Notices

push pin cleats

Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default push pin cleats

I'm wondering how many others are using the push pin style cleats. I've seen them on a couple different sites but can't get a read if they are designed just for positioning fenders or if they can they be used for mooring lines as well. I'm in the process of having a new boat built and would really like to keep the clean lines of all push pin style cleats but don't want to have to worry if I left the boat tied up at the dock overnight.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use push pin cleats on my 20' allison SS they are sweet and fast (but a light boat) , but on a off-shore boat (heavy) they may put too much stress on the glass for morring/docking (a single point of pull). I have seen others use them for hanging frenders they are prefect, with the fender hight is fixed and works with every dock or tie-up. a very fast way to deploy fenders.
Jeff
Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

My DCB has push pins next to pop out cleats. I use the push pins for fenders and the cleats for mooring. The push pins are backed but with a boat of my size I wouldn't trust them in a thunderstorm. With that said, I know Outerlimits uses the push pins, I believe exclusively. It makes for a neat and tidey tie up.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
My DCB has push pins next to pop out cleats. I use the push pins for fenders and the cleats for mooring. The push pins are backed but with a boat of my size I wouldn't trust them in a thunderstorm.
Ditto for me as well. Unfortunately I only had the cleats put in next to the rear and side push pin cleats but was talked out of the bow area. Mistake Get the cleats.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

I like mushroom cleats better. They are more versatile; and you don't have little projectile paint/gel chippers attached to the ends of your lines.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Our set up's for mainly the past decade have been all been pin cleats. We usually have a pop up cleat on the bow and the rest pins for both lines and fenders.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
Our set up's for mainly the past decade have been all been pin cleats. We usually have a pop up cleat on the bow and the rest pins for both lines and fenders.
My OuterLimits (1998 side by side bravo) had a pop up
cleat at the bow, push pin cleats along the sides, and also
two mushroom cleats along the sides for bumpers. It was
one of those really good ideas, that at least for me, did not
work very well in the real world. I would pull up to the gas
dock alone, the attendant would throw me a line, a I would
have to throw it back and use my lines with the push pin,
attached to them.

They looked great, but I prefer a bunch of pop up cleats
Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a couple push pins between the rear cleats and center cleats for fenders. I love the way pin cleats look but having to raft two Outerlimits together can be a challenge! Most guys have only a line with one pin cleat on it so you have to tie two together and that usually leaves you short for lines. One of my friends did make a really trick set of dual pin cleat lines that are just the right length to raft two simillar OL's together.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom., I have pushpins with the open eyes on em, just loop swoop and pull, bowline's and you're set..

I agree, been in the situation rafting and I'm going, damnit, i'm out of lines hah
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Was wondering for those that use them for mooring lines which ones to you have. I've seen some from Livorsi and some others from Eddie Marine that appear to be larger diameter pins.

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/cleats.html#quickcleat

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...&p=16856&c=222

My intention is to follow Outerlimits lead and go with all pushpins but want to make sure it's safe. Plan is to have two sets on each rear corner, two sets on each side in amidships and a single on each side of the bow. Planning to use the ones from Eddie Marine and use all double eye pins. That way I have plenty of available options.

Please let me know if there are better ones out there or have a better place to get them.

TIA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.