Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Look Out Powerboat..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/251088-look-out-powerboat.html)

tylerjustinhunt 04-10-2011 10:56 AM

Looks awesome in person, I saw it at the show and didn't even notice the open bow till my girlfriend pointed it out.

Matt Trulio 04-10-2011 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 3372931)
HORBA worked with Boating to help them create an issue, that covered many high performance boat companies histories.

They seem like they are really interested in this HPB area, as they can see the other magazines that covered this are slowing down a bit.

We expect to do much more with them in the future.

With all due respect, Charlie, and not having been in on any of your conversations with whoever "they" are at Boating, I don't think they have a long-term interest in high-performance boating beyond pulling in high-performance boat advertisers. They are, like everyone else in marine publishing, looking for another revenue stream. And who can blame them?

It's worth keeping in mind that Speedboat was launched by the same outfit that publishes Boating (they might have changed publishes since then ... Hachette to Bonnier... not sure) and that magazine got shelved when it didn't immediately deliver profitability. So at least based on history, long-term commitment to the market seems lacking. (Of course, if they are under a different publisher since the Speeboat days that could be a different matter.)

Just a point of clarification" Go-fast boat magazines are "slowing down" because the market is slowing down, to put it mildly. It's that simple.

This is not a defense of Powerboat. Not at all, the more the merrier, especially for all of you (and even me, because I am a freelancer). It's just a reality check.

That said ... power to Boating for recognizing the most compelling segment of the powerboating market.

36Tango 04-10-2011 11:44 AM

I like the mid cuddy open bow. While it should probably not be used "at speed" in rough water, it is a great addition. I bet that the open bow will be used more than most full cuddys get used. In fact, the mid cuddy probably does everything that most people need anyway.

Great job, Donzi! I like it when manufacturers take a chance on a new design. Who would have ever thought of an open bow Donzi 10 years ago?

TexomaPowerboater 04-10-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 36Tango (Post 3373105)
I like the mid cuddy open bow. While it should probably not be used "at speed" in rough water, it is a great addition. I bet that the open bow will be used more than most full cuddys get used. In fact, the mid cuddy probably does everything that most people need anyway.

Great job, Donzi! I like it when manufacturers take a chance on a new design. Who would have ever thought of an open bow Donzi 10 years ago?

I like it on the 35 Donzi because the cabin headroom, or lack therof, almost deemed the entire cabin unuseable. I don't care for it much on the other models.

TexomaPowerboater 04-10-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by wananewboat (Post 3372937)
They did it to an Apache.

Say it ain't so:eek:

Matt Trulio 04-10-2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 36Tango (Post 3373105)

I agree. While mid-cabins don't do a whole lot for a boat's looks and performance, they do add a lot in terms of functionality and versatility.

GB 04-10-2011 01:36 PM

Think I'll wait on the rest of the South FL builders to catch up, to make the comparison. :D

thisistank 04-10-2011 02:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This boat was actually tested by powerboat and is in the currect (June 2011) issue.

Having had the opportunity to ride on the boat during the test, I gotta say, It's a sweet ride! I also think that with all the intercoastal water ways in Florida and lakes on the east coast, it is time for the west coast rage that is the mid-cabin/open bow to find it's way east. It's actually the perfect boat for South Florida. Nice facing lounge, built in coolers, storage, lights and fans in the cabin with a door that leads to a very comfortable bow seating area. It's a cool boat, ran great in the slop that Ft. Myers kicked up and looked sexy at the dock. I know it's not for everyone, but I can appreciate it for what it is.

thirdchildhood 04-10-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3373169)
This boat was actually tested by powerboat and is in the currect (June 2011) issue.

Having had the opportunity to ride on the boat during the test, I gotta say, It's a sweet ride! I also think that with all the intercoastal water ways in Florida and lakes on the east coast, it is time for the west coast rage that is the mid-cabin/open bow to find it's way east. It's actually the perfect boat for South Florida. Nice facing lounge, built in coolers, storage, lights and fans in the cabin with a door that leads to a very comfortable bow seating area. It's a cool boat, ran great in the slop that Ft. Myers kicked up and looked sexy at the dock. I know it's not for everyone, but I can appreciate it for what it is.

This style is not for me but I'd take it over a center console any day. Also I don't think that a near $300,000 boat should have production power. This boat should have 525s. The article said it ran 78 mph with the new 502s though. This whole issue is great with articles on Sunsation, Cigarette, the new chevy small block v-8 based outboard and thunderboat row and Don Aronow. Plus the Donzi test.

Padraig 04-10-2011 04:34 PM

It is still ugly but I quess it would make a good lake boat where you wouldn't have to worry about it filling the bow with water.

Wasn't it Boating Mag that let Eric Colby go for some BS reason? If so, the hell with them.