen which is why I carry insurance.
As for "how fast is too fast?", I haven't learned firsthand yet but I know how fast I want to go is (n + 1) where 'n' is the current top speed I've achieved in mph.