Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254331-bonnier-acquires-powerboat%97powerboat-shelved.html)

Magicfloat 05-24-2011 03:46 PM

So who's left?

CigDaze 05-24-2011 03:50 PM

Well, you've got Performance Boats and...
I guess their rumor reporting was more than just rumor.

TheStorm 05-24-2011 04:00 PM

Sounds like they bought the subscriber list...must have been a low price.

It's too bad. No matter what you thought of the magazine it was still one of the strongest in the industry. I will miss both the editorials and the photo work.

ItsPeanut 05-24-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3411692)
Happens all the time. Buy the competition, then dispose of them. My company does it regularly.

This move leaves marine advertisers one less choice and therefore encourages consolidation into a single avenue.

Like it or not, PB was failing miserably of late - and it's no fault of their own, and it's certainly not the writing nor the photographic talent - but the market to support their regular printing and publication has simply eroded.

Sign of the times, I suppose.

I agree with the one less choice for advertisers but if you look through a PB mag and see the advertisers, to me it looks like the majority of them are aimed at what a powerboater would need. I dont see for example teague, tnt or custom marine advertising in boating, sportfishing and saltwater sportsman. But i am also not in the magazine business. Failing or not, i enjoyed getting and reading it cover to cover. Im sorry to see it go.

ItsPeanut 05-24-2011 04:22 PM

Is poker runs america still their??

Jason Johnson 05-24-2011 04:37 PM

There is Poker Runs America, Performance Boats and, if you want to count it, Sport Boat—a new mag that has published one issue this year but has former Powerboat employees Vicki Newton and Eric Colby on its staff so appears to be serious. Obviously none of these are Powerboat, which had such strong heritage, credibility and loyal readers, but at least there are some remaining.

As a former Powerboat editor, I am saddened to see the product being treated this way, but business is business, which is why I'm a former editor now. I truly enjoyed working at the magazine and can honestly say our staff gave 100 percent toward producing a great issue for our readers every time, no matter if we were at 140 pages 11 times a year or 68 pages 6 times a year.

The magazine definitely will be missed—Boating isn't going to replace it, that's for sure—but don't give up on this sport/hobby/business. It's the folks like you on OSO and those who attend the poker runs and races who keep this industry thriving.

Matt Trulio 05-24-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3411710)
Well, you've got Performance Boats and...
I guess their rumor reporting was more than just rumor.

Nah, the "rumor reporting"—two words that should not be used in the same sentence—was still rumor reporting. It offered no detail. It was a headline and two sentences that indicated not a single phone call had been made to either Affinity or Bonnier.

That it happened to be correct didn't absolve the author of actually doing his job and at least trying to check the facts.

Enough said about that one, at least from my end.

lucky strike 05-24-2011 05:05 PM

I just got my renewal for the next 6 months.
It's in the garbage.

JRider 05-24-2011 05:07 PM

Wow...wish I had the capital and knowledge to fill the gaping hole that the lack of Powerboat is going to leave. Somebody I am sure will fill the void.

Is Extreme Boats still around?

OldSchool 05-24-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3411692)
Happens all the time. Buy the competition, then dispose of them. My company does it regularly.

This move leaves marine advertisers one less choice and therefore encourages consolidation into a single avenue.

Like it or not, PB was failing miserably of late - and it's no fault of their own, and it's certainly not the writing nor the photographic talent - but the market to support their regular printing and publication has simply eroded.

Sign of the times, I suppose.

+100

So Casey Kiernan phucked me over for $49 for a subscription that I never received one magazine after renewing(after taking two of his employees on a Poker Run on my boat on my dime).......so who do I add to my list of people who I'm gonna punch in the mouth when I track them down......or will Powerboat be sending me a check?? :eek: :D:drink::evilb: