If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Salt Water

My Boats:
    2005 34' Shockwave
    Cave Creek, AZ

Salt Water

I'm new to boating in Salt Water and want to get some tips for keeping the boat maintained while using it in salt water. I know about flushing the motor and rinsing the trailer off with fresh water and keeping the boat clean. What else should I be doing?

Deland, Florida
    One thing you want to remember is to spray is down twice with fresh water. The first spraying puts the salt in solution, then the second rinses it off. If you don't use salt away, I put some dishwashing liquid in the flush hose before I hook it up. Not sure if it helps any, but it makes me feel better, and also I know when I quit seeing bubbles, it has flushed completely through the engine. Remember, rust never sleeps!

Like Fever Mike said...Salt Away,Salt Away,Salt Away. Flush the engine, rinse the boat, and rinse the engine itself with the stuff. Then I spay EVERYTHING with CRC to keep the rust down. If you do get any rust stains on the boat, i.e. bow eye, transom rings, cleats, etc. you can use ON-OFF hull cleaner to remove them. Be careful with the ON-OFF though as it is full of acid and will burn your eyes make you cough etc. Keep the boat waxed also, as everyone else said.

My Boats:
    2005 34' Shockwave
    Cave Creek, AZ
    Thanks for the tips...Sounds like I need to get my hands on some Salt-Away.....