Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254331-bonnier-acquires-powerboat%97powerboat-shelved.html)

kap328 05-25-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3412690)
No appointed me the editorial police. But if you put on story out for public consumption, you expect comment. Otherwise, you stay out of the game.

The story was poorly reported and offered nothing useful to the reader. If I'd wanted to report the story that way, I could have thrown in the words "pending sale" and written it two months ago.

That story was junk in the interest of being "first." And I'll gladly let any journalist beat me to the punch with a weak story.

I'll tell you what: Take my story and that one to your local newspaper editor or Journalism 101 teacher, and ask him to grade them.

Now, back to the real story.

Comment:

If the story is junk then why this thread...I rest my case. I will take the high road and say that we agree to disagree. I certainly would like to invite the Publisher of Performance Boats to comment on your position and commentary.

However, I think it is inappropriate for them to come into this forum to do so.

The real story was the economic demise of a boating icon publication.... not who reported it first or bashing the messenger.

KAP

kap328 05-25-2011 06:50 PM

Hello Tank:

Well I don't believe writing a ton of commentary will overwhelm me. So I will try my best to disect this mess and address some of your illusory positions which are completely untrue or lack merit.

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3412750)
I read your reply to Matt as that you made calls to inquire on behalf of those that wrote the original article. To me, that's personal interest. It's more than, most likely - ANYONE else did. YOU following up and taking extra steps to investigate yourself = Personal interest. Furthermore it solidifies the point the article was crap…Even you questioned its validity (since there was no information in the article).

[KAPS COMMENTS IN BLUE:You can put what ever spin you want on it but in the end the bullshi9t was called out for what it was.

I spoke to the Publisher as a friend and the topic came up their is no personal interest other than a social discussion. Interesting you call someone else's article "crap." I find that very unprofessional to say the least and will remember that for future use on topics you author.

No “agenda” per say. However, I count those at PBM as friends and I’ve written a blog and assisted with testing for the magazine for over a year. So I do have a vested interest, if you will. Oh, and the original "news article" from Performance Boats was wrong, lacked content and mis-led the reader.
Comment:
The word "friends" in your arena is used loosely I'd imagine as I would not say such things in an open forum about other peoples work.

The way I see it you do what ever suits your personal financial agenda shhh keep quiet right. What about all the subscribers if you knew this **** was coming down being the insider at Powerboat you should have spoken up. Last time I checked it was fraud to know a company was going to continue accepting subscriptions and advertisers who are paying money and remain silent.

Give me a break if anything Matt T. says he knew about this pending sale months before but never said anything. That's right let all the saps pay their subscription dues including the advertisers who must pay for fees and then close the magazine. That is fraud and depending on the intent might even rise up to criminal conduct.

See below statement for an admission of the facts:

I would assume those reading information (on here or any other website) would appreciate Matt's FIRST HAND actual knowledge of the FACTS of the case as he can provide through his capacity as a writer for Powerbaot Magazine. "Article Police"? Hardly. But I see nothing wrong with someone pointing out the facts of the case and bringing to light mis-information. And I do think he presented his opinions and inside knowledge of the case in a pretty matter-of-fact manner. "Broke the news first"? Rumors had been flying for over a month. Anyone could have posted that. Most have more integrity to post rumors with out specific facts of those rumors.

Well I would want to know something many companies put out press releases if even to garner support for an acquisition or fend off a hostile buy. This was definitely not a friendly acquisition it was done to kill off an icon magazine to me by absorbing the subscriptions into other more valued publications of that group.

Ah! So you do get the point we're trying to make! A little more info instead of a mis-leading blurb (that again, was not true) would have been better for Pwerbt to publish.
What was untrue about the sale of Powerboat magazine...Answer: Nothing it was true....plus the uninformed interested parties subscribers and advertisers would definitely want to know something is up before giving up their hard earned money as a donation.

You're missing the point. I agree it is newsworthy. And I agree newspapers report on buy-outs and acquisitions of companies all the time. However, I fail to see in any legitimate, respected media source where “rumor” is the acceptable source of information. And I would say that if a major paper printed a sale actually occurred, when it hasn’t yet (regardless if it was pending), I would guess there would be some litigation to follow. Bottom line...Should've gotten the facts straight or confirmed it before it was printed. The source was wrong...It hadn't happened yet.

It certainly did not hurt anyone quite the contrary it certainly let people know of a pending sale far earlier than Bonnier would have liked...tooo friggen bad for [Bonnier] them.

I routinely check in on many boating related websites and reply to topics I find relative. I "spew diatribe" for RDP as an employee (paid to write editorials), just as I had for Powerboat.
I just like to know what someone's underlying agenda is and thank you for making that crystal clear.
And in the end Kap, I really don't understand why you would want to defend an article that was wrong and short on substance. Not like Matt or I (or anyone else for that matter) are attacking PB as a whole. Just the story. It was sh!t in an attempt to have "breaking news"...Kinda pathetic. Breaking news is great! And if you're going to play that game, make damn sure you're going to get the facts right or else suffer the ridicule of a shoddy article.
Let me help you understand when you describe certain articles published on another site as "shoddy" "crap" "pathetic" it is not a raving endorsement. As a paid employee for a site you are also nut swinging from whatever sack your paid by is that it. Last time I checked that is the game that is being played right. The facts were that none of you dip****s had the balls to alert people this was possibly happenning and the possible closure of a magazine. Even though you knew....problem is you did not think they were gonna shut-it down and hence you kept your mouth shut right.

