Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Scam from OSO classified? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/251539-scam-oso-classified.html)

low_psi 04-17-2011 03:02 PM

I had a lady call in reponse to a Craigslist ad that I had for 4.3L Vortec Head. So went through the normal, where are you located, is this the best price you can offer, etc. The she says to me "what does your product do?" So I immediately followed with this "What do you mean, what does this product do? They are heads for a 4.3L Chevrolet Motor!" She replied with "Will the fit in my Mazda?" So I replied, "Yes the will fit in the trunk of your Mazda." I then said "These are engine components for a specific Chevy engine". So she than said. "My friend has a Chevy Malibu". At that point I just hung up the phone.......

While in your case, it looks to be a pre typed phishing letter, there are some weirdos out there.....

PARADOX 04-26-2011 02:02 PM

Got a nother one today.
Beware of this guy with this E-mail also.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Subject: PAYMENT
Date: 4/26/2011 2:14:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time

To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hello
Thanks for your urgently mail,i am ok with your asking price and you don,t need to bother or strees yourself about the shippment cos i have a reliable shipper that will come to your location for the pickup of the item to my house in u s a and also my shipper will be assisting me in clearing and picking some of my goods that i bought from other buyers down to my house i will like to have your full information for the payment So that i can forward it to my Accountact to issue you payment, kindly mail me back in Time,with your full detail,I will like if you can confirm the following details to me for the cheque to be send to you within a limited time we have to conclude this transaction.
NOTE confirm the Details to me?
Name:............................................. ..........
Address:.......................................... ..........
zipcode........................................... ..........
country........................................... ..........
Telephone Number.................
and mobile number for easy
communication..................................... .
Hope my statement is stated clearly.
Awaiting to hear from you asap.
Best regards

GLH 04-26-2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 3378128)
....doctoral degree in aviation as a Doctor of Philosophy in Aviation.....

Here's his thesis...

http://xpda.com/junkmail/junk188/potw02_1250.jpg

Donzinator 04-26-2011 02:39 PM

Forget about that guy.....I currently live in an undisclosed area of the country and am very interested. Please send me your address so I can send a couple of my friends by to inspect the, uh.....equipment to be sold. We will be there about 3:00 AM, don't wory about answering the door, we'll just let ourselves in. The "wire" transfer will take place when it's around your.......uh I mean we'll finish the transaction then.:bong:

Seriously, I've done alot of business with people all around the world (even ones that can't put two words of English together) and have never seen anything (legitimate) like this. Even if he is I'd still run. Gotta admit tho... its good for a laugh.:lolhit:

Raylar 04-27-2011 09:36 AM

I received an email the other day from a person name "Ralphy" in the UK in response to a parts wanted add on OSO and he claimed to have every part I needed and wanted us to send him a Western Union Money Gram for the parts unseen and undisclosed or pictured! I sent him a nice response asking him to crawl back under the slimey rocks he appeared from!
Warning to all here on OSO, there are a lot of SCAMMERS lurking on these sites and if you are silly enough to get caught up in their scams, kiss your dollars goodbye!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

thirdchildhood 04-27-2011 11:23 AM

They are trying anything new. I got a scam "relay" phone call about puppies I had in the local newspaper! I won't relate all the details, you know the routine. I don't accept any relay calls now.

thirdchildhood 04-27-2011 11:35 AM

Reports of all these scams and people being unhappy with their dealings with advertisers here is scary. I would like to say something positive. I bought my 525 from a member here in Tennessee and the engine was all it was said to be and the deal went well and the engine has run strong for 2 seasons now. I also bought my Bravo XR upper from an advertiser on this site, Gavin Marine, and the product was delivered promptly and was exactly as stated. I hate to think I just got lucky twice.

Gordo 04-27-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 3378358)
Vhen ded i sey i wus a docter?
Ok.. you got me on this one, and I needed a laugh.
Mi spalling is grait, it'z mi tiping thet sax. :drink:

I just spit coffee all over my keyboard from laughing... :D