Notices

When is fast too fast?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
75&45 maybe on a good day there I fixed it for ya

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP WRONG!!!!!! Carls right his 525 will get these boats in the low to mid 80's...but these boats are a hand full at 80+ and I would suggest you have a lot of seat time before going to 80+. Carl seams to have 1 of the STRAIGHT Donzi's because if you have a ill handling 22C I can tell you that 82 is taking your life in your hands. We have had success fixing hull issues on these boats to correct this problem but it removes some of the "crap my pants/yes I was scared" thrill ride away. Some people need that to justify being alive.

I personally cant wait to run 120+ sitting down surrounded by a mass of fiberglass skipping across Lake Erie on a nice day.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
Anyone can fly a plane, its simple. Its the landings that are a little tricky
Not sure I’d describe it as simple but as mentioned above there is continuous aerodynamic control. You boys don’t have the luxury of control in flight therefore one of your key skills sets is the ability to read water and conditions way ahead of time (so that you’re never in need of it). Of course with catamarans you’ve also got a constantly changing center of aerodynamic pressure (with pitch) acting somewhat ahead of your LCG –just to make it even more tricky. As T2X mentioned in a related thread, this is not a game for amateurs...

ND1
Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP WRONG!!!!!! Carls right his 525 will get these boats in the low to mid 80's...but these boats are a hand full at 80+ and I would suggest you have a lot of seat time before going to 80+. Carl seams to have 1 of the STRAIGHT Donzi's because if you have a ill handling 22C I can tell you that 82 is taking your life in your hands. We have had success fixing hull issues on these boats to correct this problem but it removes some of the "crap my pants/yes I was scared" thrill ride away. Some people need that to justify being alive.

I personally cant wait to run 120+ sitting down surrounded by a mass of fiberglass skipping across Lake Erie on a nice day.
Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
I agree!Drove boats smaller than his and they are a hand full going fast slowing down etc etc!As far as stock 525 in a 22 depends on what he's spinning those #'s may be alone light on gas with a strong wind behind him!
The 85.8 was in ideal conditions. 83 is the norm. And my boat is not at all a handful but it is very much a driver's boat. It is very sensitive to trim and tabs and likes constant tweaking for changing conditions. It's not a boat I can put just anyone behind the wheel of! What it is is an absolute joy to drive! It takes 100% concentration to drive at speed and you must become almost one with the boat. Donzi, there is no substitute!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=SS930;3364799]
Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1

Yes I have, although I dont know that I've done so at 200 mph. With that said, I cant believe you're comparing going 200 mph on water to going 200 mph in the air, it's not even remotely close to apples to apples!!! You cant tell me you get the same pucker factor going 400 mph in a jet (at 30,000') as you do 'just' going 163 mph on the water...
its only the same when your 20 to 70 feet off the ground flying, going a 150mph around gayhead cliffs and down around south beach during winter on marthas vineyard island. that was cool but my buddy had crashed twice since and died. lost two other friends on the 1st crash. another friend who was pilot lost his plane when he tried to dip his wing on a lake everyone was at partying. instead of touching the water he caught the wing and cartwheeled into the lake. thats the only fun I had with these guys was when weflew close to the ground or at a cliff or letting me land the plane after flying a couple of times with them. otherwise planes are borring. to me this = running a 24 to 30 cat at 110 or 24 to 30ft vee at 80 to 100.I feel calmer running in gerrys 46 cat cruising at 110 to 140,then the above boats. but 170 plus would get my blood running.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Boating at high speed is an adrenaline rush for sure! Planes are not even close to the same pucker factor. If they are it means the pilot is flying out of their ability and has a good chance of dieing. Boats are much more forgiving and its the lack of control that's exciting about going fast. Everyone has a choice on how fast they want to go. There will always be some bad outcomes but that's why it's a choice you can or can't take. Majority of accidents only bring harm to the boat involved and if you look at all boating the percentage of fatal crashes is very low in my opinion.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 1 Post

my buddy had crashed twice since and died. lost two other friends on the 1st crash. another friend who was pilot lost his plane when he tried to dip his wing on a lake everyone was at partying. instead of touching the water he caught the wing and cartwheeled into the lake. .[/QUOTE]

Madness is everywhere. With friends like that offering you rides in their toys you don’t need enemies. Perhaps you could dissuade those that have managed to survive from contemplating nautical pursuits…our insurance rates will certainly benefit...

ND1
Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, computer going off we are going for a ride in 75-80 degrees 5-10 mph winds on the 35 ft CC with the family.

Yeah, well about 60 mph.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66
In the end it all boils down to common sense, or the lack of it. I enjoy running hard, but its something you do out in the big lake, away from the crowded areas. I know most of us have done some things we shouldnt have, but most learn from it. Bottom line, we are a small but very visible group, and if we dont keep our act together and police ourselves, someone else will do it. If someone goes roaring through a crowded area, everyone should step up and say something. A showoff only shows off if he gets approval. The way things are with jet skis, ski-boats, kayaks, fishing boats etc out there you have to be on your toes at all times. Last summer I ran across 2 guys in ocean kayaks 8 miles out in Lake Michigan, talk about hard to see till they are close!
I believe it about the kayaks, whats sux more they sell them in BLUE OR GREEN . those are real hard to see on the ocean or river. I wait until I get to open water if there's boats in the channels in the bay before I go over 40 to 60. I have seen to many boats just pull uturns without looking, change direction or come in on a angle to other boats not paying attention . I like running on the edge when its just me and theres know way I am indangering anyone. but planes that took two of us. later got to work on the boat. Art ps kayaks should be yellow/red/orange or pink for the girls. and have a 8ft flag attached on them orange.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nautdesign1
my buddy had crashed twice since and died. lost two other friends on the 1st crash. another friend who was pilot lost his plane when he tried to dip his wing on a lake everyone was at partying. instead of touching the water he caught the wing and cartwheeled into the lake. .

Madness is everywhere. With friends like that offering you rides in their toys you don’t need enemies. Perhaps you could dissuade those that have managed to survive from contemplating nautical pursuits…our insurance rates will certainly benefit...

ND1[/QUOTE]

most of the guys I hung around with when that happened loss of two friends in 1st crash were into sportfishers big money cars and bikes. the one who went for a swim just has fast car now. the other pilot died a few years ago in hawaii. his stunt chute failed above maui where he owned part of the sky diving school. the guys I boat with are from here mostly 25 or so. and as stated we watch everyone else around us. I tell people if you think Iam missing veiw of something just tell me and I do the same when I run with people and it helps. four eyes are better than two. I find people who do not own hp boats get spooked easy when you go over 70 and the boat gets some air under it. in those cases I drop them of on the nearest island and pick them up on the way back, well I just slow down for the trip and don't invite them back. Art
Old 04-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I make sure they know what they're getting into before they go because goddammit I don't want someone telling me to slow down when I might be spending $200-$400 for gas and I have invested nearly $100,000 in my boat and I can't drive it fast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.