Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wrecked skater - Twin 1000 HP's in NJ (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25273-wrecked-skater-twin-1000-hps-nj.html)

DaveP 05-28-2002 10:57 PM

It's a great tragedy. Our hearts go out ot the family and the Pjatikin brothers who knew them well. :( :(

Definately a reminder of how dangerous our sport can be and what we can do to try and make it safer.

SlickNick 05-29-2002 01:16 AM

i still keep thinking that this is a nightmare and i am going to wake up and go boating the next day with our friends, but i am a wake and this is reality! TODAY, REALITY REALLY SUCKS! :( :( :( .

SlickNick 05-29-2002 01:26 AM

the three brothers would do anything to help you or us, and now there is nothing we can do in return to bring them back!

my their souls forever be in heaven.
(boaters heaven, a race that you always win, nothing ever breaks, never need fuel, the boat is always waxed, and life is good.)

the pjatikin brothers

Tbonepmp 05-29-2002 01:32 AM

:( :( :( :( :( :(

46tomcat 05-29-2002 01:33 AM

in a small world of skater owners this hits close to home our thoughts and condolences go out to the family and friends.

drkind2000 05-29-2002 02:33 AM

My sympathies to the family. A tragic reminder that this sport
can be dangerous:( :( :(

CAP071 05-29-2002 04:18 AM

My Heart is full of sorrow, for the boaters as well as their family

I read this in a local news article, Did they own a body shop in washingtontown township?3 S. Jersey brothers presumed dead in boat accident
SEA ISLE CITY 3:30 p.m. Three brothers from the tri-county region, out for a Memorial Day cruise on their new speedboat, are missing and presumed dead after it flipped, ejecting them into the ocean. The men are Jeffrey M. Malia, 35, of Glassboro, Joel Malia, 32, of Blackwood and James J. Malia, 20, of Williamstown. They were headed up the coast to join family members at a gathering in Brigantine when their vessel encountered rough water off Townsend's Inlet, authorities say. Witnesses said the "Bad Kat" -- a 37-foot twin-hulled Skater, made by Douglas Marine Corp. -- was traveling 80 mph or faster when it crashed at about 3:30 p.m. Monday, says Trooper Nicholas DiJoseph, of the state police's marine bureau. The driver was believed to be Jeffrey Malia, an experienced boater. All three shared ownership of it after buying it in Florida last fall, DiJoseph says. "It appears to be their first big trip with the vessel," he says. The boat, which is built like a catamaran but has two high-performance 800 horsepower engines instead of a sail, is capable of reaching 142 mph. A preliminary inspection of the boat revealed no evidence of operating problems, DiJoseph says. The victims, who apparently were not wearing life jackets, were thrown into 60-degree water about 1.2 miles offshore. Without thermal suits or other protective gear, a person could survive in such water for an hour or less, according to Lt. John B. Hall, a spokesman for Coast Guard Air Station-Atlantic City.

MariaC 05-29-2002 06:43 AM

Life Jackets

The Asbury Park Press report states the Coast Guard found an unopened package of life jackets on board.
I don't think anyone was wearing, most people I see do not.
They think it's not "cool" to wear one.
I think if you hit the water at a high rate of speed, you will be knocked unconcious, and will not have a chance of survial.
Lifeline makes a real good jacket, it is worth the investment.
How important is one's life?
It would have saved this family and the family of High Torque Marine alot of grief.
Maybe they should make it mandatory.

RACERCHIP 05-29-2002 07:03 AM

I AM DEEPLY STRUCK WHEN I HEAR OF A HORRIBLE ACCIDENT LIKE THIS. MY SYMPATHY TO ALL THE FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF THESE 3 BROTHERS. I ALWAYS BELIEVE THAT THERE IS SOME GOOD IN ALL THE BAD THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO US WHETHER MINOR OF TRAGIC. IN THIS CASE IT SHOULD BE A REMINDER TO ALL, THAT A PFD IN A HP BOAT SHOULD BE WORN AT ALL TIMES.

ONCE AGAIN I AM TRULEY SORRY!

CHIP FENDT

HUSTLER POWERBOATS

trev-one 05-29-2002 07:34 AM

:( :( :( :( :( :(