Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the dumbest thing you have ever done while boating? >

What is the dumbest thing you have ever done while boating?

Notices

What is the dumbest thing you have ever done while boating?

Old 05-29-2002, 02:26 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a buddy of mine lives right on the water, early last season (when it was still running) me and 3 of my friedns drove up to teh beach in front of his house and started shooting potatoes of of my spud canon at his place and thenj eventually at him while he ran out to scream at us.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well here goes,
1. First time out on my 22' Scarab i walked out to the front of the bow with the anchor,slipped a landed on my ass( on the boat) LAST time I waxed the deck.
2.A few monthes later went out with my girlfriends brother and had him help me reset the anchor right before a little ride.Needless to say he misunderstood the whole concept of what an anchor does and FORGOT to unclip it before the ride.Well thats okay the prop undid it for us.We dragged a frayed 21' rope for a half an hour and returned to no anchor.hmmm I was wondering why it cavitated for a second on take off.Oh by the way..if you don't believe this story....yup the girlfriend got it on video tape.c-y.....Mike
Old 05-29-2002, 07:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many many years ago a buddy and I decided to spend the night camped out on the beach in Silver Bay (Toms River, NJ).
We planned to go skiing the next morning at first light.
That evening a 30 ft sport fish pulled in and anchored about 150-200 yards out. We started a long distance conversation with the people on board (yelling back and forth).
They invited us out to party with them. Sure no problem.
We jumped in my boat and motored out, tied along side and began to have fun. The booze was flowing like water, smoke was passed around and in a short time we were all screwed up.
It was like that all evening. Talk about getting f@*ked up!
Somewhere around 2 AM we decided to head back to the beach. Started up and headed off in the last known direction that the beach was in. It was real dark, no moon, no lights on the beach.
My friend asked if I was sure I could find our way back. Sure, when we tied up we were pointing right at the beach. All we have to do is head straight till we run aground. I said with a slurr.
What I didn't know was that the had wind shifted and swung us around 180 degrees and I was headed out to the middle of the bay.
After idling along for about 30 min I realized something was wrong, it shouldn't have taken this long to hit the beach.
So I tried another direction. No beach that way.
Change direction again. Still no beach.
Now I've lost sight of the party boat. They had no lights on, not even an anchor light.
Somehow I managed to make enough turns that I stumbled across the partiers and asked which way the beach was. Laughing, they all pointed towards it and off we went.
Finally found it, made our way to the campsite and passed out.
We never did go skiing the next day.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:03 AM
Registered

this goes back awhile,
It was when I had my first boat as a teenager, took my girl out for a ride got to the marina,uncovered started up pulled out about 100 yards from the marina it stalled and wouldn't restart, so me being the macho man dive in with a rope tie it to the bow hook and swim in pulling the boat behind me,kinda embarassed cover the boat and as I cover the back I noticed the gas line was never connected

gee honey I really wanted to take you for a spin but????
must be some major engine malfunction!!!!
well she's still around but now I call her wife!!!!

Mattyboy
Old 05-29-2002, 01:54 PM
Registered

Joined this board.........But I am still boating