Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When is fast too fast? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250479-when-fast-too-fast.html)

imaginethat38 03-31-2011 09:47 AM

My TG is no where near that catagory,but what I think the problem is coming to a stop as opposed to getting up to speed. Things happen VERY quickly at 85, I cant imagine 185.

HTRDLNCN 03-31-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 3364681)
why would you go WOT in a "public area" with little kids tubing behind a Bayliner.? I don't care if you can go 180 or 80. There is a place and time for everything. WOT.?? >>> 10 miles off shore. (or where in fact you DO have the manuvering room) Ergo... "Offshore" perfomance boat.
just my .02

A large number of poker runs are held on inland lakes in public waters on prime boating weekends..
I would dare say most are running wide open.
I know I run close to wide open on poker runs ,
of course my speed is 60-70 not 150 but even then
I am constantly scanning/looking/worrying of what joe blow is gonna do as we go by..

I am completely against speed limits but do think poker runs should start
employing some better speration of the runs from the public just like if it was a race
which even though some will argue and say I am crazy for many IT IS A RACE ..
When you have a pack of boats with 1000+hp engines,canopies,helmets,intercoms and chase copters racing each other to get to the next stop first thats a race,not a fun run,not a poker run,its a race granted an un sanctioned one...

MikeyFIN 03-31-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3364587)
:popcorn: and they can go buy a Lambo, or an airplane for a speed fix so whats any different , and i doubt they'd be a 1st X boater :drink:

A Novice or anyone not with good skills and reflexes is like giving a track day for a guy who has never driven a motorcycle a Superbike...all it takes is a couple hundred yards and ther guy has killed himself, am
nd regarding bikes they ain´t just urban legends..
I happen to have at least two motorcycle vendors as friends who has sold a bike to one who insisted to get the fastest there is and get killed in a few seconds.
The powerboats are catching up...
Cars..well today they are so full of guides aides and limiters that they are safe in this comparison....

MikeyFIN 03-31-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ted G (Post 3364608)
The real problem is not the top end guys. If you have made it to 150 and above you probably have either bought your way there through a series of boats, or built your way there, also through a series of boats. The real problem is the numerous 70-80-90 mph boats that someone can just go out and pickup, and in this economy, pretty cheaply. Couple a youngish, bold guy with a fistful of throttles and a 70+ mph step bottom boat and you have some real issues. Esp. if he and his 4 buddies are drinking. We have come a long way from the days when a 60 mph boat was fast, and now there is no learning curve. Of course the chitty economy has taken a lot of people out of the market so there is a little saving grace there.

The most Unskilled guys around here in a powerboat has been guys that just bought a brand new big cats that did about 140-150 tops...those in the lesser boats have more experience because they work their way up to bigger and faster boats.

SS930 03-31-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3364587)
:popcorn: and they can go buy a Lambo, or an airplane for a speed fix so whats any different , and i doubt they'd be a 1st X boater :drink:

What's different is there are speed limits on the roads and the surface is stagnant and static. In the air there's little to hit and running 200 mph is obviously not dangerous. On water the surface is dynamic, it's always changing and never the same. Big, big difference! 200 mph is far more dangerous on water than it is on open road or in the air.

Originally Posted by Underdog88 (Post 3364592)
Too much Big Brother in the world already. Personal responsibility and common sense have to prevail. The Darwin Theory will rid out those without it.

While I agree with your premise, I disagree w/your solution. I don't wear seatbelts or helmets for spite though... right or wrong. I hate being told I HAVE to do ANYthing. Supposed to be a free country and it’s becoming everything but.

I agree 100% with the first part of your response, but I'd like to point out I never gave the solution... I simply raised the question and asked where we are headed.

For the record, I dont think big brother is the answer, but I do feel we're going to be reading about speed related deaths on here in the coming years, I just hope it's not a boat full of people and that they aren't in populated areas... if so it will only take so many before big brother steps in.

BTW, I completely disagree with the comment that 90 mph boats are the real concern. Yes there are a lot more of them and easily accessible, but percentage wise I dont think they are a bigger risk... more apt to be involved to be in an accident simply because of the number of them out there, but lets not kid ourselves, 90 mph boats are fairly safe in comparison to just about any boat traveling at 200 mph on the water. IMO, the odds of a 90 mph boat having an accident are far less than an a 200 mph boat having an accident. Let's put it this way, if there are 10,000 boats out there that run 90 mph every year, how often do you read about deaths due to the shear speed they were running at. A fairly small percentage. If there were 10,000 200 mph boats running around, I'd bet my last dollar the percentage of accidents would be far higher... even if there were being run by "experts".

Furthermore, there simply isn't a lot of experience out there when it comes to running 200+ mph. Yes there are guys out there that have done it and hired hands that do it every so often, but even those guys had to do it for the first time and I'm sure they will all say there's a real inherent danger in doing it. I'd be amazed if they all dont wonder if this is their 'last' when they do it... To a certain degree IMO, these people are almost crash test dummy's waiting for their turn... it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

MikeyFIN 03-31-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ted G (Post 3364610)
That tends to be self-correcting.

Ted I was in my late teens with a Superbike.. still around but have my scars... and still has a Bike and like to burn and do wheelies...age..44 soon ;)

MikeyFIN 03-31-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV (Post 3364615)
When is Fast too Fast?

Ken Warby would probably say around 300 mph

on a Flat lake yes... not in Key West...:kiss:

HTRDLNCN 03-31-2011 10:17 AM

We (performance crowd) are not the general public,
for the most part the general public has no clue what/when poker runs happen..
I come from a boating community and have many boating freinds.
I have had to explain to almost all of them what a poker run is. LOL...
I do agree on the loud part though!!
Loud pipes save lives..
:)