Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Blisters in gel coat and other questions. >

Blisters in gel coat and other questions.

Notices

Blisters in gel coat and other questions.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blisters in gel coat and other questions.

Well my survey officially started Friday with the marina dewinteriizing the boat and warming her up for a compression and leakdown test prior to yesterdays full survey and seatrial. The surveyor came over Friday to inspect the bottom and perform some testing on the hull he described but I didn't get a true feel of what it was. My impression is it's something like an ultrasound of the hulls condition, he called me yesterday morning and told me he saw hundreds of baby blisters from the bow back to the stern on the bottom of the boat and wanted to know if we should finish the survey complete. Being a newbie and not nowing what to do I told him go ahead and perform the full survey/seatrial with a fine toothed comb and tell me about all the stray hairs, LOL!!!

These blisters sound very expensive to repair and a buddy of mine confirmed it, he also said it'll really slow the boat down and I could figure a reapir cost of well over 10 grand, OUCH.

People, I'm at a loss of what to do next. I think having the full survey in hand will give me a good place to start on either knocking down the purchase price or requesting a refund of my deposit from earlier this year.
I haven't seen the boat in person yet and although it has been my only chosen one I'm only slightly attached to it due to my fees of the powertrian/vessel survey and seatrial which I could give up on instantly and swallow the loss.

I've found another unit for very close to my purchase price 1000 miles closer to home but it has 400+- hours on 502MPI's
The unit with the contract has the same hours on 525 SC's.

I'd like to know what y'all feel would be the most appropriate way to move and what is the general feeling about 502MPI's from 1995. I looked online and found centrifgal (?spelling) superchargers that showed great power gains but I don't know if those engines are built with the same quality parts that the 525SC's are and if they could take the boost with some confidence of reliability.

As always, THANK YOU guys and girls for all of the quality insight you've provived me during my boat purchasing search and contracting.

Here's a link to the boat that is now struggling to be purchased by me.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...know-boat.html
I really do like this boat but I don't want to make a big mistake.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the sounds of things your boat has developed osmosis, the fiberglass is absorbing water which is not a good thing for a hull to have.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep your money and run, it will only get worse. Believe it or not a fiberglass boat shouldn't sit in the water without some sort of sealer ( bottom paint) it will be very expencive and you will probly never get it all out.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

You would need a lot of HP to push that hull, I would think you could find a better hull with 525s.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

------Husky,,,There was a guy up in Port Huron near me that did a bunch of warrantee work for Baja on blistered hulls. He was always busy until Bajas current transformation. He took a job down around Chicago a couple of years ago or Id put you in touch with him. I have heard he ended up moving back but I havent heard or seen him around........Bill S