Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Saltwater Cleanup Tips??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/251164-saltwater-cleanup-tips.html)

bigblue 04-11-2011 07:51 PM

I used to only spend a few weekends in salt water and did most of my boating in fresh. Now illbe in salt all year. I rinse and do the salt away. Lots of work but well worth it:drink:

kreed 04-11-2011 08:08 PM

Scot, dump your Active Thunder in the drink at Hayes Haven Marina(Deep River). Prolly 15 minutes of fresh water running before you take the boat out. PLUS!!! No public launch morons (30Sutphen) to deal with aaaaaand, no DEP or police there waiting for you to come in with "beer breath".:drink: Win, Win and Win.

SS930 04-12-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by kreed (Post 3374264)
Scot, dump your Active Thunder in the drink at Hayes Haven Marina(Deep River). Prolly 15 minutes of fresh water running before you take the boat out. PLUS!!! No public launch morons (30Sutphen) to deal with aaaaaand, no DEP or police there waiting for you to come in with "beer breath".:drink: Win, Win and Win.

Good tip Kevin, I'll have to see if my Sutphen can be launched there! Question though, how long does it take to get there from OS by river???

Wildman_grafix 04-12-2011 06:12 AM

Do you guys have closed cooling or open?

I have been thinking of adding a closed system to mine.

kreed 04-12-2011 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 3374523)
Good tip Kevin, I'll have to see if my Sutphen can be launched there! Question though, how long does it take to get there from OS by river???

Scot, I think its about 20 min. away by water, some of which is the Essex marina( no wake zone). Ask Justin, he keeps his boat there and it is fresh water.

happy hours 04-12-2011 06:05 PM

I boat 100% in salt and took a 1988 engine apart that probably had 2000 hrs on it and the internal passages looked fine. I have heard you shouldn't closed loop cool an engine that has been previously run in salt, due to scale.

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 3374533)
Do you guys have closed cooling or open?

I have been thinking of adding a closed system to mine.

seafordguy 04-12-2011 06:18 PM

When I was a kid we used to throw thermostats in the trash every year, no questions asked, and they always were a mess. We started using Salt-A-Way and when we started pulling them the next summer they were always clean enough to put back in the engine. I am a believer.

Like everyone said spend lots of time spraying down everything. Drives, Transom Assemblies, Platform, Skidplates, and especially the trailer!!

I always run for about 10 minutes before I switch over to saltaway. I don't have stats, but if you do make SURE you get them opened before you let the Salt-A-Way flow...