Notices

When is fast too fast?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
sounds just like the Tickfaw river every weekend
It makes me sad. I grew up on Lake Travis and over the last 10-12 years or so the douche bags seem to be breeding exponentially
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
A Novice or anyone not with good skills and reflexes is like giving a track day for a guy who has never driven a motorcycle a Superbike...all it takes is a couple hundred yards and ther guy has killed himself, am
nd regarding bikes they ain´t just urban legends..
I happen to have at least two motorcycle vendors as friends who has sold a bike to one who insisted to get the fastest there is and get killed in a few seconds.
The powerboats are catching up...
Cars..well today they are so full of guides aides and limiters that they are safe in this comparison....
guide aides & limiters ??? smokin toilet paper again ...
Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=SS930;3364709]What's different is there are speed limits on the roads and the surface is stagnant and static. In the air there's little to hit and running 200 mph is obviously not dangerous. On water the surface is dynamic, it's always changing and never the same. Big, big difference! 200 mph is far more dangerous on water than it is on open road or in the air.

apparently you've never piloted a plane Scot
Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Difference is on land only place a Lambo or 200mph bike can stretch its legs LEGALLY is on a closed track wheras on the water you can run 150+ legally down the middle of a public lake on a poker run (not a race,LOL) with a ton of clueless weekend boaters and jetskiers that can cut you off at anytime.
I also agree,sadly, that all its gonna take is one accident between a poker run boat and some bozo with twenty kids onboard that cuts across a pack of boats to happen to throw a blanket speed limit over all inland waters,
I cant think of any other sport where you can run wide open thru a populated public area..
X3!!!!!.....with emphasis on the "with a ton of clueless weekend boaters and jet skiers " part
Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crossett
How many seriously fast boats are on Lake Travis? I seem to see the same few ones every year. That red and purple fountain that does ~110 or so, or the occasional daytona. Of all the jackassery that i've been witness to on that lake I can't think of one instance where it was the driver of a go fast boat. It's always drunken idiots blaring rap on their ski boat, or teenagers on jetskis.
There arent too many and the poker runs are very laid back,
Simon is the red boat, Fountain with 700s and #6s, we also have Phat Cat, big cat does about a buck forty and many boats come in from Houston and Dallas.
I was not reffering to our runs as I think its one of the few true "fun poker runs" were hanging out is higher on the list than winning the race.
People used to the typical big speed Poker Runs would probably not like ours.
There was a breif attempt with one of the big poker runs promoters to arrange a more serious run but in the end it would have been everything that we dont want (huge speed,too many boats,too high a cost) so it did not happen..
Dont think in 5 years running the runs I have seen anyone running over 90,
usually the meat of the pack is around 40-60mph..
You wont see a single helmet,intercom,canopied boat etc .. No big ballers..
Lots of good looking people and boats though..
And you are right almost always its not the go fast, we just get the blame.
DOnt get me started on the jet skies, guys tubing their kids at 50mph down the middle of the channel on the busiest days, pontoon and sailboat guys that think that everyone will just stop when they decide to just cut across the flow of traffic at 1 to 5mph...

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 03-31-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Wow, glad I'm a week-day boater. It gets down right lonely on the Great Lakes! My 22' boat can run 85+. I can cruise at 80 in good conditions. It's scary but quite predictable when I hit a rogue wave. We wear vests and I the tether and I have an orange waterproof case with emergency gear and electronics. Any speed can be dangerous.

So to answer your question of "when is fast too fast?". Never when it's on the open water. It's an adrenaline rush that I need to stay somewhat sane!!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered

Its 'too fast' when the operator doesnt have the seat time with the specific boat they are operating, and the proper amount of respect for the speed they are going.

Had a buddy with a fountain many years ago, boat was doing in low 80's, he had about four seasons in the boat, and was good with it. He got in someones hydrostream one day and within two minutes of being behind the wheel, doing no where near 80, he had enough and wanted to go back in, something about the boat freaked him ....but he knew it right away and he knew not to push it.

So many variables in a boat.....size, power, steps, not steps, single, dual, props in, props out, etc, etc......each change is a learning curve, and it all depends on operator experience at the end of the day. If I were a passenger in a Skater with Teague driving and doing 130 mph, I would probably feel safer then being in a 17' Whaler with some of the knuckleheads I see at the ramp on a sunday
Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
usually the meat of the pack is around 40-60mph..
Hey, that means I can hang!

Hopefully i'll run into you on the water sometime this season. I'd like to check out your Carrera
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=RunninHotRacing163.1;3364767]
Originally Posted by SS930
What's different is there are speed limits on the roads and the surface is stagnant and static. In the air there's little to hit and running 200 mph is obviously not dangerous. On water the surface is dynamic, it's always changing and never the same. Big, big difference! 200 mph is far more dangerous on water than it is on open road or in the air.

apparently you've never piloted a plane Scot
Yes I have, although I dont know that I've done so at 200 mph. With that said, I cant believe you're comparing going 200 mph on water to going 200 mph in the air, it's not even remotely close to apples to apples!!! You cant tell me you get the same pucker factor going 400 mph in a jet (at 30,000') as you do 'just' going 163 mph on the water...
Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crossett
Hey, that means I can hang!

Hopefully i'll run into you on the water sometime this season. I'd like to check out your Carrera
I started running them in a 40-45mph boat and had just as much fun..
here is one run last year
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1337757563

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.