How else could you explain the aftermath wherein you go on a tirade about how they did not have the courtesy to do this or that and give notice etc.... Welcome to the corporate world/office....I don't agree with it but it is reality today.

KAP

FOOTNOTE:
I will truly miss all the great articles from the staff at Powerboat magazine....Jason J. Bob T. Dick D. and Matt T.[Even though I disagree with him here I enjoyed his articles very much.]
It sure is funny to watch the wolves trying to pounce on the sheep now that the shepard is gone....:drink:So I toast to Powerboat Magazine always a legend and closely guarded issue in our home:drink:.

ctconsulting 05-25-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE (Post 3412444)
That does it! I am starting a new magazine, called "Boats and T*ts". Free subscription. Just send your best girls around for me to photograph, and I will leave blank pages in the mag, where you can paste your own boat pix.

Sign me up Brownie....where do I send the 100 bucks?

Boatlesss 05-25-2011 07:37 PM

So let me get this straight. Employees of Powerboat Magazine knew it was for sale and actively in process, yet they felt the news was to close to the chest to tell the general public about even though it was "news" to the industry (not insider news that affected a publicly traded's stock price mind you) when someone else broke the news they are the bad guy?
So, if these employees were in full knowledge of these events and they did nothing but continue to assist the company in generating revenue, possibly (loosely stated) knowing the outcome, does this make them culpable? I mean look at the comments within this thread for example, (I paid for the publication subscription until 2013) are they going to be reimbursed? Should they be as they unknowingly paid for something that they will never receive? Should advertisers pay their invoices to Powerboat Mag as (PBM) is not going to fulfill their obligations of being in business to promote the advertisers.
Tank, as any professional will advise you, you lose all creditability when you use inappropriate language in your discussions. Right or wrong, it is not needed. No need to bash as we would expect a publication employee to report not hate.

Matt Trulio 05-25-2011 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Boatlesss (Post 3412892)
So let me get this straight. Employees of Powerboat Magazine knew it was for sale and actively in process, yet they felt the news was to close to the chest to tell the general public about even though it was "news" to the industry (not insider news that affected a publicly traded's stock price mind you) when someone else broke the news they are the bad guy?
So, if these employees were in full knowledge of these events and they did nothing but continue to assist the company in generating revenue, possibly (loosely stated) knowing the outcome, does this make them culpable? I mean look at the comments within this thread for example, (I paid for the publication subscription until 2013) are they going to be reimbursed? Should they be as they unknowingly paid for something that they will never receive? Should advertisers pay their invoices to Powerboat Mag as (PBM) is not going to fulfill their obligations of being in business to promote the advertisers.
Tank, as any professional will advise you, you lose all creditability when you use inappropriate language in your discussions. Right or wrong, it is not needed. No need to bash as we would expect a publication employee to report not hate.

Employees "knew" nothing (and by the way, I've been freelance for the past 11 years). And that is exactly the point. You print what you know, not rumor or what you've heard or what might happen ... because sales of many magazines have fallen through many times over the years, and a sale in and of itself doesn't mean—at least in most cases—that the magazine will be shelved.

Everyone I've spoken to at Powerboat (and there weren't many folks left) and who had worked at Powerboat was floored by the Bonnier decision. No one saw it coming.

Kaps: First, thanks for the kind words. Yes, we can agree to disagree and I'm fine with it. In fact, it's a good and healthy thing.

redbud35 05-25-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 3412764)
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Hell no!

Indy 05-25-2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND (Post 3412927)
Great magazine got it for years Sad!I guess nobody likes fast boats anymore??

Plenty like 'em, fewer can afford them now.

thisistank 05-25-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by kap328 (Post 3412843)
Hello Tank:

Well I don't believe writing a ton of commentary will overwhelm me. So I will try my best to disect this mess and address some of your illusory positions which are completely untrue or lack merit.

Let me help you understand when you describe certain articles published on another site as "shoddy" "crap" "pathetic" it is not a raving endorsement. As a paid employee for a site you are also nut swinging from whatever sack your paid by is that it. Last time I checked that is the game that is being played right. The facts were that none of you dip****s had the balls to alert people this was possibly happenning and the possible closure of a magazine. Even though you knew....problem is you did not think they were gonna shut-it down and hence you kept your mouth shut right.

How else could you explain the aftermath wherein you go on a tirade about how they did not have the courtesy to do this or that and give notice etc.... Welcome to the corporate world/office....I don't agree with it but it is reality today.

KAP

FOOTNOTE:
I will truly miss all the great articles from the staff at Powerboat magazine....Jason J. Bob T. Dick D. and Matt T.[Even though I disagree with him here I enjoyed his articles very much.]
It sure is funny to watch the wolves trying to pounce on the sheep now that the shepard is gone....:drink:So I toast to Powerboat Magazine always a legend and closely guarded issue in our home:drink:.

Hahaha, your response is laughable. "spin"? Jesus, I've never seen someone spin something more than your post. "nut swing"? Who is it I'm nut swinging from exactly? Funny you should say that though, for it's obvious you're so far up the asses over there you can't see clearly. You must be a great lawyer - you can't admit when your stance is wrong.

Let me explain the absolute facts for you with no spin:

The writer of the article in question said the magazine had sold. FACT: it hadn't.

In an attempt to break news, they got the story wrong.

End of story.

Don't be upset with Matt or me for calling out shoddy work. I won't be offended if I write something that is wrong and people call me on it or even say it's crap...if it's wrong, it is crap.

On Time 05-25-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 3412764)
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

redbud35

Hell no!

:eek: My God you guys the GERMANS bombing Pearl Harbor??? :eek: