Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   best 28 footer for the salt and chop (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/253489-best-28-footer-salt-chop.html)

BY U BOY 05-14-2011 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by boaty69 (Post 3402866)
some great input guys,lots of research to do now-thanks to all.just checked panteras website,the new 28 looks great-if i sell my house do you think i could live aboard?

Take a good look at the 28 Pantera in the link in a previous post for 40K very nice boat.

Uncle Dave 05-14-2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 3402792)
I had a Nordic 28 on Long Island Sound which snots up just fine. I wouldn't call it a rough water boat by any means, pretty hard hitting when it got rough, it's definitely better suited for lakes.. However it's a beautiful looking boat, great cabin...possibly the best out there for a 28. Great tooling also.

I once read a list you compiled about likes and dislikes of the Heat and thought you were extremely honest about the whole thread. Very stand up.

UD

ItsPeanut 05-14-2011 01:21 PM

Boaty, curious as to your location. I can only recomend a 27' activator as thats the only one in this range i have been on. I do agree with the apache, pantera , powerplay and saber though.

Mastercraft240 05-14-2011 01:33 PM

I agree with the overall point Uncle Dave was trying to make about the west coast vs east coast. East Coast is usually less show more go, where as west coast is directed more towards functionality. However, most east coast boats do have a molded in swim platform. Kryptonite, activator, superboat, OL, Hustler just to name a few.

THEJOKER 05-14-2011 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The boat that has won more offshore races in it's class the past 10 years.

Uncle Dave 05-14-2011 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 (Post 3403001)
I agree with the overall point Uncle Dave was trying to make about the west coast vs east coast. East Coast is usually less show more go, where as west coast is directed more towards functionality. However, most east coast boats do have a molded in swim platform. Kryptonite, activator, superboat, OL, Hustler just to name a few.

I'm seeing them more and more in teh past 5 years true so its less of a differentiators now than it was a bit ago.

I think Pantera, Sabre, Active Thunder and progression don't though.

UD

lavey jr 05-14-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wrinkleface (Post 3402398)
how fast will 1 of those run w/ a 525, 700???? thanx

Standard Lavey 2750 NuEra with 525 will run low 80's... Dave's 2750 is loaded with options; full cabin, AC, full setreo, tv, full nav + radar, and much more... His boat will run low 90's or solid mid-high 80's with load.

Lavey 28 EVO (same hull as 2750) which is a sit down 4 person, poker run/hot rod boat will run 105 with Ilmor 710

chris@uga 05-14-2011 09:18 PM

I'm a huge fan of the 28' Active Thunder with twin small blocks. The twin small blocks won't be bad at all on fuel and the boat has a great cabin, takes the rough really well, and has a nice deep cockpit.

Mastercraft240 05-14-2011 09:50 PM

More than anything, your decision will be based off what you like as far as styling. The ride will be most attributable to your driving abilities. Lavey, activator, active thunder, sabre...... doesn't matter. I've had Joey Impressica drive my Kryptonite in some serious 3 footers, real 3 footers, and to this day I've never been able to replicate that ride again.