Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When is fast too fast? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250479-when-fast-too-fast.html)

MikeyFIN 03-31-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN (Post 3364622)
Difference is on land only place a Lambo or 200mph bike can stretch its legs LEGALLY is on a closed track wheras on the water you can run 150+ legally down the middle of a public lake on a poker run (not a race,LOL) with a ton of clueless weekend boaters and jetskiers that can cut you off at anytime.
I also agree,sadly, that all its gonna take is one accident between a poker run boat and some bozo with twenty kids onboard that cuts across a pack of boats to happen to throw a blanket speed limit over all inland waters,
I cant think of any other sport where you can run wide open thru a populated public area..

so True... @ 2009 Key West Worlds I witnessed with the photographer who took pics the Aquamanias flip @ 80mph. Just because they were while testing coming to a turn at the harbour and got distracted by a jet skier....
That´s all it takes to flip a 50 Mystic...

Too Stroked 03-31-2011 10:24 AM

The sad truth about going too fast on water (or land for that matter) is that it’s the same kind of idiot that’s going to do it no matter how fast a boat can go. Does anybody thing John Tomlinson is going to do something stupid in a boat - anywhere – even if the boat could go 500 MPH? Hell no. Responsible people drive responsibly no matter where they are or what they’re driving.

So what does “too fast” mean? As I taught my son how to ski (downhill) many years ago, I told him that he always had to ski in control. “In control” meant you could ski as fast as you wanted – as long as you could still avoid any other skiers, stop or turn when you needed to, not break any rules and not piss anybody off. I’d say the same goes for boating. It’s sad that we sometimes need laws to teach people what that really is.

Crossett 03-31-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN (Post 3364726)
We (performance crowd) are not the general public,
for the most part the general public has no clue what/when poker runs happen..
I come from a boating community and have many boating freinds.
I have had to explain to almost all of them what a poker run is. LOL...
I do agree on the loud part though!!
Loud pipes save lives..
:)

How many seriously fast boats are on Lake Travis? I seem to see the same few ones every year. That red and purple fountain that does ~110 or so, or the occasional daytona. Of all the jackassery that i've been witness to on that lake I can't think of one instance where it was the driver of a go fast boat. It's always drunken idiots blaring rap on their ski boat, or teenagers on jetskis.

LAriverratt 03-31-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Crossett (Post 3364757)
It's always drunken idiots blaring rap on their ski boat, or teenagers on jetskis.

sounds just like the Tickfaw river every weekend :picard1:

Crossett 03-31-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by LAriverratt (Post 3364759)
sounds just like the Tickfaw river every weekend :picard1:

It makes me sad. I grew up on Lake Travis and over the last 10-12 years or so the douche bags seem to be breeding exponentially

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-31-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN (Post 3364700)
A Novice or anyone not with good skills and reflexes is like giving a track day for a guy who has never driven a motorcycle a Superbike...all it takes is a couple hundred yards and ther guy has killed himself, am
nd regarding bikes they ain´t just urban legends..
I happen to have at least two motorcycle vendors as friends who has sold a bike to one who insisted to get the fastest there is and get killed in a few seconds.
The powerboats are catching up...
Cars..well today they are so full of guides aides and limiters that they are safe in this comparison....

guide aides & limiters ??? smokin toilet paper again ...

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-31-2011 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=SS930;3364709]What's different is there are speed limits on the roads and the surface is stagnant and static. In the air there's little to hit and running 200 mph is obviously not dangerous. On water the surface is dynamic, it's always changing and never the same. Big, big difference! 200 mph is far more dangerous on water than it is on open road or in the air.

apparently you've never piloted a plane Scot

pullmytrigger 03-31-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN (Post 3364622)
Difference is on land only place a Lambo or 200mph bike can stretch its legs LEGALLY is on a closed track wheras on the water you can run 150+ legally down the middle of a public lake on a poker run (not a race,LOL) with a ton of clueless weekend boaters and jetskiers that can cut you off at anytime.
I also agree,sadly, that all its gonna take is one accident between a poker run boat and some bozo with twenty kids onboard that cuts across a pack of boats to happen to throw a blanket speed limit over all inland waters,
I cant think of any other sport where you can run wide open thru a populated public area..

X3!!!!!.....with emphasis on the "with a ton of clueless weekend boaters and jet skiers " part

HTRDLNCN 03-31-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Crossett (Post 3364757)
How many seriously fast boats are on Lake Travis? I seem to see the same few ones every year. That red and purple fountain that does ~110 or so, or the occasional daytona. Of all the jackassery that i've been witness to on that lake I can't think of one instance where it was the driver of a go fast boat. It's always drunken idiots blaring rap on their ski boat, or teenagers on jetskis.

There arent too many and the poker runs are very laid back,
Simon is the red boat, Fountain with 700s and #6s, we also have Phat Cat, big cat does about a buck forty and many boats come in from Houston and Dallas.
I was not reffering to our runs as I think its one of the few true "fun poker runs" were hanging out is higher on the list than winning the race.
People used to the typical big speed Poker Runs would probably not like ours.
There was a breif attempt with one of the big poker runs promoters to arrange a more serious run but in the end it would have been everything that we dont want (huge speed,too many boats,too high a cost) so it did not happen..
Dont think in 5 years running the runs I have seen anyone running over 90,
usually the meat of the pack is around 40-60mph..
You wont see a single helmet,intercom,canopied boat etc .. No big ballers..
Lots of good looking people and boats though..
And you are right almost always its not the go fast, we just get the blame.
DOnt get me started on the jet skies, guys tubing their kids at 50mph down the middle of the channel on the busiest days, pontoon and sailboat guys that think that everyone will just stop when they decide to just cut across the flow of traffic at 1 to 5mph...