Notices

When is fast too fast?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When is fast too fast?

I've been reading posts on here over the past few months about guys building new boats with monster power. My fear is we are starting to get to the point where things are going to start ending badly in the not to distant future.

Boat manufacturers are building lighter and lighter boats out of high tech composites, and using aero techniques to increase boat speeds (such as widening tunnels, etc), but at the same time modern engine management systems are making monster engines almost practical to live with on a daily basis. With turbos starting to replace superchargers (it took long enough!), the amount of power that is starting to be made, and being made available in high performance pleasure boats, is almost disturbing. So while the boats are getting faster on their own, the power being offered in the not to distant future will at some point become a real concern... if we haven't already started to cross the line.

While I know some folks are thinking, "180 mph+ is nothing, I want to go faster... you're being a wussy, blah blah, blah..." The reality is I'm a speed junky, but think about how fast 180+ mph on the water is. That's really, really moving considering the surface you're running on is dynamic in nature and that many of these boats being built are open top pleasure boats!

The some open top boats being built this year are going to be offered with 1500+ hp engines... and I'm sure 2,000+ hp engines are out there waiting to be tested for customers to buy. Any customer with enough money can buy them.

Think about that. Any Rodney Dangerfield with a big wallet and no boating experience can walk into Skater, MTI, etc and buy a boat that will run 200+ mph these days. All it takes is money. Add in some ego, maybe a couple of drinks for good measure, and we have the possibility of reading some tragic headlines. Sadly, chances are this guy will likely be taking others out with him... And I dont see this being an isolated tragedy either, it's only going to become more frequent as the boats get faster and the engines more powerful.

Are we at the point where we need to start being concerned or even policing ourselves? Personally I think we're really close, if not already there. I fear we'll be reading some disturbing headlines in the not to distant future.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and they can go buy a Lambo, or an airplane for a speed fix so whats any different , and i doubt they'd be a 1st X boater
Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard to answer that question because of all of the variables. I would think 80 mph in a 25 footer is more dangerous then 150+ in a Mystic. I would also think 80 mph in a 25 Baja with Joe Schmo on the throttles is more of a concern then JT taking the Mercedes boat up to 190+.....

Last edited by Big Time; 03-31-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Too much Big Brother in the world already. Personal responsibility and common sense have to prevail. The Darwin Theory will rid out those without it.

While I agree with your premise, I disagree w/your solution. I don't wear seatbelts or helmets for spite though... right or wrong. I hate being told I HAVE to do ANYthing. Supposed to be a free country and it’s becoming everything but.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
and they can go buy a Lambo, or an airplane for a speed fix so whats any different , and i doubt they'd be a 1st X boater
Or for that matter, for about $10K, a bike that will do ~200.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The real problem is not the top end guys. If you have made it to 150 and above you probably have either bought your way there through a series of boats, or built your way there, also through a series of boats. The real problem is the numerous 70-80-90 mph boats that someone can just go out and pickup, and in this economy, pretty cheaply. Couple a youngish, bold guy with a fistful of throttles and a 70+ mph step bottom boat and you have some real issues. Esp. if he and his 4 buddies are drinking. We have come a long way from the days when a 60 mph boat was fast, and now there is no learning curve. Of course the chitty economy has taken a lot of people out of the market so there is a little saving grace there.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by rainmn
Or for that matter, for about $10K, a bike that will do ~200.
That tends to be self-correcting.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm with nobody
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog88
Too much Big Brother in the world already. Personal responsibility and common sense have to prevail. The Darwin Theory will rid out those without it.

While I agree with your premise, I disagree w/your solution. I don't wear seatbelts or helmets for spite though... right or wrong. I hate being told I HAVE to do ANYthing. Supposed to be a free country and it’s becoming everything but.
Well put.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Racer
Racer

When is Fast too Fast?

Ken Warby would probably say around 300 mph
Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I think TOO fast is always relative - if it's so fast the owner can't handle it, then clearly - it's too fast. I think the examples offered above point that out pretty well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.