Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I killed 2 brand new labbed 30's in 2 min. >

I killed 2 brand new labbed 30's in 2 min.

Notices

I killed 2 brand new labbed 30's in 2 min.

Old 05-26-2002, 10:49 PM
Sunsation 32

Default I killed 2 brand new labbed 30's in 2 min.

I just finished putting my new 500's in today. We took the boat to the landing and on the way back to the house, which is only a couple of minutes, I hit something!!!! I bent one ear 90' about one inch from the end. I chewed up three other ears on both props. Theese props were just out of the box. I deserve the Goody's headache powder award. By the way, can mercury fix really dinged up props. I've never asked that question before.

Old 05-26-2002, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they can repair and fix anything.......but they put a dollar sign in every statement $$$$$
Old 05-26-2002, 11:02 PM
cast

Default prop

most of the time .

Old 05-27-2002, 12:11 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Sunsation,

Sorry to hear about your underwater experience

Merc can probably repair your props. However, when they are labbed, alot of material is removed and repairing them is a crap shoot. The leading edges are made quite thin, repairing them involves alot of heat, welding and grinding. The possibility of cracking is something you'll need to be vigilant about checking.

Whatever shop you use, have the props heat treated before sending them back to you.

Question. Did the engines stall when you hit the underwater object? If so, you might want to pull your drives down and check for internal damage. Also closely inspect the prop shaft for spline twist. If you find any, that's a real good sign that the entire drive should be pulled apart and inspected thoroughly.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 05-27-2002, 07:42 AM
Registered

You hit it right on tht money CAT...the knolledge here is unreal.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:15 AM
Registered

Unhappy dinged props

sorry about your bad luck !....but as far as getting them repaired you might try giving Hydramotive Engineering Co. a call at 330-425-4266 and ask for Thom or Gary, they do great work and can do heat treat after repair. Good Luck
Old 05-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Registered

Unhappy dinged props

sorry about your bad luck !....but as far as getting them repaired you might try giving Hydramotive Engineering Co. a call at 330-425-4266 and ask for Thom or Gary, they do great work and can do heat treat after repair. Good Luck
Old 05-27-2002, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunsation,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, first the 26s and now the 30s.

Ian T.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:30 PM
Sunsation 32

Thanks for the help. Cat is right, this board is and its members have a wealth of knowledge. I'm going to call Merc. and Hydromotive tomorow.

Ian, your right my luck with props sucks. The worst part about it is that I'm extremely carelful and this crap happens to me.

Old 05-27-2002, 10:40 PM
BucketHead

INSURANCE, INSURANCE, INSURANCE

I had two friends do the exact same thing on two different boats last season. Of course up have the deductable to deal with, but they got both drives and props replaced.

I would contact them first.

Quick Reply: I killed 2 brand new labbed 30's in 2 min.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.