Notices

Toe in or Toe out???

Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toe in or Toe out???

What is the correct set up for a V- hull, twin engine, not staggered.

I have a Hallett 270T with twin Scorpions and it is now set up with 3/8" toe out. As mentioned in a previous post I am having major wandering problems at low (idle) speed. The dimension between the nose cones is greater than the distance between the props. That is toed out, right?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1/6 to an 1/8 inch should work for you,,,thats if your props are also turned out
Old 04-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
The dimension between the nose cones is greater than the distance between the props. That is toed out, right?
I believe the following to be correct, but I could always be in error.

If your porps are spinning OUT, that is considered towed IN....

If for your props are spinning IN, that is considered towed OUT
Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
1/6 to an 1/8 inch should work for you,,,thats if your props are also turned out
The props are spinning out. Am I better off this way or should I reverse them?
Thanks,
David
Old 04-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

The props are spinning out. Am I better off this way or should I reverse them?
Thanks,
David
If you are spinning out and the prop shafts are closer than the nose cones, then you are towed in. 3/8" might be a little too much. Spinning in or out is a matter of trial and error. Some boats like one over the other. Most boats will definitely be harder to backup spinning in, so if ease of backing in to a slip is a factor, out is going to be the way to go.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMS322
If you are spinning out and the prop shafts are closer than the nose cones, then you are towed in. 3/8" might be a little too much. Spinning in or out is a matter of trial and error. Some boats like one over the other. Most boats will definitely be harder to backup spinning in, so if ease of backing in to a slip is a factor, out is going to be the way to go.
i disagree,,you would be towed out,,,i look at it like this,, toe is at the front of the drive ,,props spinning out ,toe out
Old 04-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
i disagree,,you would be towed out,,,i look at it like this,, toe is at the front of the drive ,,props spinning out ,toe out
Now you got me rethinking this. I have this all written down in a notebook at my office, so I'll have to double check my notes.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dimension between the nose cones is greater than the distance between the props. That is toed out, right?
Correct.

Toe has nothing to do with which way the props spin.

Stand at the rear of your boat, put your feet how your drives are. If your toes are facing in/heels out, you are toed in. If your toes are facing out/heels in, you are toed out.

Pretend you are at the helm, if you look back and see (pretend these lines are each drive)

\ / would be toed out

/\ would be toed in

|| would be how you want to be when running

Goal is for the drives to be in line ( | | )when running.

Props spinning out: side pressure on the drive from the prop torque will try to pull the props together. If you toe in slightly, the props pulling together will pull your drives back straight. From / \ to | |

Props spinning in: side pressure on the drive from the prop torque will push the props apart. If you toe out slightly, the props pushing apart will pull your drives back straight. From \ / to | |

Again, the goal is to be | | when running.

Get in your car and go 60MPH, stick your hand out the window so it is most areodynamic (90 degrees to direction of travel). Now twist is slightly, feel how much extra pressure is on your hand? Water has a lot more resistance than air!

If you have strong steering your props may not have the strength to pull/push the drive at all; which is a good thing.

Problem with all of this is you can't measure toe when running, when the side pressure is on the drives. So it is kind of shoot and guess and hope. Little adjustments work best, back to the hand out the window thing. Slightest change can change a lot.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Registered

Would toe out be the same as a car? Make it wander? Toed in slightly on a car is better than toed out. What about just getting it dead on straight? Wouldn't that be the goal? Just curious and watching this thread for info.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Maryland Mark: Your post makes good sense. I will try to bring the drives back closer to parallel, hopefully that will help stabilize the low speed issues that I am having.
Thanks for the info.
David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.