"Happy" Sterling 1700s Headed for Skater 388

Notices

"Happy" Sterling 1700s Headed for Skater 388

Old 04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheer Insanity
There's some serious money in race engines? 130K. I know it takes alot of testing, research and development but that seems crazy.. X 2 260,000.00 + tax = 275,600.00 for only engines? They should throw in the drives for free! ++ the need to rebuild every 100-150 hours or less.

I think I will go with diesels or turbines when ready to take that step in power.
Just to clarify: $203,000 equals retail for Mercury Racing 1350 engine with an M8 drive.

$130,000 equals retail for Sterling 1700 without a drive, the most likely and appropriate candidate for which would be something from Arneson, which relative to other choices is reasonably priced.

But no matter how much we like or don't like it, to play at this level takes big bucks. Sterling's shop is full of engines getting rebuilt—engines from other builders claimed to make huge horsepower on the cheap.

Not saying Sterling and Mercury Racing are the only players. I am saying you get what you pay for, and that reliable—key word—big marine horsepower never comes cheap.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
really theres a place called HERING so what are Aqua Mania,David Scott,Pyburn,Gary Smith running ??? sure sounds like Hering Titanium got it going on may wanna give Ben robertson jr a call
So far they have thrown ears off of every prop Herring has sent them, including the Titanium.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac
So far they have thrown ears off of every prop Herring has sent them, including the Titanium.

I can't speak to this discussion because I don't know any of the facts, but I can say Mercury Racing had to create a special line of propellers for the 1350 because nothing in its existing line could handle the torque.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac
Im sure Herring is working over time to make something to hold up but if Titanium props are throwing blades I bet they are scratching their heads? Maybe even each others heads??

Last edited by Sheer Insanity; 04-14-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Im sure Herring is working over time to make something to hold up but if Titanium props are throwing blades I bet they are scratching their heads? Maybe even each others heads??
Titanium made for 750hp or less. Meant for acceleration and to help out a less hp boat. I was there the first time they ever put them on a boat I believe, last year at Loto on sam smiths 388.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts