Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone marinize a viper v10? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254132-anyone-marinize-viper-v10.html)

Tigeman 05-22-2011 04:31 PM

Anyone marinize a viper v10?

Ok yes I know there's ilmor and that's besides the point. I realize some like a turn key engine with warranty, but there's those of us who like to build our own stuff. So other than parts being harder to come by than a BBC is there any reason you don't see many building v10's? Used Viper gen 3 motors can be had for fairly cheap. Blueprinted, dressed up, and marinized for still substantially cheaper than the ilmor's. 800hp can be pulled out of those motors fairly cheaply and they'll hold it. So what holding people back? Is it the familiarity?

bobo 05-22-2011 04:47 PM

no one better

bobo 05-22-2011 04:49 PM

no one better

GO4BROKE 05-22-2011 05:03 PM

I don't think you will find it all that cheap. 800hp for the street may be easy and hold up, but it won't in a boat. I'm sure the cam for the car application has too much overlap. I think it would be one of those projects that snowball and cost a ton. Proper marinization includes coast guard approved,electrical system, fuel system, alternator, starter. Its a lot more than making it run if you do it right. I don't think they make much power compared to bbc of equal displacement, and they are fuel pigs. But I love the sound!

Tigeman 05-22-2011 06:11 PM

Bobo I'm not talking about company's. I'm talking about individuals.

Oh definitely cam's gotta go. I've seen what happens when a car cam is put into a boat. LoL. And like you said starter, alternator, etc etc. Even cooling system. Point is your still in for 20k as opposed to 60-80k. Although I realize some don't like getting that deep into their projects.

As for the gas hog... I thought the consensus was the ilmor's were better on fuel consumption than a BBC? So while still a gas hog, it's all relative.

Uncle Dave 05-22-2011 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Tigeman (Post 3409536)
Ok yes I know there's ilmor and that's besides the point. I realize some like a turn key engine with warranty, but there's those of us who like to build our own stuff. So other than parts being harder to come by than a BBC is there any reason you don't see many building v10's? Used Viper gen 3 motors can be had for fairly cheap. Blueprinted, dressed up, and marinized for still substantially cheaper than the ilmor's. 800hp can be pulled out of those motors fairly cheaply and they'll hold it. So what holding people back? Is it the familiarity?

It the availability of marine parts that the worst part. Sea pumps brackets for accessories all like hens teeth.

YOu can find good manifolds & headers from multiple companies even used for BBC- you can always find great used bbc parts.

Find more that one header for a V10.

Youd also need a sonny bryant crank and ultratough rotating assembly.

Street duty can see the v10 up to 1500+ HP, but you never see sustained loads like a boat when was the last time anyone with a viper put it under a load for 2 hours straight at 4500.

The blocks up to gen 3 wont reliably hold more than 700 and needs an expensice modification to the oiling system . Boostpower has done some of these and can make 800 NA as reliable as the sticker for serious dollars.

The ilmor 725 features and improved block that fixes this but that engine's huge dollars.

I actually prefer it to the v8 I've used all my life and it does make a great engine once you set it up correctly.

Thing is you can do it, but at a greater cost per HP than a BBC or Ford.

They are supremely cool however.

Uncle Dave

Raylar 05-22-2011 07:58 PM

If you can come up with the beefier block, special forged crankshaft, rods, special pistons, specially cast cylinder head that's CNC'd with special intake and exhaust valves, seats, springs, retainers, lifters, push rods, develop the special camshaft, injectors, improved intake manifold and throttle bodies, ECM with program, fresh water cooling system, oil coolers, fuel pump and filter system, stainless tubular headers, marine bellhousing, coupler, front and rear engine mounts, raw water pumps system ,hoses, special paint, coated metal parts, brackets, wiring harness, all sensors, etc. and make this puppy run at 6300 rpms, making 725-750 HP pushing a performance boat for 1-2 hours under full loads and last for 500-700 hours,then I think you should start immediately! We will all be there to cheer you on and celebrate your success! I think you might even get some KUDOS from the people at Ilmor! When you or others are ready to start, let us know.
If these things were easy or cheaper, anyone could do it! As an engine systems and engine developer and builder I can personally tell you "IT Ain't Easy! Or Cheaper!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

C_Spray 05-22-2011 08:00 PM

There are a fair number of used Gen 3 Ilmor engines on the market for good prices. If you want to go this route, pick up one of those and have at it. That way, you'll have all the proper marinization parts already in-hand. Let us know how it works out!

07DominatorSS 05-22-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 3409551)
I don't think you will find it all that cheap. 800hp for the street may be easy and hold up, but it won't in a boat. I'm sure the cam for the car application has too much overlap. I think it would be one of those projects that snowball and cost a ton. Proper marinization includes coast guard approved,electrical system, fuel system, alternator, starter. Its a lot more than making it run if you do it right. I don't think they make much power compared to bbc of equal displacement, and they are fuel pigs. But I love the sound!

Ilmors fuel pigs?? Quite the opposite actually. Been told about same model boats (won't mention name) one with Merc 700's and one with Ilmor 725's, Mercs were burning around 75gph and Ilmor around 48gph.

Tigeman 05-22-2011 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3409627)
It the availability of marine parts that the worst part. Sea pumps brackets for accessories all like hens teeth.

YOu can find good manifolds & headers from multiple companies even used for BBC- you can always find great used bbc parts.

Find more that one header for a V10.

Youd also need a sonny bryant crank and ultratough rotating assembly.

Street duty can see the v10 up to 1500+ HP, but you never see sustained loads like a boat when was the last time anyone with a viper put it under a load for 2 hours straight at 4500.

The blocks up to gen 3 wont reliably hold more than 700 and needs an expensice modification to the oiling system . Boostpower has done some of these and can make 800 NA as reliable as the sticker for serious dollars.

The ilmor 725 features and improved block that fixes this but that engine's huge dollars.

I actually prefer it to the v8 I've used all my life and it does make a great engine once you set it up correctly.

Thing is you can do it, but at a greater cost per HP than a BBC or Ford.

They are supremely cool however.

Uncle Dave

:Score-101010:

Exactly the answer I was looking for!!! Actually I didn't know ilmor didn't use a stock block. But thanks for hitting the nail on the head with your answer :)