Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Commentary: What if Reggie Fails? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/253508-commentary-what-if-reggie-fails.html)

Matt Trulio 05-13-2011 03:47 PM

Commentary: What if Reggie Fails?

A reasonable question answered candidly, http://speedonthewater.com/component...f-reggie-fails.

bajaholic 05-13-2011 04:49 PM

Love him or despise him, it really does not matter.

I do feel we ALL as a nation have a lot to learn about the importance of taking a risk. Not listening to or at the very least, take with a grain of salt the people are telling you how you are going to fail.

I am a firm believer that if you keep working to succeed eventually it will. Negative breeds negative, positive leads to success...

We have a huge amount of negative in the marine business/world right now, it is time to look forward, lets rally around the people and things trying to move it forward.

The past has molded the future! (Wonder where I have heard that tag line?)

Smarty 05-13-2011 04:55 PM

It is better to try and fail then to not try at all. And no one wants to go through saying, "what if" or "I wish I would have tried." I wish him the best.

In The Pink 05-13-2011 05:02 PM

I love his boats. I love his enthusiasm. But his age is what scares me. At 71, stuff happens. Then where does the company go from there.

Raylar 05-13-2011 05:50 PM

Why?

Because He Loves It!
Because It's all He Knows!
Because He Hates to Lose!
Because He Ain't Done Yet!
Because He is Just "Reggie"!

God Bless Him!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

offshoredrillin 05-13-2011 06:05 PM

I have been very outspoken at many things that Reggie has done as far as business is concerned...however...

I hope he succeeds, our industry and our fun will benefit from it. I have never been a fan of the PT Barnum antics and the whole cat killer thing, but I do respect peoples right to do and say as they please. I have also never said anything bad about any fountain powerboat, like ford and Chevy everyone chooses what is right for them.

Like the car industry I see the service end of it picking up, it makes perfect business sense for he and his sons to update older models and take care of the boats that are out there, I feel that Reggie knows that too, take care of the current client base and worry about the new ones as they come along.

As for his age, he is no different than any race driver that ages or any of us. I am sure that Wyatt has things under control. Even though it's not my choice, I always will respect what any competitor brings to the table, learn from the past, take care of your customers and grow from there...best of luck!

DollaBill 05-13-2011 06:18 PM

He can't. It's not an option in his mind. Or he ll die trying

TeamSaris 05-13-2011 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 3402577)
He can't. It's not an option in his mind. Or he ll die trying

Amen.

DollaBill 05-13-2011 06:41 PM

It is an interesting fact I guess u could say. Whenever I've thought I will do Watever it takes ti succeed I do. Period. It's cliche but when failure is not an option you don't.

Matt Trulio 05-13-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3402569)
I have been very outspoken at many things that Reggie has done as far as business is concerned...however...

I hope he succeeds, our industry and our fun will benefit from it. I have never been a fan of the PT Barnum antics and the whole cat killer thing, but I do respect peoples right to do and say as they please. I have also never said anything bad about any fountain powerboat, like ford and Chevy everyone chooses what is right for them.

Like the car industry I see the service end of it picking up, it makes perfect business sense for he and his sons to update older models and take care of the boats that are out there, I feel that Reggie knows that too, take care of the current client base and worry about the new ones as they come along.

As for his age, he is no different than any race driver that ages or any of us. I am sure that Wyatt has things under control. Even though it's not my choice, I always will respect what any competitor brings to the table, learn from the past, take care of your customers and grow from there...best of luck!

Great points.

For what it's worth, Mr. Fountain has been, at least with me, very candid about his mistakes. Here's a quote from my last interview with him:

"When pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. I forgot that. I put too many boats in the field."