454 oil consumption....oil in exhaust, update >

454 oil consumption....oil in exhaust, update

Notices

454 oil consumption....oil in exhaust, update

Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 oil consumption....oil in exhaust, update

This is the update since my last compression, leakdown tests.. I decided to pull the heads due to several low compression #'s and several high leakdown #'s. I could hear air coming from I and E valves and compression didn't increase with the "wet" test. Figured i had some worn guides causing the consumption. I did a tear down today and discovered that the exhaust ports in both the exhaust manifolds and risers were clean and dry ( no signs of oil exiting through exhaust) but did find however that oil was already in the water jackets and intake. Thats telling me that oil is entering the "water" before entering or inside the head and not at the exhaust. Thought maybe oil cooler was leaking, the water tube behind the cooler was very slimmy inside, as for the water tube infront of it also. maybe the slim is just from years of being in water. Im trying to study the water flow diagram in the s.m. to try to pinpoint the oil intrusion. No water in the oil mind you just oil in the water coming from the back of the boat....way too much, i always see an oil slick when that (startboard) engine is running. Using about 1.5-2.0 qrts in just a few hours of running. The intake bolts were very loose but i would think that water would enter the engine oil at this location, as for the head gastkets, had to beat the heads off with a block of wood. I inspected the heads very closely between valves for cracks and none present. I will have the machine shop check for cracks though. For those of you that haven't been following....1990 pq 290 enticer...785 hours. Now...the port engine has the same somewhat low compression #'s and don't use a drop of oil, it however did have very low leakdown. Im just thinking that oil being in the water jackets show signs of a problem elsewhere. I will study the water flow diagram more. If anyone has any info please chim in. No water in the ps fluid.....??
Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered

How about bad or worn oil ring? If its in exhaust that's the most common answer especially with the amount yOur going through.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered

you need to look at the oil cooler very close, if it is leaking it will put oil in the water while running and it will show up just as you are describing. you will not get water in the oil because the oil pressure is higher then the water pressure.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered

i inspected all the plugs very closely, they all appear to be pretty good, all a dark brown. If it was using this much oil through the cylinders the plugs would be oil fouled....and they were not. That why i was leaning toward worn guides and seals, The oil is on the water all the time, not just at start-up. when i get home, i can look up into my exhaust tips and see the white milky sludge on the inside.. The exhaust is clean and dry before it gets mixed with water at the riser.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Registered

Unhappy

I have been researching oil cooler prices and it seems that they are indeed pricey???
Old 05-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Registered

Ok so not rings. Run without cooler and see what happens. Just run it easy and see if it repeats. If not problem solved and they are not that bad to buy. For your size motor there 150 bucks or so.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

I can very easly access the cooler now that the heads and manifolds are off. I took the cooler off just to inspect it and found clean, fresh water poured out from inside the oil section of it. I think maybe just from sitting inbetween uses, the fresh water is seeping into the oil cooler....of cource when running, oil pressure is greater than the water pressure so it goes the other way. I could rig up something to pressure test it but i think im just going to replace it.....cheap insurance at this point!!! I probably will rig up something to pressure test it, I just want to positively pinpoint something during all this...I will keep everyone posted. Thankyou!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check with Mr. Cool if you need a cooler. seen a bad cooler do what yours is doing.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

take it to a local radiator shop they can test it , my bet this is you problem i have seen it before.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered

UPDATE: went to lowes and purchased several fittings to pressure test the cooler, blocked off the water outlet and installed garden hose into water inlet, allow cooler to set for maybe 1-2 min and i can pour fresh water out of the oil fittings. I let it set for about 5 min and fresh water completely filled the oil cooler cavity and was running out......Fautly oil/ps cooler. I will still have the heads reworked being i already have them all. I will check some prices, my dealer buddy sais it retail for $410. He gives me 15%off but that would still be $350. I don't know why this little guys are so expensive...oh, wait yes i do.....boats!!!! Well, i feel much better knowing i have positively pinpointed the source...! Thanks guys. I'll keep everyone posted with i get her back together and running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.