Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Most accurate place to check engine oil?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/253796-most-accurate-place-check-engine-oil.html)

290enticer 05-17-2011 05:53 PM

Most accurate place to check engine oil??

For you that have been following, i have got the engine back together and running, found cracked oil cooler but i have been checking the oil regularly and have found that the level differs alot on the stick depending on where you check the oil. I have leveled the boat on the trailer, leveled the trailer, leveled the engines and checked in the water and all location are significantly different. What is you take on the matter....where is the most accurate place to check engine oil?? where did the manufacture intend for the oil to be checked?? I had it full on the trailer and was about 1/4" overfull sitting in the water.. Just curous what others tend to do??

Dave M 05-17-2011 06:25 PM

I never noticed a huge difference between on the water and on the trailer. But, I would say that in the water is what REALLY matters. On the trailer, you could take note of where your water line is and adjust the trailer so that line is parallel with the ground.

US1 Fountain 05-17-2011 08:08 PM

Next time on your oil/filter change, note where the level is at both on the trailer as it normally sits or while in the water at the dock. Then use those 2 as reference points for future oil level checks.

I never worry if it varies a little. A 1/2 qt either way is good enough for me.

Griff 05-18-2011 01:22 AM

The engines should sit level with the boat in the water at rest and that is where you should check the oil.

Dean Ferry 05-18-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3406096)
The engines should sit level with the boat in the water at rest and that is where you should check the oil.

+1 always check in the water, at the dock.

290enticer 05-18-2011 06:07 PM

thanks, guys. I will note where it is on the water and on the trailer in the driveway for a reference.

fastdonzi 05-18-2011 06:32 PM

After your next oil change add the proper amount of oil, then you can check it on the trailer and make a scratch on the stick, then check it in the water and make another scratch on the stick. You can scratch a small letter next to each so you'll know which is which. then you never have to worry again.

US1 Fountain 05-18-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3406096)

So you are saying boat builders will determine how the boat will sit in the water while at rest, and then build the transom at the correct angle to position the transom assemblies so that the motor/drive is level with the water line?

Griff 05-19-2011 01:05 AM

I'm not saying its exactly 100% level, but if you look at 90% of performance boats out there, the engine(s) sit very close to level while at rest in the water.

Transom angles on most brands of boats are all within a couple degrees.