I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing >

I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing

Notices

I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing

Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not quite following the reason of the past history and how does that relate to the current situation, other than true value before this sinking.

So Chad bought the boat and ran it onto rocks, at which point it was sent to SPM and repaired, backflushed and new waterpumps installed.

2 weeks later it sunk while in Chads possession do to the melted rubber from over heating? Not following why the original salvage designation has any bearing on this incident. Was this recently sinking the only time it sunk and the original damage is unknown?

Looks like a nice boat, but I'm confused. Details are being danced around here.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-21-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still trying to let all this sink in.....

In the last year you have purchased boat...
Run aground on rocks...
Overheated enough to melt exhaust hose...
Sunk (partially)...
Posted story on the largest boating website....

And your worried about resale value from something that may/or may not have happened to same boat a few years ago.Help me out because I think you have done more to your boats resale value than any one else.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
.... How on earth does the impeller look brand new after it overheated that badly?.....

***Not suggesting this is the situation here at all, but just a 'theory' to explain the above question.**

New impellors installed after system was back flushed by an experienced person.

Inlet valves in closed position.

Owner forgets to open valves and runs motors long enough to smoke the new impellors, but then realizes the the new impellors are now toast. No damage other than needing another set of impellors.

Someone with lack of experience installs new impellors w/o removing all the peices from the damaged impellors

Opens valves, starts motors,

The old peices cause too much flow restriction causing the exhaust to get hot and melt the rubber, yet the presence of water is enough to keep the 2nd set of new impellors to stay intact looking new. Over temp alarms going off go unnoticed.

Boat sinks with both undamaged new impellors and the previously new damaged impellors in the housing outlet.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bingo!!!!

+1
Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MizzouMatt
I respect the fact that you came out and stated that you were the one who sold him the boat before anyone else did. I think that is a good move, as powerful as a tool OSO is. Many lurkers, including me, watch how companies and people handle themselves in situations like this. I hope you guys get the issues resolved.
+1 I should have read the thread more carefully. I wasn't aware of the current "sinking".

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
I'm a little confused,first off sorry about your boat but you did not mention that the boat sank (sort of while you owned it) also.So you are stating that its been down twice?
Honestly if I am understanding this correctly if it was or wasn't a salvage title when you bought it,well it is now.So whats the difference for resale value.Unless the previous damage caused the sinking which with the facts presented at this time seems unlikely.
As someone else said, the details are dancing around here.

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
***Not suggesting this is the situation here at all, but just a 'theory' to explain the above question.**

Owner forgets to open valves and runs motors long enough to smoke the new impellors, but then realizes the the new impellors are now toast. No damage other than needing another set of impellors.

Someone with lack of experience installs new impellors w/o removing all the peices from the damaged impellors

The old peices cause too much flow restriction causing the exhaust to get hot and melt the rubber, yet the presence of water is enough to keep the 2nd set of new impellors to stay intact looking new. Over temp alarms going off go unnoticed.

Boat sinks with both undamaged new impellors and the previously new damaged impellors in the housing outlet.
Seems more than likely.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Shogren
The rubber between the tailpipes and the pipes off headers at the transom wall got so hot they melted and the water came in thru the transom.
Good Lord......

Are the engines still running?? EDIT - nevermind the boat sank.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Shogren
We flushed the system, installed a new water pump. Two weeks after we delivered boat it overheated, melted hoses, this is what dealer pulled out and also pulled a intact new impeller out

Regards,

Scott Shogren
Looks like someone forgot to do Step 1 before Step 2

Post #33 confused the heck out of me until today. Seems this boat has problem owners.

I'm going to assume, from how this was presented initially, that the current owner would like to go back to step 1 and get compensated for a Salvage (salvage #1), and try this all over again? Someone put a new impeller in before getting rid of the exploded impeller's broken pieces. Who did that?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain

Or as we are speculating,boat sinks is raised new impellors are installed.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lesson from all this is the next time I'm thinking about buying a boat I'm going to have my insurance guy run the hull number. I'll never again trust the boat's title!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.