Big Power from Ilmor: "Not for awhile."

Notices

Big Power from Ilmor: "Not for awhile."

Old 05-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,694 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Default Big Power from Ilmor: "Not for awhile."

Ilmor's Paul Ray is always interesting, http://speedonthewater.com/component...not-for-awhile.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why RP hires guys like him. Common sense rather than emotion.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by C_Spray
That's why RP hires guys like him. Common sense rather than emotion.
Paul Ray is a very bright guy and I've always found him to be direct and straightforward.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I agree with Paul on this issue and that has been our philosophy at Raylar dating all the way back to 2003. Build kits and engines for what we call at Raylar "Mr Joe Boater". He is the average hard working guy who gets into performance boating on a small scale in smaller less expensive boats because that's all he can really afford and its a great family activity and a simple pleasure that he can enjoy with his friends and fellow boaters. This is the one big hope and future for performance boating. the industry will not come back and survive with just big "over the top" boats and engines. How do you think firms like Mercury, Volvo Penta, Crusader, etc., etc. survive year to year. By producing and selling 1300HP engines! NO way!, those are just development platforms , marketing niche programs and products designed and sold for the Wow factor, not to build a business survival future on!
Lets all hope "Mr. Joe Boater" keeps on buying and owning the more average and affordable engines and boats otherwise this website and forum may go the way of the dinosaur!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
I agree with Paul on this issue and that has been our philosophy at Raylar dating all the way back to 2003. Build kits and engines for what we call at Raylar "Mr Joe Boater". He is the average hard working guy who gets into performance boating on a small scale in smaller less expensive boats because that's all he can really afford and its a great family activity and a simple pleasure that he can enjoy with his friends and fellow boaters. This is the one big hope and future for performance boating. the industry will not come back and survive with just big "over the top" boats and engines. How do you think firms like Mercury, Volvo Penta, Crusader, etc., etc. survive year to year. By producing and selling 1300HP engines! NO way!, those are just development platforms , marketing niche programs and products designed and sold for the Wow factor, not to build a business survival future on!
Lets all hope "Mr. Joe Boater" keeps on buying and owning the more average and affordable engines and boats otherwise this website and forum may go the way of the dinosaur!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Very well put +1 This is why I only have 6.2's, that is what the boat I bought came with that I could afford, and enjoy every weekend. I was at the marina last night walking the dog and seeing all the huge cruisers and wondering these boats are getting older and the people replacing these are far a few between what is going to happen? Rising cost of living, fuel what will happen to the boating? Will it be there? Yes but never like it once was the cost of a average boat now is one hack of a payment, I guess used prices will remain string at some point....
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally think they should develop and market a TT V10, even if they dont push them. It's well proven within the Viper community and I think it would make for good publicity and PR for Ilmor.

As mentioned, companies like Merc dont sell many flagship products, but TT monsters are what gets the press and brings in interest in the company. Honestly, if Merc only offered a 525 or less, how many of us would pay much attention to them... even though few of us can or will run out and buy their 1000+hp engines? R&D the technology for today and the future, advertise it, then reap the rewards through press and media attention. Have a high profile flagship product does wonders for selling your 'everyday' lesser products.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by SS930
I personally think they should develop and market a TT V10, even if they dont push them. It's well proven within the Viper community and I think it would make for good publicity and PR for Ilmor.

As mentioned, companies like Merc dont sell many flagship products, but TT monsters are what gets the press and brings in interest in the company. Honestly, if Merc only offered a 525 or less, how many of us would pay much attention to them... even though few of us can or will run out and buy their 1000+hp engines? R&D the technology for today and the future, advertise it, then reap the rewards through press and media attention. Have a high profile flagship product does wonders for selling your 'everyday' lesser products.

Just my 2 cents.
Mercury Racing's range of high-quality engines is unmatched. On that I think we agree. However, Ilmor has made significant inroads to the high-performance marine engine market without having a big-horsepower product. They've done really well with their product development and marketing plans to date.

Having a big-output "show pony"engine, so to speak, simply isn't part of their strategy, which has proven successful so far.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS930

Just my 2 cents.
I agree.

The Indy drive was built for 1000hp. Why would they do that if a more powerful engine was not on the drawing board?? I think Ilmor will turbo the 725 as that would be the least expensive way forward, both for the company and their customers.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

For every guy that wants a drive breaking 800-900 hp V-10 there is at least 10 guys that want a reliable 500-600hp package that will start when they want it to and make it through the whole weekend without a hiccup
Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rexcramer1
For every guy that wants a drive breaking 800-900 hp V-10 there is at least 10 guys that want a reliable 500-600hp package that will start when they want it to and make it through the whole weekend without a hiccup
Make that 11 guys. My Gen 3, 700hp Ilmors have never hiccuped and I'm running #6s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.