Notices

Keeping the boat at home

Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping the boat at home

We're looking to move in the near future and I find it very appealing to get a house where I can keep the boat at the house in the summer instead of at a marina.

A buddy of mine that lives in an unincorporated area build a nice brick driveway off the side of his drive and keeps his boat next to his house. I'm sure a lot of you may have done similar things.

My boat is 28' so it's not too easy to hide. For those of you that keep their boats at home, what are the considerations that you had to go through? I'm thinking along the lines of maybe a fence, some way to secure the trailer against theft, and very unsure of any possible municipality issues.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Registered

I have kept the Donzi at home for years, its much smaller than the 28 Pantera, I keep it covered and a Gorilla Lock on it and its hidden somewhat from the primary view of the street by shrubs.

When we bought the 28 Pantera - it was more difficult to hide, fact is I have a local warehouse/storage for both, but in the Summer they do spend alot of time in the yard.

Each set up is unique to your own specific geography and municipal restrictions. Fencing is an option - but it may be only part of the solution. I find that Landscaping, Fencing and a secure Coupler Lock and full Mooring Cover works well.

When I can, I take it to our warehouse...we live in a small ranch in a little town..when we have all vehicles out its a bit overwhelming.

It is awesome to walk out the door and work on the boat...but its not practical for me to keep the boats always in our yard or next to the house. Its usually a part time thing while I am doing a specific project or detailing.

One of my goals is to get a place where I can build a little Man Cave Building to house all the trimmings of life.... thats going to be awhile away

Good Luck

Danny
Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

If I was to use a marina I would not be able to afford the house.
Like said a good lock on the trailer and maybe get to know your neighbors a little and let them know that the boat yours and you plan on keeping it in case someone decides to come hook it up and say they just bought it.
Also if you plan on putting it on the lawn put a couple patio blocks under the wheels so your tires are not sitting in the mud.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes do a driveway, build a fence, plant tall shrubs and get a Rottweiler.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

I extended the driveway down beside my house and into the back yard. The yard is fenced and I keep it padlocked as well as a lock on the trailer. I don't have any neighborhood rules to follow so while it is mostly out of site, nobody around me is bothered by it. When I start it up on the hose it tends to get some attention.

I love having my boat at the house, save on marina expenses plus it is close when I want to tinker with it. My next step is to build a carport type structure over it.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered

If you have the space a metal building is a good option and there is a wide range of prices from reasonable on up.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by haulinvols
I extended the driveway down beside my house and into the back yard. The yard is fenced and I keep it padlocked as well as a lock on the trailer. I don't have any neighborhood rules to follow so while it is mostly out of site, nobody around me is bothered by it. When I start it up on the hose it tends to get some attention.

I love having my boat at the house, save on marina expenses plus it is close when I want to tinker with it. My next step is to build a carport type structure over it.
I did the same thing. I had the boat just on the grass next to my garage but it got REALLY muddy and nasty, and I would always drag crap onto/into the boat. Since then I put down 3/4" stone next to my garage with a 2x4 edging and it works like a charm. Nice and neat and clean. Get a hitch lock and you're good to go. In addition to my cockpit and bow cover, I also cover my boat with a large green tarp.....so that it largly "hides" what type of boat it is etc etc, and keeps the bird crap off and the sun from fading out my main covers.

Good luck....
Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Will you be building a new house? Or could you add a garage bay to get the boat in? If you have the opportunity to get it inside, I would do it. If you are building new, it would not be very difficult to add a 3rd garage stall that would fit your 28. Or if buying an existing home, you may be able to add a bay with enough room to sneak it in. Nothing beats having a place inside to go tinker on the boat during the winter or when the weather is bad.
Attached Thumbnails Keeping the boat at home-0928102141.jpg  
Old 05-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Garage is the only way to fly.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Registered

Move out to the country and park whatever you want wherever you want on your own property and you dont have to worry about shrubs and fences and what the neighbors think. A 12 gauge and a German Shepard keep anyone who is a little too curious a good distance away.

Nothing beats having your boat at home in your own pole barn to tinker with whenever you feel like it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.