If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    1980 Wellcraft Scarab 377 twin turbo, 1984 Formula 242 LS SBC/ Alpha
    St. Clair Shores, MI

Speedmaster IIs on early 38 Scarabs

Has anyone ever seen this? Was it a special order option? I looked at the transmissions and all I can see is a Stamped name plate that says Mercury. The transmissions were rebuilt about 200 hours ago. If they were Borg Warner trans's where would I look to see.

ST. Louis, MO, USA
    My guess is that they're II lowers on TRS uppers. Look for 2 vent holes on the back of the uppers. If they went to IIs from TRS without recutting the transom, the X dimension will be 2" too low.
    Velvet drives will have a tag on the top left (if I remember right). The Merc and B/W look entirely different. I think you can find diagrams for both in Doller Marines online parts listing.
    The Merc tranny was not built to handle much hp, I doubt they would have ever built a SSM/Merc tranny combo.
    Might be worth buying as a cheap project boat.
    My $0.02

Boynton Beach FL

The #II Speedmaster was introduced in the middle to late 70's. It was coupled to the Mercury transmission when it was first released. The easiest way to make sure it is a Merc Trans is that the housing was made of aluminum. The transmission housing not the bell housing on the engine. It also had a internal cooler so you will see two water lines going in and out of the tranny.