Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing >

I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing

Notices

I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing

Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is interesting how this is evolving...
Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by cpiefer06
It is interesting how this is evolving...
No kidding!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Brad Zastrow;3383593]You did not hear the overheat buzzers? You did not see the gauges? You could not smell the burning rubber? How on earth does the impeller look brand new after it overheated that badly? I think there is a lot more to this story. I going on a limb to say you sunk the boat and now you do not want it and are looking to blame the dealer by bringing up something that may or may not have

No alarms and gauges showed fine. Due to that I was suspicious of the air conditioning unit overheating. It seemed to be but now I know. All I want is a good boat and yes, there is a ton to this story
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If there is "Tons" to this story, you appear to have a captive audience with the dealer willing to help. It would seem to be appropriate to start with a helpful dealer, and not an open forum. Come clean and deal with them is my suggestion. It's not that often you have help waiting in the wings like this.

The insurance company has questions, one being why there was a brand new impeller in boat and a chewed up impeller that looks brand new inside? It is unclear why boat was driven so long while overheating and smells of burning rubber and smoke coming out of engine compartment reported by customer. The rubber between the tailpipes and the pipes off headers at the transom wall got so hot they melted and the water came in thru the transom.

If we did something wrong we will stand behind it but it is hard to understand how it got so hot that it melted these radial pieces of rubber and the headers got brown two weeks after we delivered the boat but yet there was a like new impeller in motor and fragments of an impeller that looked brand new in hose to pump. We are concerned that the day after we delivered boat it was below freezing and possible that motor was started with ice in hoses not allowing water flow.

Chad, we have offered to fix boat if it was our error and or take boat back on trade. We asked you to let us know where you stand with insurance company so that we can make decision on which way to go with this as there are details you are not posting nor do I feel relevance to post.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

I never had any intention at all of mentioning the dealer's name on here. He came forward which is respectable. I called him a reputable dealer from the start and I was only seeking opinions. The story has went on from last October when I bought the boat. It has been one thing after another.(salvaged boat ????) I only put maybe 2 hours on it.The whole story is huge. Scott and I tried to resolve these issues. He was always right there to answer phone calls and take emails. I respect that and he has offered to trade me boats. I think he realizes I'm in a bad spot. However we can't seem to agree on details of a new transaction. I'd be losing 18K in my opinion. Hopefully the boat gets repaired nicely and I can finally make a nice boat.

PS... In regards to the impellers, a boat surveyor hired by my insurance company has stated improper installation and only one company ever touched them. Also when the boat was delivered to me back in October, the general manager of Shogren overheated the boat and had to call a mechanic to replace the impellers. And I got NO alarms and gauges read good when it happened to me. Even water pressure showed 15 pounds. I thought the AC/heat unit was overheating since it was doing screwy things. I like this boat and it looks like I better learn to love it..
Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

[QUOTE=dodgeman111;3383791]
Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
You did not hear the overheat buzzers? You did not see the gauges? You could not smell the burning rubber? How on earth does the impeller look brand new after it overheated that badly? I think there is a lot more to this story. I going on a limb to say you sunk the boat and now you do not want it and are looking to blame the dealer by bringing up something that may or may not have

No alarms and gauges showed fine. Due to that I was suspicious of the air conditioning unit overheating. It seemed to be but now I know. All I want is a good boat and yes, there is a ton to this story
You got the motor hot enough to melt exhaust hose but no alarms and gauges showed normal? Very hard to believe.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Maybe not a funny situation but that made me laugh..Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

i'm new to boating, but this sounds like one of those crappy deals for both parties. sounds like there is blame to be had on both sides, it's just one of those vehicles that no matter what you do something goes wrong. i must say that i'm impressed that the dealer posted some his info for us to see, it sounds like he wants to resolve this. for that reason alone i would do business with them in the future. i hope it gets worked out for both parties. i'll be watching to see how it's resolved.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how much you paid for the boat. But if I could swing it, I'd be more than happy to take the dealer up on the offer to Get Out of it for $18k, or whatever could be negotiated. IMO, you'll lose far more than that if you keep it, which you'll have to.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Do the motors have thermostats? If not you will get no warning until it is to late. This happened to my HTM when I first got it. The dealer in KC dry started the boat several times in his shop. The first time I took the boat out for a long run it caught fire due to the exhaust hose burning. Smoke was my only warning the gauge never whet up until it was to late and the boat never had buzzers installed from the factory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.