Commentary: What if Reggie Fails? >

Commentary: What if Reggie Fails?

Notices

Commentary: What if Reggie Fails?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
That story is on my list for next week. I do need to check in with the Liberty Group.

No one said or implied doom or gloom if Mr. Fountain fails to get his new venture off the ground. In fact, that was part of the point of the story. I've been reporting on his stated plans. But it was time to catch up and see where he's gotten, and at this point the answer is ... not far.

What would his failure mean to the industry? At this point, probably not much (and personally I wish him well). There is no crying need for another boat company in a depressed and saturated market If he succeeds, that's a good sign for the industry. He'll need things like fiberglass and resin and engines.

Anyway, good suggestion on catching up with Liberty. It was on my list, but I still appreciate the input.
Looking forward to the Liberty item. I think the biggest drawback to a possible failure of RFP to get off the ground is that Reggie will have no legacy to leave to his sons.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no economist, but I do know that we are in a poor economy right now with lots of uncertainties that could delay our recovery even longer. The used boat business is doing well as people are glad to get what they've always wanted at a fraction of the new price. I think the bottom has been hit since when I look around I can't get anyone to take any of my lowball offers even though I really don't need another boat. I would buy a 36+ cat at the right price but I'd have to sell one of my boats. It seems the middle of the go fast market is gone, there is just the very high end (one of our TOPPS Club members just ordered a new 44 MTI with 1350's) or the very low end that is active. The "middle class" is doing poorly, boat and people wise. That is the class that is most affected by the volatile gas prices, as the small low end boats don't use much gas. Stabilization of gas prices is what the industry needs, even if it stabilizes at $6/gallon we could at least budget for the fuel. But the fear of the unknown keeps alot of "middle class" buyers out of the "middle market" go fast boats. So what is Reggie planning to sell? I thing he should shock us all and devise a 1500hp E85 motor! Maybe we could all grow our own corn, or algae...
Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reggie is getting more press and attention than the other boat builders combined. Thats odd.

Has to be somewhat frustrating for those that have paid all their bills and have come this far through the economic turmoil that we live in.

Some builders have spent time offering new models, some continue to build great theme boats and the others just march on carefully building reliable product at a pace that the industry can absorb it.

But this topic seems to get an extraordinary percentage of the attention.

I wish Reggie and his family the best of luck, and when he actually does something it will be interesting THEN to follow it.

The Liberty story will be interesting.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

MasterCraft is developing an electric ski boat. Give 'em a call Reggie.....
Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Reggie is getting more press and attention than the other boat builders combined. Thats odd.

Has to be somewhat frustrating for those that have paid all their bills and have come this far through the economic turmoil that we live in.

Some builders have spent time offering new models, some continue to build great theme boats and the others just march on carefully building reliable product at a pace that the industry can absorb it.

But this topic seems to get an extraordinary percentage of the attention.

I wish Reggie and his family the best of luck, and when he actually does something it will be interesting THEN to follow it.

The Liberty story will be interesting.
Not exactly.

I can't speak for other media outlets, but of the last 50 stories that have appeared on speedonthewater, three have been about Reggie Fountain and his plans. Nor-Tech, Cigarette and Sunsation had the same.

What's more, if you combine all three companies they account for being the subjects of six stories. That leaves 44 for other news/features and other builders. I could be wrong (Frisini moves pretty fast they may have snuck one by me), but I don't speedonthewater has missed any new-model coverage.

Powerboat has done two stories on him since he and Liberty parted ways. That's not inordinate coverage.

That said, I understand the perception and I think I know why it exists:

1. Because he is a somewhat controversial "public figure" in our small world, Mr. Fountain and stories about him tend to ellicit a lot of comment when any story about him appears.

2. His marketing strategy was one of heavy saturation to begin with. So a "Fountain, Fountain and more Fountain" hangover, if you will, still persists.

In short, he's polarizing. People either adore him and want to know about him or are sick of him and would prefer never to hear another word about him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.