Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2 WD vs 4 x 4 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25165-2-wd-vs-4-x-4-a.html)

BucketHead 05-26-2002 07:28 PM

2 WD vs 4 x 4

I am shopping for a new truck. Have decided on a Ford with the PSD. Problem is which truck. The dealer has three trucks I like a lot. An F350 4x4 SRW, F350 4x4 DRW, F350 4x2 DRW.

I am leaning a lot toward the duelly. Question is 4x4 or 4x2? I have owned six Jeeps 4x4, two GMC 4x4 and a Ford Excursion 4x4. I have to laugh at how many times I have had them in 4 wheel drive mode, maybe twice in five years. So I am leaning toward the F350 Duelly 4x2, PSD with 4.10 rear end.

I have been told that a duelly is not worth a damn in snow and ice, that you might as well leave it parked. I will have another 4x4 anyway to get around in. For this reason the 4x2 seems better. Are there ever any times when you guys have had to use 4x4 at the ramps? My home lake has very nice ramps that are not very steep. But I am buying this truck so I can get out and travel more with the 36 Outlaw.

Which is the best way to go?

pullmytrigger 05-26-2002 08:39 PM

If you're doing some travelling to parts unknown go with the 4x4. Just imagine worst case scenario, you're having a great day and stay on the lake as long as you can, you get to the ramp at 8:30 pm on Sunday night, everyone else is gone except some guys pulling out their tin boat with a Honda Accord, you cant make it up the ramp , too slippery...............:eek: :eek:whadaya do?? . I personally was at a crowded ramp when a guy couldnt pull his 28ft cabin cruiser out with a Ford 2wd ext cab dually,3 tries,too slippery. I finally hooked on with my old 78 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pu and walked that thing out of there without spinning a wheel in low range to cheers from the 20 or 25 people waiting around to pull out 6 or 7 boats.............good thing I was there AND willing to do it. 4x4 good insurance........Doug

birdog 05-26-2002 08:56 PM

My trick with my dually was to keep 2 plastic 55 gallon drums in the bed,If you need them at a ramp you can always find water! When you get out you empty them.Winter time you leave them full and it will go anywhere!!! Just be sure either truck you get has limitied slip rearend,2x2 is 1 wheel drive & 4x4 is 2wheel drive whithout.

velocity260 05-26-2002 10:43 PM

I agree with above its always nice to have the insurance I too have seen same scenario as above. Too slippery a ramp can get traction. If your going to be towing that size boat probally wouldnt hurt. Plus I think 4*4's just look better than the 4*2's. Of course that just my opinion I could be wrong:D If you are talking snow and ice they are right with no weight in the back you will need 4wd. Heck 3/4 would be worthless without 4wd with our snow storms.

cast 05-26-2002 11:09 PM

4x4

get the 4x4 ,we tow all types of boat from 10 feet to 50 feet up to 40000lb with are 2000 ford f350 powerstroke when the ramp is wet i use the 4x4 in low its the best truck :D :D

BajaBoss252 05-26-2002 11:23 PM

I have to agree, 4x4 is the way to go. Just last week my buddy was trying to pull me out with my truck and there was mud on the ramp. He shot mud all the way down the side of my boat before he threw it into 4 wheel drive. In 2 wheel drive he couldn't get my boat out of the water because there was just too much mud. He put it in 4 low after I yelled at him for getting mud all over my boat and it yanked it right up the ramp without spinning the tires at all...

BajaBoss252 05-26-2002 11:23 PM

Oh, it's a 99 Tahoe by the way...

speedrush 05-26-2002 11:34 PM

*FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE FORDS*

goob 05-26-2002 11:44 PM

I have a 00 GMC Crew cab dually that is 2wd and I have never had any problems getting up ramps. Here in Tennesse we have some steep ramps and although I was towing a sport 280 I still never had problems on steep ramps. I would without a doubt get the dually because the stability is unreal. I have a slide-in truck camper and with the boat and camper you can pass semi's and not wiggle the steering wheel.
mike

goob 05-26-2002 11:49 PM

Oh yea, in ice and snow I've not had any problems with the drw 2wd. We had an ice storm a few years back and I went right through it. But it also depends on how you drive. If you want to have fun and hammer it, a crew cab dually going down the road sideways looks pretty wild!