Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Drive Stuck in Up Position >

Drive Stuck in Up Position

Notices

Drive Stuck in Up Position

Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the seals are bad in the rams.. get the rebuild kits (not expensive) and make sure the fluid is clean in the pump... some get water in them. mine just did the same thing. ill post some pics of the kits later and give u a part number.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with one of my Bravo 1's this year. Jumping on the drive didn't cure my issue either. I had to take the anodes of the rams then sand the corrosion from the anode off with 2000 grit wet sandpaper. I then used an 8 foot piece of 2x10 wedged between the fins on the drive. Have someone push the trim down button while you gradually apply more weight to the back of the 2x10 until the drive moves. Crude I know but the long lever allows you to apply pressure in a controlled fashion until it moves. It will move!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

ill keep everyone up to date...i plan on spending the day trying to fix it.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Registered

pretty unsuccessful day...got one to contract by using a car jack and the front bucket of a tractor. didnt seem to help. its still stuck. im going to look into re building them.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered

for anyone who is curious...i ended up going with used rams for $250. swapped out the old ones. we are back in business!!!

not sure what to do with the old ones yet. rebuild kits are $90 each and it seems like a lot of work to tear them apart. i was also told the hydraulic is never the same after you rebuild it. usually its more susceptible to corrosion and metal fatigue. who knows.

thanks guys.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does'nt anyone understand how saltwater gets past tt\he wiper seal then builds up corrosion around the "O" rings inside ? Take the rams and have them rebuilt . End of story.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sunchaser796
Does'nt anyone understand how saltwater gets past tt\he wiper seal then builds up corrosion around the "O" rings inside ? Take the rams and have them rebuilt . End of story.
i think you confirmed my statement. if saltwater gets into the ram, it is possible that the cylinder and shaft have been pitted or corroded. why rebuild them when everything must be replaced. like i said above, once everything has been subjected to corrosion the ram wont be the same.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just saw this thread Justin, glad to see you got it fixed.

Out of curiosity I'd be tempted to at least open up one of the bad ones and see what it looks like. If it could be easily rebuilt I'd leave it on the shelf, if the ram is all pitted, I'd just toss it in the can and look for another used part when the time comes that you end up needing another one.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
for anyone who is curious...i ended up going with used rams for $250. swapped out the old ones. we are back in business!!!

not sure what to do with the old ones yet. rebuild kits are $90 each and it seems like a lot of work to tear them apart. i was also told the hydraulic is never the same after you rebuild it. usually its more susceptible to corrosion and metal fatigue. who knows.

thanks guys.
I don't want to say "I told you so" but.....

I've got about a half dozen frozen up rams in my garage.

Glad you got it back up and running!!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
I just saw this thread Justin, glad to see you got it fixed.

Out of curiosity I'd be tempted to at least open up one of the bad ones and see what it looks like. If it could be easily rebuilt I'd leave it on the shelf, if the ram is all pitted, I'd just toss it in the can and look for another used part when the time comes that you end up needing another one.
eh rebuilding them doesnt seem to appealing espicially when i can buy used ones for $250.

Figure if I spend $90 per ram for a rebuild kit plus all the time and headache. Just not worth it especially knowing that they may just sieze again a few months down the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.