Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When is fast too fast? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250479-when-fast-too-fast.html)

thirdchildhood 04-01-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by BenPerfected (Post 3365538)
Here is another perspective. In ideal conditions with the right set up and experieced crew, I would say the top manageable speed is about 3 MPH per foot in a vee and about 4 MPH per foot in a cat.

How can you make a blanket statement like that when there are 18' STVs running safely well over 100 mph. And my 22' Donzi is only safe up to 66 mph? Sorry but this whole thread is stupid.:angry-smiley-038:

thirdchildhood 04-01-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND (Post 3365654)
22'=66mph is about right!

Right for you maybe............:lolhit:

thirdchildhood 04-01-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND (Post 3365654)
22'=66mph is about right because any faster and I get skeered and poop my pants. So take me back to the dock please if you can't keep it under 66.

It's OK, I fixed it for ya :).

C_Spray 04-01-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3365321)
Whatthehelizzat?? :party-smiley-004: :lolhit:

In my younger days when I raced them, they were known as "enduro Karts", and ran on full-size race tracks. With only 11 hp (100cc stock McCulloch) they would run in the 90's. With twin modified 135cc engines, well... :eek:

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 3364832)
....The reality is too fast is all about balancing our fun with safety. We all know the risks involved with going 70, 120, 180+ mph on the water and we are willing to take those risks. Their are our close friends, navigators, spouses, etc. who are willing to do the same.

It is when anyone on our boat or around our boat is unknowingly put in a position where their safety is compromised by our actions. That is when we are going too fast.

Bingo, Tom.

Looking back, it was 10 years ago right now that we, as a community, on this very message board debated safety following the wake-up call of Dale Earnhart's death. As the details of Dale's death emerged, it became clear that the entire NASCAR community had not been as pro-active on safety as they could have been. Starting with Bill Taylor's work with Poker Runs America, Dave Patnaude's guidance of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat club, and lots of great input from this board (and others) we collectively whittled out a list of 10 key guidelines that came to be known as the "Poker Run 10 Commandments". By promoting these rules to as many organizers and one-off events as possible, I believe that the Poker Run community in general became (and is now regarded as) a far more responsible group.

Being responsible on every level is the key. All of us need to be aware of our how our actions impact everyone around us, whether we are behind the wheel or not. This includes pointing out to our friends and fellow boaters when they are stepping outside the lines.

In general, I have found performance boaters to be better-informed and better mariners than most of the "skippers" on the water. The issue is that a huge screw-up at the tiller of a sailbote at 6 knots or a cruiser at 20 knots is simply not going to generate the spectacular (and possibly tragic) results that a screw-up at high speed will. By electing to purchase the boats that we do, we are implicitly accepting a higher level of responsibility for our actions.

"Let's be careful out there."

On Time 04-01-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3365696)
In my younger days when I raced them, they were known as "enduro Karts", and ran on full-size race tracks. With only 11 hp (100cc stock McCulloch) they would run in the 90's. With twin modified 135cc engines, well... :eek:

Bingo, Tom.

Looking back, it was 10 years ago right now that we, as a community, on this very message board debated safety following the wake-up call of Dale Earnhart's death. As the details of Dale's death emerged, it became clear that the entire NASCAR community had not been as pro-active on safety as they could have been. Starting with Bill Taylor's work with Poker Runs America, Dave Patnaude's guidance of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat club, and lots of great input from this board (and others) we collectively whittled out a list of 10 key guidelines that came to be known as the "Poker Run 10 Commandments". By promoting these rules to as many organizers and one-off events as possible, I believe that the Poker Run community in general became (and is now regarded as) a far more responsible group.

Being responsible on every level is the key. All of us need to be aware of our how our actions impact everyone around us, whether we are behind the wheel or not. This includes pointing out to our friends and fellow boaters when they are stepping outside the lines.

In general, I have found performance boaters to be better-informed and better mariners than most of the "skippers" on the water. The issue is that a huge screw-up at the tiller of a sailbote at 6 knots or a cruiser at 20 knots is simply not going to generate the spectacular (and possibly tragic) results that a screw-up at high speed will. By electing to purchase the boats that we do, we are implicitly accepting a higher level of responsibility for our actions.

"Let's be careful out there."

Well put.

thirdchildhood 04-01-2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND (Post 3365826)
:bsflag:75&45 maybe on a good day there I fixed it for ya:evilb:

Send a PM; We'll go for a ride!:coolcowboy:
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...g212Medium.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCbFrcW54dM
:)