Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Class V Hitch (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25129-class-v-hitch.html)

NW_Jim 05-26-2002 03:27 PM

My Titan V didn't come in yet.:mad:
I ordered it a week ago last Thursday and they said it would be in Monday. I guess I should have asked them which week.

I would sure hope that someone would carry a locking pin for these things since they are definitely the most expensive.:eek:

I asked for one and they said no problem.

These are they same people that said it would be in on Monday.:rolleyes:

patience...patience...

Rule #1

Never pray to God for patience. He will reward you with many
opportunities to practice.

h2owarrior 05-26-2002 04:33 PM

Sorry:rolleyes: I misunderstood what you said. You did say locking pin, as in anti-theft. I would suggest drilling out the current pin and using a pad lock if you cannot find one commercially available. You do not want to simply machine an existing pin or fabricate your own unless you know the specs and can properely heat treat the pin. Case hardness and depth is important when it comes to impact strength, wear and shear capability.

enticer 05-26-2002 10:18 PM

There is new style locking pin with a "U" on one end and a lock on the other. It requires 2 holes ...1 for the pin and 1 for the other end of the "U" ...and what this does is keep the little movement we all get in the draw bar and receiver. You now the "clunking" at red lights or stopping and pulling out...the one that makes you slow up and think "What the hell is that noise"

If your receiver does not have 2 holes...I just drilled another ...only on one side..because I always put my lock on the port side of the hitch...because of the brake socket. Call "Back East Acessories: 724-863-7000 ask for Joe

This is in no way an advertisement.....that's where I know you can get them
Yes for Class V Titans

buck183 05-27-2002 02:58 PM

If you have to wait awhile for a locking pin I would use a grade 8 bolt in a pinch. I have a lot of customers that use this instead of a lock. They usually double nut them and never take them out though. Would work good in a pinch if you can't find one quickly.

Buck

h2owarrior 05-27-2002 04:34 PM

buck183, I would not try this.:( Use the pin that came with the hitch until you can get a good locking pin. Grade 8 bolts are great for bolted joints when the joint carries a portion of the load. By themselves they do not have the shear capacity. Think of your lug nuts, when they are tight, they will carry a tremendous load, if the joint is loose a 30 mph panic stop can shear them off.

Obviously everyone has an opinion, and I respect that, but I would not do this with a 12,000# load (which probably cost $xxx,xxx.xx).:D

buck183 05-27-2002 05:34 PM

I have never personally done this myself. Although I have customers that haul Cattle and Equipment in excess of some of the loads we are carrying in our boats that do it all the time. Seems kind of hick to me, but I would think it would work in a pinch.

Buck

candyman35 05-27-2002 10:26 PM

Reese makes a lock for the Titan. I am picking mine up on Tuesday from the dealer. I had to call Reese because the item wasn't listed in the catalog. I’ll post the number for you.
Dan

candyman35 05-31-2002 04:13 PM

The Reese part number is 74172. It is a standard 5/8" pin. Fulton is the manufacturer name stamped on the piece.
Dan