Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Jimmy Buffet and the SMC (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25376-jimmy-buffet-smc.html)

Dean Ferry 05-29-2002 10:33 AM

Jimmy Buffet and the SMC

A friend of mine here @ work showed me a Thread on the Fl. Sportsman BB about Jimmy Buffet and how DEEP he is in this SMC Deal!!:mad: I checked it out and cut and pasted a reply from a Charter Capt. who speaks the truth about the SMC!! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!

"However that is not the issue with Buffet.

It is impossible to select out the music, the man, the philosophy and the effect he has on Florida sport fishing and boating.

Once again, when you buy Buffet music, tickets, T-shirts and doughnuts you materially support the Save the Manatee Club.

Reporters are trained to "follow the money" to get a story. Here is the chain. A portion of all the gross sales of records, merchandise and ticket sales go to Buffet's corporation. In order to shelter that money from taxes, he sets up charitable donation schedules to the non-profit Save The Manatee Club, that he founded. The SMC in turn uses that money, not to fund scientific research, not to promote safe boating not even to patrol to locate the animals. No they use it to pay D.C. law firms to lobby and sue the federal government to eliminate boat traffic and privatize waterways for the exclusive use of the fortunate few, like Buffet who can afford waterfront property. Countless dollars of our taxes and man-hours are spent by the Feds every year to defend against that these legal actions.

Worse is that they are effectively controlling access to the waterways and continue to try to designate "safe havens" which would exclude all boat traffic, like Turtle Bay for example. Manatees don't even go there.

This is what you get when you support Jimmy Buffet (who is from Alabama).

No one dislikes manatees; no one wants to harm them. But to use junk science and emotional pleas to invent an excuse to stop boating and fishing is wrong and must be countered.

Besides giving money to CCA and Standing Watch, to fight this, not giving financial aide to SMC is also critical.

So unfortunately it isn't about liking the guys music. It's about how he does business
and how that business is affecting you.

Politics is money is business. Jimmy buffet's business is not saving an "endangered species" (which the manatee is not, in the minds of real biologists) it's about making Jimmy Buffet more wealthy and keeping him in that exclusive social economic place that you and I will never be.

Everything is politics.

And he is a scumbag. You can tell him I said so".

------------------
Captain Gary S. Colecchio, self-absorbed, narrow-minded schmuck.
Silver Dawn Charters
Bonita Beach

"Lie? Me? Never! No, no, no, the truth is far too much fun!"
- Captain Hook

Well Said Capt.!! So everytime someone buys anything connected to Jimmy Buffet, they are effectively, FUNDING the SMC!! Here is the link to the whole thread.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/ubb/.../005230-2.html

Fl. Boaters read and heed
MD :mad:

CigDaze 05-29-2002 01:35 PM

Thanks Dean...

That is no surprise, though. :mad:

puder 05-29-2002 01:57 PM

a buddy of mine has a vacation house in harbour island in the bahamas. Its actually his grandmother's house but his whole family usues it. reguardless Jimmy Buffet is his neighbor. and has been afriend of his family for years. So his sister got married 2 weeks ago and it was a very big affair. They invited jimmy buffet and he said without question he was goign to be there. The prick never showed up and didn't even call or send word taht he wasn't goign tobe attending after saying he would. And he has known her since she was a little kid.

FYI he pissed off thier whole family.

CigDaze 05-29-2002 02:00 PM

Bats make nice wedding presents, you know?...:D :D :D

Dean Ferry 05-29-2002 02:20 PM

That's the impression that I get. He's only interested in one thing, his and his own agenda. I think a while back when I posted some othe data on Buffett, someone from the NY/LI area posted about how Buffet had got a "Special" permit for a 200' long dock exceeds the "Normal" dock requirements, (Somewhere on LI, Pecico Bay, I think), not to mention all the "Enviromental" damage from building a dock like that. And the SMC, USFWS, have pressed the Army Corps of Engineers into STOP issueing dock permit is Lee county Fl. Another classsic case of "I've got mine, now screw everyone else" You should see what my county, (Brevard Co.) is going through in trying to build a couple of new PUBLIC boat ramps!!
MD:mad:

Magicfloat 05-29-2002 03:08 PM

I remember a magazine article several years ago about Buffet.They were interviewing some of the locals where he lived at the time(Key West?)They refered to him as Jimmy Stuffit,wasn't well liked by even his neighbors according to the article

supercrash 05-29-2002 03:17 PM

Ya he does seem like a selfish prick.:(