Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone marinize a viper v10? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254132-anyone-marinize-viper-v10.html)

SS930 05-24-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ILMORdude (Post 3411019)
We use the factory blocks with our spec internals. The Gen 4 is vvt'd for the car and also our 650 engine. The 725 has different valve train but the block remains the same. We have engines out there with over 500 hrs on them and some have touched 600 with minimal maintenance. You aint racing a 1200+ hp engine for that long nor are you going to make it last that long in a high performance marine application. At least not by our standards.

I love the TT vipers, they are bada$$ but its a whole different animal. And one which I would like a ride in!!

I dont think anyone was suggesting that the 1200+ hp engines were suited to run in endurance or the offshore environment. The point was the engines can make plenty of power w/o changing the factory block. I know of guys running 2000+ hp with over 30 psi of boost so the notion these factory based blocks were not suitable for 700 hp marine engines is BS. That was my point.

BTW, next time you find yourself in CT send me a PM, I'll be more than happy to take you for a ride you wont soon forget... :)

Originally Posted by sunchaser796 (Post 3411039)
Ray, you could'nt have said that any better than I could. The biggest problem that I have seen in the pasy years is that some people out would put a high horse power in a boat that they pulled out of a car and thay think its cool. But when the damn thing blows up and no one left on the boat to say "what the hell happen". Thats why we use marine engines in boats. But why could'nt you use marine engines in trucks and cars ??

Again, I think it was made pretty clear toward the begining of the thread that the factory engine would have to modified for marine use... no one was really questioning that after the intial post or two. And yes, with a couple of mods you could use a marine engine in a car.

Originally Posted by Tigeman (Post 3411072)
Whoa whoa whoa... Let's back track here. Since when do you guys run a VVT? I thought you were totally N/A? I'm guessing we're using a diff lingo here.

Sunchaser... We're not talking bout putting a car motor directly into a boat. We're talking changing cam, compression, changing to marine fuel system, alternator, cooling etc.

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3411080)
Pretty sure he means variable valve train.

These are Na/fuel Injected mills.

UD

Dave got this one correct.

Tigeman 05-24-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 3411147)

Again, I think it was made pretty clear toward the begining of the thread that the factory engine would have to modified for marine use... no one was really questioning that after the intial post or two. And yes, with a couple of mods you could use a marine engine

Actually even the original post wasn't suggesting taking a motor straight from a car and dropping it in. I was meaning taking a block, and building it from the ground up just to handle marine abuse just like you would a BBC! Rather it be with what aftermarket parts are available, pistons, rods, etc. Or scavenging some from imor if they'd even sell u parts/brackets etc.

ILMORdude 05-24-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3411051)
Ilmordude- no block change from gen3-4 then?

Was there ever a block change? (or mod to aleviate the #5 rod issue)

Boostpower had me send them detailed pictures of the block before quoting their 800 kit.

UD

Yes UD, Factory slightly changed the G4 block for VVT and slightly larger bore. We use our spec stuff which improves oiling both G3 and 4

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 3411147)
I dont think anyone was suggesting that the 1200+ hp engines were suited to run in endurance or the offshore environment. The point was the engines can make plenty of power w/o changing the factory block. I know of guys running 2000+ hp with over 30 psi of boost so the notion these factory based blocks were not suitable for 700 hp marine engines is BS. That was my point.

BTW, next time you find yourself in CT send me a PM, I'll be more than happy to take you for a ride you wont soon forget... :)

I'd be interested to see what is used inside the 2000+ engines. Who builds em? How long do they last? The blocks are absolutely suitable for 700hp marine engines, we currently offer the Gen4 in 725 hp. I will for sure pm you if Im ever in CT!! Thanks for the offer!!

GO4BROKE 05-24-2011 07:50 PM

But why could'nt you use marine engines in trucks and cars ??[/QUOTE]

I saw a 500efi in a 68 camaro at a show.

GO4BROKE 05-24-2011 07:56 PM

I would expect the na v10 to use less fuel than a supercharged bbc, but how does the fuel consumption compare to a na v8? Like these:http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o38621-en.html

Just wondering.

Marginmn 05-24-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 3411922)
I would expect the na v10 to use less fuel than a supercharged bbc, but how does the fuel consumption compare to a na v8? Like these:http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o38621-en.html

Just wondering.

Since I"ve owned my 38 Fountain I've had it rigged with both a set of Merc 525 EFI's and then a set of Ilmor 625s. . The 625's ran faster and used less fuel - no question about it.

Uncle Dave 05-24-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 3411910)
But why could'nt you use marine engines in trucks and cars ??

I saw a 500efi in a 68 camaro at a show.[/QUOTE]

You can an people do, you just dump the sea pump and wet headers. (make sure you have a recirculating pump obviously)

An engine built for endurance racing is similar to marine spec

They work great in performance car and truck apps.

Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave 05-24-2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 3411922)

Just wondering.

To a large extent it takes x amount of fuel energy to deliver x horsepower.

Those engine are every nice and I'm certain that company builds a strong powerplant.

Any carbed mill will never run as well over a broad variety of throttle openings, temps and altitudes as an injected mill thats been dyno tuned by an engineering company like Ilmor.

I've boated hundreds of miles in one day and didn't find a speck of soot on the transom, from seal level to tahoe - it just runs perfectly all the time.

Love my 8's. Looove my 10.

Uncle Dave

Machz1000 05-25-2011 08:33 AM

When Ilmor first marinized the V-10 they did nothing to the engine to make it a marine engine. The alternator was out of the car, the power steering pump, camshaft, pistons, rods, crank, block, etc. Hell, I even have the car fuse box in my boat!!! For someone to take the car motor and put it in a boat is simple. The hard part is making all the parts to mount the motor and adapt the marine trans to it. The other issue is the oil pan. The oil pan on the car is flat and designed for the car body. You would need to buy the SRT-10 truck pan and oil pick-up and then you would be ready to go!!! Tuning for the water is a big change. No Mass-Air, no O2 sensors. But this is all easily taken out of the picture with a tuner. I am no engine builder but I have gone through these motors inside and out. These power plants are awesome on fuel and make great power. They have different power though, not like a BBC. I have 598 hrs and 597 hrs on the motors in my boat and I drive it like I stole it. I have had both motors apart 3 times each to check clearences and other things and they spec out perfect!! I took one block to a ProStock engine builder and he didnt believe me that they had that many hrs on them. I have purchased M3 Prochargers and will be getting these ready to go in the boat this winter. That is a whole nother story though!!!

rainmn 05-25-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 3411910)
But why could'nt you use marine engines in trucks and cars ??

I saw a 500efi in a 68 camaro at a show.[/QUOTE]

That was someone on here - he had a thread about the build.