Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat wanders side to side at idle speeds, Why? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250987-boat-wanders-side-side-idle-speeds-why.html)

Top Banana 04-08-2011 01:13 PM

Many deep vees and many years and ......they all do this, some more than others.

Leave it alone and it will go where you pointed it, it is "hunting"

The biggest error made by most new race drivers, was over correcting. The boats are much better than most drivers, leave them alone and they will take care of you.

cosmic12 04-08-2011 01:59 PM

I have had a bunch of singles and every one did it except for my 06 28 Active Thunder but it had full to the helm Hyd steering and a ITS XR drive.
I have never seen a twin with atleast a tie bar do it.
Did you say you have external Hyd? If so that is very odd.

LAriverratt 04-08-2011 02:24 PM

my 32 does it...hunting is what i was told, is it the nut behind the wheel???:grinser010: I have not tried putting the tabs down.

pitts1313 04-08-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by CMC (Post 3371731)
On single screw set ups, propeller torque causes it. It may seem like you want to adjust the wheel to compensate for it, but if you leave the wheel straight, the bow will usually partially come back > Of course all boats are slightly different.

Agreed. On a single the prop wants to claw the rear end out to the side at slow speed. A little more speed and the hull and the skeg and lower unit overtake the side torque. Take it out of gear at the same speed the boat wants to wander and it goes straight!

fastdonzi 04-08-2011 04:14 PM

My Donzi did it Bad, I got tired of correcting it and found that if you don't touch the wheel it will correct it's self and wonder to the other side and correct it's self the other way ans so on. if there's alot of boat traffic you need to keep it in check but idleing by your self try to not touch the wheel and watch it do it's thing from side to side but still go where you pointed it to begin with..

4195 04-08-2011 04:59 PM

Currents will also affect it but it comes from over compensating. It is very difficult to have the drives perfectly straight at that speed so any bit to left or right and it will take the boat a bit of distance but it will steer that way. Then the driver turns the wheel the other way thinking they are straightening it and they are over compensating the other way. I have had several v's and always have a long idle out so I am very familiar with it. Set the wheel straight and move the wheel half of what you think you need and over time it becomes second nature you won't even realize you are doing it. I'd it does it at speed then you have a steering issue.

f_inscreenname 04-08-2011 07:52 PM

Hydro, cable, duel cable, they all do it.
Like others said you learn how to compensate for it. I reckon it to rowing a gondola with a single oar.

Dkahnjob 04-08-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by cosmic12 (Post 3371953)
I have had a bunch of singles and every one did it except for my 06 28 Active Thunder but it had full to the helm Hyd steering and a ITS XR drive.
I have never seen a twin with atleast a tie bar do it.
Did you say you have external Hyd? If so that is very odd.

My Donzi did it Bad, I got tired of correcting it and found that if you don't touch the wheel it will correct it's self and wonder to the other side and correct it's self the other way ans so on. if there's alot of boat traffic you need to keep it in check but idleing by your self try to not touch the wheel and watch it do it's thing from side to side but still go where you pointed it to begin with

Yes, it does have a tie bar and hydraulic steering on the transom, but it is cable from the helm to the inside of the transom.

I measured the drive spacing and it appears that the drives are towed out about 3/8" Measuring the drive spacing on the front of the nose cones the front is about 3/8" farther apart than the back of the props. Are they supposed to be towed out or in????

dicudmore 04-08-2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob (Post 3372196)
My Donzi did it Bad, I got tired of correcting it and found that if you don't touch the wheel it will correct it's self and wonder to the other side and correct it's self the other way ans so on. if there's alot of boat traffic you need to keep it in check but idleing by your self try to not touch the wheel and watch it do it's thing from side to side but still go where you pointed it to begin with

Yes, it does have a tie bar and hydraulic steering on the transom, but it is cable from the helm to the inside of the transom.

I measured the drive spacing and it appears that the drives are towed out about 3/8" Measuring the drive spacing on the front of the nose cones the front is about 3/8" farther apart than the back of the props. Are they supposed to be towed out or in????

Dave congrats on the new to you ride :drink:

-Dan