I think I might be a dumbass!!! >

I think I might be a dumbass!!!

Notices

I think I might be a dumbass!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I might be a dumbass!!!

You may know that your a dumbass when you go against the advice of your buddy and the members here who replied on your thread about baby blisters on the hull of your potential boat purchase, but moved forward anyway.

My boat passed every aspect of the powertrain/vessel surveys and the seatrial except for the little blisters in the gelcoat.
The supercharged engines aced the motor tests and drove her to 73gps on the seatrial.
Here's the link again to my thread in the beginning
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...know-boat.html

Trust me on this people, for being a newbie I think I did almost as well as a seasoned veteran on the negotiations.
Here's the lowdown on my purchase;
2008 McClain aluminum 18000 lb triple axle trialer with electric over hydraulic disc brakes on 2 axles 5k, 1996 Baja 38 special 24k, 2000 mile delivery from NH to TX 4k, and 1700 in service fees for the powertrain engine tests, survey, and seatrial.
34700 total on a 40k cash budget leaves a bit to spare for the fiberglass work which I'll probably sand down myself to save on labor costs and then have a pro spray the new gelcoat.

Although I posted that I wasn't emotionally attached to the boat I actually think I was fooling myself. I believe what carried me over to the dark side was the history of the boat being the flagship unit of the Mfg's fleet and her being the official 1996 poker run boat of that year for Baja, the powertrain, and the long term ownership of the seller.
I always wanted a semi fast boat that can weekend comfortably. I feel pretty good that it can handle these chores. Low 70's in a big heavy boat like this can't be to terribly bad.

I'd really like y'alls insight, both good and bad.
I'm a big boy and can take my medicine like a man if you think it was a big mistake, I've made more than my fair share of them in my lifetime, LOL!!!
As always, you guys and girls have been the biggest assistance to me in this matter while searching for answers . Y'all have no idea how deeply grateful I am for providing me quality insight on my many questions since I found this forum.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

At the end of the day ALL THAT MATTERS IS YOU'RE HAPPY!

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the little projects to bring her back up to perfect.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
At the end of the day ALL THAT MATTERS IS YOU'RE HAPPY!

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the little projects to bring her back up to perfect.

+1 ENJOY IT!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Don't second guess your decision - you'll never enjoy the boat. Just get the blisters fixed in time for memorial day weekend!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Hey Husky, Sounds like a pretty good deal and if you are Happy that is pretty much all that counts that is as long as Momma is happy I mean..........................COngrats on the new Toy
Old 05-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered

You got it, enjoy it, don't look back now.
Good luck to ya and a big congrats.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Enjoy the damn thing .... have fun, be safe and congrats.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Just get the blisters fixed in time for memorial day weekend!!!
Screw that! Enjoy it the way it is. You have all next winter to fix blisters (which is what it may take). Good luck and have fun with it. It's a cool boat, enjoy it.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 588 Likes on 270 Posts

If blisters is all then Rock that Bi@tch and enjoy!
I could write a book!!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

If the blisters are small and you don't leave the boat in the water they should evaporate and disappear. There is really nothing to worry about unless they are very large. If they are big you should pop them and let the water drain out and get the pressure out. Then fill the holes with 3m vinylester to keep the water out. Then next winter grind them out thoroughly at the beginning of winter and let it sit open all winter. Fill and finish in the spring and no more problem. If you plan to leave it in the water it needs to be barrier coated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.