Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone marinize a viper v10? >

Anyone marinize a viper v10?

Notices

Anyone marinize a viper v10?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a few vipers. For the 97-99 vipers with stock forged pistons on the street they handle 1000hp all day long on complete stock components...actually with 2 turbo's to get 900rwhp all you have to change on the whole car is the fuel system and engine management....I was thinking about how cool it would be to see them in a boat a couple days ago actually.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Darko I knew some of the motors had forged internals, and my belief was keeping the boost low could allow the motor to live. I didn't realize the block was supposedly weak. The info the guys brought up is very good and should be absorbed.

Guess I'll stick to playing with BBC's for projects lol
Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darkostoj
i have a few vipers. For the 97-99 vipers with stock forged pistons on the street they handle 1000hp all day long on complete stock components...actually with 2 turbo's to get 900rwhp all you have to change on the whole car is the fuel system and engine management....I was thinking about how cool it would be to see them in a boat a couple days ago actually.
Slight correction, 96-99 had the forged internals. I have a couple of GTS's myself... including a Underground TT.
Originally Posted by Tigeman
Darko I knew some of the motors had forged internals, and my belief was keeping the boost low could allow the motor to live. I didn't realize the block was supposedly weak. The info the guys brought up is very good and should be absorbed.

Guess I'll stick to playing with BBC's for projects lol
I dont know about the stock block's being weak. One of my gen GTS's have pulled probably 100+ passes on the dyno and countless on the street at 1000+ rwhp, and many with the boost turned up to 20+ psi at over 1400 rwhp. Granted these were on the road/dyno vs on the water and I understand there's a differnece, but I'm going to call BS on the stock block not being up to weak to handle marine duties at the power level you guys are talking about!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive done a few of these marine V10's. Lol

Fuel consumption is phenomenal compared to BBC. Killer sound also. I love em!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
Slight correction, 96-99 had the forged internals. I have a couple of GTS's myself... including a Underground TT.

I dont know about the stock block's being weak. One of my gen GTS's have pulled probably 100+ passes on the dyno and countless on the street at 1000+ rwhp, and many with the boost turned up to 20+ psi at over 1400 rwhp. Granted these were on the road/dyno vs on the water and I understand there's a differnece, but I'm going to call BS on the stock block not being up to weak to handle marine duties at the power level you guys are talking about!
Im going to call BS on your comment because it isnt what "Im'" talking about its guys way smarter than me or you.

So lets see, Ilmor the highly vaunted engineering company capable of winning any race series with an engine design they can build from scratch says 700's the limit for continuous duty in marine apps in gen 3 form, and designed a new block from scratch to fix a problem you 2 guys say doesn't exist.

Boostpower (Alexi has a masters degree in engineering) and countless engines of experience says the gen 3 block has a problem with oiling the number 5 rod under continuous load, and charges like 24K to rebuild a gen 3 Ilmor to make another 100 ponies and live does all that for no reason?

Like I said I l know they can handle great HP for short amounts of time, but guys that know far better than anyone say no- who do you trust?

Uncle Dave
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ILMORDude - Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ilmor has always used production blocks, including the 725, right?

Tigeman - If you really wanted to try this project, ILMORdude could help you out with a deal on used/leftover Gen 3 engines, or even point you towards used ones. That way, you will have all the special marine parts ready to go and can concentrate on the upgrades.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Registered

"Slight correction, 96-99 had the forged internals. I have a couple of GTS's myself... including a Underground TT."

KUDOS on the underground TT, great builders. You haven't happened to play with any TTG's lately have you?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
ILMORDude - Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ilmor has always used production blocks, including the 725, right?

Tigeman - If you really wanted to try this project, ILMORdude could help you out with a deal on used/leftover Gen 3 engines, or even point you towards used ones. That way, you will have all the special marine parts ready to go and can concentrate on the upgrades.
Curious as to who made the design change on the block the chrysler guys or Ilmor I know the gen 3 block was factory but heard the 725 block was new.

100 runs at 10 seconds a run with cool downs in between is 16.6 minutes of total run time.

This is about half of what a single full throttle run to Catalina Island gets you- actually 1/4 because you need to make it back.

Uncle Dave
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's my understanding the the 650/725 is an entirely new engine platform, designed by Chrysler.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SHMOE
"Slight correction, 96-99 had the forged internals. I have a couple of GTS's myself... including a Underground TT."
well...technically its the 96-99 GTS with forged internals and 97-99 RT/10's. I just said 97-99 to make it easier.

I've been planning on putting turbo's on my 98 sometime soon here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.