Notices

gantry crane or forklift?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default gantry crane or forklift?

What do you guys think is more useful around the shop between a gantry crane and a forklift? I'm gettig ready to buy one of the two, their both priced about the same, the gantry crane is a few hundred bucks cheaper. I can't make up my mind on what would be more useful so I wanted to get you guys opinion. Mainly just be used for working on the boat when needed, I like to have the flexibility of taken the engine in and out of the boat if something happens without having to depend on other people and also working on the boat. For those who use a forklift to drop or take an engine out of the boat do you find it more difficult than using a gantry crane? Or more flexible? The forklift goes up to either 12 feet or 14 I can't remember, the gantry is 15 feet hight and 13 feet wide. Thanks for any help
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can buy a forklift for the price of a Gantry crane ?? what state are you in i need to send a truck and pick up a dozen of these forklifts.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-forklift.html

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 04-05-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Link
Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO - forklifts suck for pulling/installing engines. A gantry crane allows both forward and side to side movement making it so much easier....
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by txriverrat2001
IMO - forklifts suck for pulling/installing engines. A gantry crane allows both forward and side to side movement making it so much easier....
I agree, you have to be dead nuts one, sometimes easier to move the boat than to move the engine. And the engine swinging around when you are driving is just scary.

Another thing to consider is your surface, forktrucks suck on anything but paved or concrete surfaces. Just a little mud and you are done.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Baja- is your engine done? What did you end up going with? Dyno?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i have both,i used to use the forklift to r&r,the gantry is much safer,and u dont need a second person to operate the forktruck,hope this info helps u with your decision.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys it definitely helps! 4bus engine is almost about done, ended up going with a 540. It's cost me a lot of money but you get what you pay for. At least I know everything is brand new and top of the line stuff. By the way 4bus your cruiser is pretty damn nice! Enjoy that ac and room because I know sometimes when I'm on the water sweating my ass off I wish I had ac! lol Definitely a good buy on your part, congrats!

runninhotracing go to craigslist on florida, all over theres a bunch of forklifts for good prices. There definitely not brand new but a bunch of them look in pretty damn good shape.

I appreciate the help guys, you guys are definitely right a gantry sounds so much better I don't have to worry about somebody driving the forklift and me inside the boat moving stuff around. With a gantry crane it can be done all by yourself. This one I'm looking at is in incredible shape and has been stored inside, its I believe 15 feet hight and 13 feet wide, how the hell do you stand something like that up? lol I'm assuming you build it on its side then use a lot of man power from friends to lift it up from its side?

Last edited by 272bajadriver; 04-05-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Gantry can't break down either!!!

That thing is going to be heavy to get up!

Something else that is nice to have when putting in the engine is I had an adjustable splitter bar that allows you to crank it and adjust the lifting point. It is great for making small adjustments front to back. Recently it also allowed us to lift the engine WAY up in teh front on a friends boat so that it would fit out of the compartment. VERY handy - also good for spanning blowers/flame arrestors...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

i also have both! my forklift goes 18' high and if you get one with side shift like my Toyota has you can drop a engine in with ease.. yes the gantry is easier to put a engine in with but if your use to using a forklift its just as easy..i use the forklift for everything like moving boats around too..just make sure it has at least 4k lifting capacity so it wont nose over with all the weight on the end of a 10' beam.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both also...

Most of the time I am working alone, so the gantry crane is my only option for engine installs etc.

The forklift is the mainstay in moving things around.

I might be tempted to use the forklift to drop my motors in if there was additional help.

(and they knew what they were doing!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.