Turning a stepped bottom boat >

Turning a stepped bottom boat

Notices

Turning a stepped bottom boat

Old 04-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning a stepped bottom boat

This is my first stepped bottom boat. I know not to tuck the drive going into a turn, my question is if your drive is tucked in a lil to begin with, do you raise the drive going into the turn or leave it steady?

thanx
Old 04-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How hard are you trying to turn? I have stock 496 mags with bravo1s on a 34 single step kachina & I really had to push it to get it to do anything funny. I did spin it out once but I was pushing it to the wall to do it.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The first thing is to trim the drive up just enough to carry the bow. Second make sure the inside trim tab is all the way up. Third , lowering the outer tab will help but may be too much for one person to do.Also in race conditions, apex the corner as to maintain a high rate of speed.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
How hard are you trying to turn? I have stock 496 mags with bravo1s on a 34 single step kachina & I really had to push it to get it to do anything funny. I did spin it out once but I was pushing it to the wall to do it.
I want to push mine to see where it spins. Was it violent and did you stay in the boat when it happened?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a driving class.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pitts1313
I want to push mine to see where it spins. Was it violent and did you stay in the boat when it happened?
Are you trying to spin it intentionally?????......Understand that once it happens you have no control or say as to how violent the outcome will be or what in fact will happen.......you could barrel roll the boat. I've been in a spin while in a sanctioned race event and wearing all safety gear (also with the protection of our safety divers on standby) and it is not a fun event. Luckily we came out of it without serious injury. I urge you not to intentionally place yourself or others in a perilous, potentially live threatening situation.

Frank
Old 04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonz
Are you trying to spin it intentionally?????......Understand that once it happens you have no control or say as to how violent the outcome will be or what in fact will happen.......you could barrel roll the boat. I've been in a spin while in a sanctioned race event and wearing all safety gear (also with the protection of our safety divers on standby) and it is not a fun event. Luckily we came out of it without serious injury. I urge you not to intentionally place yourself or others in a perilous, potentially live threatening situation.

Frank
+1 . . . . . there is no reason you should ever be operating your boat that close to the limit anyway. I understand your wanting to know how and why it happens but that can be done without experiencing it. Operate your boat in a safe controlled manor (within your limit that is). This does not mean below some speed but rather at a limit where you know how the boat is going to react, as you learn the hull your limit will increase. Fast and loose is not that fun . . . . .

Take it easy, have some fun and spend some time learning that boat, as i'm sure you will. Your question of if the drives are tucked a little and you initiate a turn, well it really depends how hard you pull into it. Again i doubt you will be pulling that hard but those are things that you will have to figure out on your own with that boat. I would definitely pull them up to neutral at a minimum. Also keep in mind some of these adjustments in trim may be slight. In other words trimmed a bit may be good for turning does not mean more trim is even better. Your boat will have sweet spots for a given situation.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-09-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keytime
Take a driving class.
Tres's class is on the agenda, just gotta come up with the $$$
Old 04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thedonz

Frank
Yes frank, was intentionally wanting to see where it spins. That said, i have no death wish or wanting to put others at risk. I'm listening for others experience. Barrel roll caught my attention! I'm new to a step bottom and scared of it. Was hoping I could see what it did like pushing a car to where you find the limit at moderate speeds. Like I said I'm interested in listening to others to keep from messing up. I want to drive mine to the best abilities safely. Thx
Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
+1 . . . . . there is no reason you should ever be operating your boat that close to the limit anyway. I understand your wanting to know how and why it happens but that can be done without experiencing it. Operate your boat in a safe controlled manor (within your limit that is). This does not mean below some speed but rather at a limit where you know how the boat is going to react, as you learn the hull your limit will increase. Fast and loose is not that fun . . . . .

Take it easy, have some fun and spend some time learning that boat, as i'm sure you will.
This pretty summarized me trying to find the limit. I have read on oso spin after spin. But can you guys tell what to look before it happens or how to set up for tight turn. Thx, sorry to run over OP thread but I think it's on topic what he is asking too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.