Big Power from Ilmor: "Not for awhile." >

Big Power from Ilmor: "Not for awhile."

Notices

Big Power from Ilmor: "Not for awhile."

Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

“We already have engines from 270 to 440 hp (built for the MasterCraft tow boat line) and those would be perfect for smaller performance boats."
This is the quote I want to know more about.
I thought these engines were geared more for ski boats.
Would they really work in a smaller twin offshore application?
A pair of light weight 440hp would be nice.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
“We already have engines from 270 to 440 hp (built for the MasterCraft tow boat line) and those would be perfect for smaller performance boats."
This is the quote I want to know more about.
I thought these engines were geared more for ski boats.
Would they really work in a smaller twin offshore application?
A pair of light weight 440hp would be nice.
Isn't he referencing the fact the engine line up exists & there's an inventory of such engines for their Mastercraft line already built up?? Those engines aren't built in MI they are built here in NC at the Penske Racing Facility in Mooresville, same place the NASCAR, IRL & Sporty Car Teams live.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Mercury Racing's range of high-quality engines is unmatched. On that I think we agree. However, Ilmor has made significant inroads to the high-performance marine engine market without having a big-horsepower product. They've done really well with their product development and marketing plans to date.

Having a big-output "show pony"engine, so to speak, simply isn't part of their strategy, which has proven successful so far.
I agree..The irony in this statement though is when did 725 not be classified as "big horsepower"...It shows the evolution of engine, a mere 10 years ago 725 hp was unreliable ragged edge, now it is common place. I too think that ilmore should at their own pace work on power adders for their lineup, to me it would only make their products more enticing if someone chooses to go that route. Jason Heffner has been doing it for years.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I agree..The irony in this statement though is when did 725 not be classified as "big horsepower"...
Without question. Some of us "mere mortals" would be lucky to have such small power in our boats...sheesh.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

"But this industry will die—it will die—if the manufacturers don’t start paying attention to the smaller-boat market.”
Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Isn't he referencing the fact the engine line up exists & there's an inventory of such engines for their Mastercraft line already built up?? Those engines aren't built in MI they are built here in NC at the Penske Racing Facility in Mooresville, same place the NASCAR, IRL & Sporty Car Teams live.
I understand that.
But is there a difference in the build of those engines and how one would want a HP engine built?
Torque and HP curves and rpms?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Registered

I agree w/ Matt T & C-Spray both. Know what would make for a great story / comparison? How about back to backing an Imor 725 Indy pkg & Merc 700 NXT pkg in the same exact boat duplicating the conditions as close as humanly possible comparing the weights of the packages, retail price, documenting actual HP & Torque off the same dyno & fuel economy (not just published) using the same propellers for both packages etc.

We praise ILMOR for it's turnkey reliable performance then complain they don't offer any aftermarket goodies but in essence are the Ilmor Indy Drive packages helping boats achieve performance #'s that might normally require closer to 800hp based on the weight savings of the engines & transmission / drive parasitic loss efficiency?

Inquiring minds would like to know. And if this is infact the case then Offshoredrillin's comment about who says 725HP isn't big power would be even more applicable.

Just a thought!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
I understand that.
But is there a difference in the build of those engines and how one would want a HP engine built?
Torque and HP curves and rpms?
I want to believe the Mastercraft slated engines are based off GM production engines while the V-10's are obviously based off of Dodge's Viper engine.

Did you know that a portion of the V-10 build takes place on Dodge / Chryslers engine assembly plant line?? Talk about outside the box thinking, resisting emotion & sticking to a plan all the while seeking efficiencies I think this approach speaks for itself.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I agree..The irony in this statement though is when did 725 not be classified as "big horsepower"...It shows the evolution of engine, a mere 10 years ago 725 hp was unreliable ragged edge, now it is common place. I too think that ilmore should at their own pace work on power adders for their lineup, to me it would only make their products more enticing if someone chooses to go that route. Jason Heffner has been doing it for years.
Funny huh? The 2000's with super easy money saw an explosion of power and choices. Everyone has an 800 blown BBC now.

I call my gen 3 7-10 a mid range mill.

You can get more power from it but to do it right and keep the reliability up the cost is staggering. Alexi at Boostpower has an 800 N/A package and an 850 blower package, dont know the price on the boosted one, but the NA 100HP package is brutally expensive to do correctly- but very very unique.

Ilmor is being conservative and smart and going by the numbers not the PR.

Uncle Dave