Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need advice/opinions on buying this boat please and sayin Hello! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250715-need-advice-opinions-buying-boat-please-sayin-hello.html)

seafordguy 04-04-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crossett (Post 3368338)
Being aware of your surroundings and responsible on the water is a lot better idea that throwing money away for insurance IMO. Unless you think the likelihood of you filing a claim is really that high...

:eek:

Wow - that is some bad advice....

Dave M 04-04-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Crossett (Post 3368338)
Being aware of your surroundings and responsible on the water is a lot better idea that throwing money away for insurance IMO. Unless you think the likelihood of you filing a claim is really that high...

The biggest worry I would have going without insurance would be theft or personal injury.

huskyrider 04-04-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 3368355)

LMAO!!!

I've only had a couple of motor vehicle claims in the past 25 plus years and both times I was paying attention to my surroundings.
One was completely my fault due to a quick rain on an asphalt road and me hitting the brakes to hard aiming for the ditch due to an out of control driver coming head on in my lane who did the same because the car in front her braked hard.
Because we didn't make vehicle contact the trooper wouldn't file a report stating it was her fault I crashed and if she'd of hit me head on it would of been her fault, WTF??? The other was a a vehicle accident where the other guy was at fault and had no insurance.
I wouldn't take any boat or car out without insurance.
That's just me, it may not be for everyone else though.
I just don't want to get sued for everything I own if I was at fault and had no insurance.

See ya,
Kelly

Crossett 04-04-2011 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 3368355)

I bet you're the type to file frivolous lawsuits when you get your panties in a bind too, huh?

Crossett 04-04-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 3368357)
The biggest worry I would have going without insurance would be theft or personal injury.

Theft could be a worry if you store your boat somewhere that isn't that secure. Personal injury falls under the being responsible category.

Crossett 04-04-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by huskyrider (Post 3368367)
LMAO!!!

I've only had a couple of motor vehicle claims in the past 25 plus years and both times I was paying attention to my surroundings.
One was completely my fault due to a quick rain on an asphalt road and me hitting the brakes to hard aiming for the ditch due to an out of control driver coming head on in my lane who did the same because the car in front her braked hard.
Because we didn't make vehicle contact the trooper wouldn't file a report stating it was her fault I crashed and if she'd of hit me head on it would of been her fault, WTF??? The other was a a vehicle accident where the other guy was at fault and had no insurance.
I wouldn't take any boat or car out without insurance.
That's just me, it may not be for everyone else though.
I just don't want to get sued for everything I own if I was at fault and had no insurance.

See ya,
Kelly

No offense, but to me it sounds like you weren't aware enough of the road conditions, or ignored them and continued to travel too fast.

huskyrider 04-04-2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crossett (Post 3368401)
No offense, but to me it sounds like you weren't aware enough of the road conditions, or ignored them and continued to travel too fast.

No sir, I was in a dually coming up the TX highway doing at least 10 mph below the 65 speed limit approaching a 3-way intersection when a car approaching the light from the other side shot out into my side of the road because it wasn't a divided roadway. A driver on my side had moved into the left turn lane and triggered a yellow light for them while ours stayed green. I phucked up and panic braked and pointed for the ditch and buggered up my truck.
I was very pissed at the troopers call on who was at fault and at the time I wished we'd of hit. My brain was pretty phucked up then too because of rage over his decision. In hindsight I'm glad we didn't make contact.

I wasn't knocking your "no insurance" comment, I was just stating it wouldn't be a decision I'd make.

See ya,
Kelly

ElimiNordic 04-04-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor73402 (Post 3368277)
Yes, I could just take the money out of the bank and pay cash for it easily, but in my opinion that's not a very smart thing to do. I understand everyone's opinion on this differs, but yes I'll be financing it.

Hi Trevor and welcome to OSO. You are going to get all kinds of different opinions on what to buy.

If you look over to the space under the avatar on the left and see what boat the guy has, you can pretty well guess what brand he will be recommending to you(duh).

The reason is we all feel passionate about our boats and the brand WE drive. A cat is a great choice and there are many insurance companies to write a policy.

It's not going to be your local guy or a company like Progressive or Geico. We are a small and unique group and you will need an agent like Stacy at Wake Zone or Sy Goldberg at Dollar. Look here on OSO in the insurance section.

You probably will not get a company to finance a true hi performance boat, so before you spend a lot of time on some brands, you might have to buy a mainstream boat just to get approved for a loan.

It does not matter how good your credit is, banks and credit unions are just tired of getting cheated by the hi performance boat folks who stripped out the drives and engines and gave the bank an empty hull in a repo.

Pete280 04-04-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Crossett (Post 3368398)
Theft could be a worry if you store your boat somewhere that isn't that secure. Personal injury falls under the being responsible category.

Hope nobody gets injured on your boat

WakezoneINS 04-04-2011 07:48 PM

Hi Trevor,

First, welcome to OSO! :) I'm sure you will find your membership here on OSO enjoyable and very useful.

I saw your post and the subsequent posts about checking out your insurance situation prior to even considering the jump to a boat of this type.

Given your previous ownership that you listed, insurance isn't going to be the cheapest thing to get in this deal and definitely not something that should be entrusted to a local broker that doesn't specialize in high performance marine insurance.

When you have some time I would love to chat with you on the phone to give you some insight on insuring boats of this type and caliber and what you're looking at as far as costs from an insurance standpoint. Feel free to give me a call anytime tomorrow, 866-728-9757 ext 101.

Talk to you soon hopefully! :)